Inside illegal dog-fighting

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Inside dog-fighting Britain

By DAVE MASTERS
April 20, 2007

AN EVIL thug who converted the downstairs of his home into an illegal dog fighting venue was today jailed for four months after a major RSPCA investigation.

Vile Adio Clarke, 22, from Birmingham, pleaded guilty to four charges relating to illegal dogs.

The court heard that when police raided his home they found 11 pitbull terriers, all suffering injuries apparently caused by dog fights.

Here, The Sun lifts the lid on the savage underground dog-fighting culture which is soaring on Britain's backstreets.

THERE has been a dramatic increase in recent years in the number of illegal dog-fights where animals are forced to rip each other to bits for the enjoyment of sick yobs.

And animal cruelty experts fear the popularity of the barbaric 'sport' could soon be as bad as in its grisly 1980s heyday, where fights were taking place EVERY weekend.

Chief Inspector Mike Butcher of the RSPCA's Special Operations Unit told us: "If the present trend continues, we'll be back at the level of the 1980s.

"The number of calls we're getting about dog-fighting is going up and we're making more arrests.

"We need to put a stop to it, but I fear it may get worse before it gets better.

Heart-breaking ... dogs are left with shocking facial injuries

"Our main problem is educating the public that dog fighting is still going on in 2007.

"The perception is that it has gone - but it hasn't."

Brawls can last up to TWO hours as the dogs - mostly pitbulls - go head-to-head in 12ft-square pits, with devastating consequences.

Mike revealed how vicious thugs arrange fights as a way of showing their power and boosting their street cred.

"It isn't about money," he said, "It's about having the best dog.

"If your dog wins three fights, it becomes a Champion. Five, and it goes up to a Grand Champion - the ultimate award - and that's what they aim for.

"Owners put their dogs into a tough training regime for weeks before and get them down to an agreed fighting weight - just like a boxer.

"That includes treadmill work, diet, stamina, running around and steroids to get it completely lean with no fat."

Regime ... dogs are trained for fights

The RSPCA say dog fighting saw a resurgence in 2000 and numbers have continued to rise since.

They estimate that one big fight is happening every month with followers travelling from around the country to watch the vicious brawls, which are planned weeks in advance.

Mike said: "The dogs fight face-to-face so you get lots of jaws and teeth broken and bad cuts.

"They get hold of something and shake it and won't let go.

"Some dogs are left with broken legs and torn ears. Others are badly bruised.

"Fights only stop when the owner says so and throws in the towel.

"Dogs don't often die in the ring. If they do die, it's usually from shock in the days following a fight."

The evil thugs who take part in dog-fighting are often criminals who use the animals as a bizarre extension of themselves.

Britain, supposedly a nation of animal lovers, has had cruel animal sports for centuries. Bear-baiting was once common, and perfectly legal, in Britain until 1835. It was also banned throughout the Empire. Here's a picture of bear-baiting, probably in London, in 1796.

Fights are morbidly reported on in niche publications that use fake names and dates to avoid detection.

Catching dog-fighters red-handed has proved a huge problem for the Police and the RSPCA - with just 16 raids EVER busting them in action.

Most convictions relate to the possession of illegal dogs because it's so hard to prove they've been forced into fighting under the current laws.

The RSPCA are battling alongside the Police and Kennel Club to bring about a change to the out-dated Dangerous Dogs Act of 1991.

And they're also pleading for the help of Sun readers across the land - who have already backed our Stamp It Out animal cruelty campaign - to help them crack down on this cruel activity.

He added: "We're doing our best to stop it happening and need the public's help - they're our eyes and ears.

"If you see a gathering of people and believe a dog fight might be going on, you should ring the RSPCA or the Police.

"But don't under any circumstances try and interrupt yourself. This is the very extreme end of animal cruelty."

thesun.co.uk

Last edited:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
what a disgusting sport.

My friend Shelagh had her staffordshire terrier stolen. the poor creature was put in a ring with another dog, and because she refused to fight she was torn to shreds and left for dead. She got her back in the end but she was a changed dog.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Unbelievably cruel and savage... These people are non humans! It happens all over the world though, not just in England. Sentences need to be much tougher. I simply cannot understand the mentality of these people.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Ok, so this is gross, this is bad, and it happens. In Britan. Maybe in Canuckland, but I somehow doubt it. So why are reading this?

Pangloss.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It happens in Canada too. Our family pet was used in dogfighting before being rescued. It's so sad. These dogs love their owners so much that they'll do anything, even risk their lives in a pit fight.

I think people who stage dog fights should have to get into a pit with others who do the same and fight until one of them is dead.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
It happens in Canada too. Our family pet was used in dogfighting before being rescued. It's so sad. These dogs love their owners so much that they'll do anything, even risk their lives in a pit fight.

I think people who stage dog fights should have to get into a pit with others who do the same and fight until one of them is dead.
I'm so sorry about what happened to your dog tracy. I am passionate about animal rights, and abhor animal cruelty... I have three dogs of my own. I hope your dog does not suffer from any lasting effects.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Sorry for what happened to your dog, Tracy. Really I am. I have had dogs for most of my life, and not having one now (I'm out of town far too much for it to be fair to an animal) is leaving a really big hole in my life.

Having said that, I still wonder just how big a problem dog fighting can be in this country? I don't read about pit arenas getting busted, pit fighting owners going to jail, any of that stuff. Being a former journalist, I know the ratings these stories would get - so it can't be a conspiracy of silence.

Horrible, inhumane, tragic - yes. Pretty freakin' rare? I'd put money on it.

Pangloss

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Lilly has long since passed on. We got her when I was 5 and she died when I was about 18. All my friends were getting cocker spaniels and dalmations, but my dad got us a pit bull:) She was the sweetest dog I've ever had and absolutely loved everyone. We were even robbed when we had her. She loved people so much she let someone come right into the house and take our stuff:) She lived to a ripe old age and died peacefully at home. The only lasting effect of he mistreatment were the scars all over her face, legs and chest. She never bit anyone or anything. Now I have a 15lb terrier who is an absolute beast!

Unfortunately, the bigger threat to those dogs are the people who want to use them as guards. They tend to treat them very badly thinking it will make them meaner protection animals. Pit bulls are generally so ill suited to guarding property that you almost have to mistreat them to get them to do it.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Lilly has long since passed on. We got her when I was 5 and she died when I was about 18. All my friends were getting cocker spaniels and dalmations, but my dad got us a pit bull:) She was the sweetest dog I've ever had and absolutely loved everyone. We were even robbed when we had her. She loved people so much she let someone come right into the house and take our stuff:) She lived to a ripe old age and died peacefully at home. The only lasting effect of he mistreatment were the scars all over her face, legs and chest. She never bit anyone or anything. Now I have a 15lb terrier who is an absolute beast!
I am so glad that Lily's life in your home was so blessed, and that she suffered no lasting effects.
tracy said:
Unfortunately, the bigger threat to those dogs are the people who want to use them as guards. They tend to treat them very badly thinking it will make them meaner protection animals. Pit bulls are generally so ill suited to guarding property that you almost have to mistreat them to get them to do it.
Yes, I don't understand it at all. I have two Labrador Retrievers, and a Toy Poodle. As for guard dogs, well, the two Retrievers might lick someone to death, although one has to be fenced in away from the mailman. But, my Toy Poodle, whilst she wouldn't hurt a fly, and has the most loving nature, won't even let a bird come into the yard, let alone the mailman.