US man arrested for feeding homeless

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Police in the United States city of Florida have arrested an activist for feeding the homeless in downtown Orlando.

According to police, Food Not Bombs charity group spokesman Eric Montanez was charged with violating a controversial law against feeding large groups of destitute people in the city centre.

Mr Montanez was filmed by undercover officers on Wednesday as he served "30 unidentified persons food from a large pot utilising a ladle," an arrest affidavit said.

The Orlando area is home to Disney World and Universal Studios Florida.

The Orlando law, which is supported by local business owners who say the homeless drive away customers, has been challenged in court by civil rights groups.

It allows charities to feed more than 25 people at a time within 3.2 kilometres of the Orlando City Hall only if they have a special permit.

They are able to receive two permits a year.

Police have collected a vial of the stew Mr Montanez was serving as evidence.

Police spokeswoman Barbara Jones says it is the first time anyone had been arrested under the feeding ban.

Mr Montanez has been charged with a misdemeanour.

- Reuters

tanakar

Nominee Member
Feb 14, 2007
Ontario
Police in the United States city of Florida have arrested an activist for feeding the homeless in downtown Orlando.

According to police, Food Not Bombs charity group spokesman Eric Montanez was charged with violating a controversial law against feeding large groups of destitute people in the city centre.

Mr Montanez was filmed by undercover officers on Wednesday as he served "30 unidentified persons food from a large pot utilising a ladle," an arrest affidavit said.

The Orlando area is home to Disney World and Universal Studios Florida.

The Orlando law, which is supported by local business owners who say the homeless drive away customers, has been challenged in court by civil rights groups.

It allows charities to feed more than 25 people at a time within 3.2 kilometres of the Orlando City Hall only if they have a special permit.

They are able to receive two permits a year.

Police have collected a vial of the stew Mr Montanez was serving as evidence.

Police spokeswoman Barbara Jones says it is the first time anyone had been arrested under the feeding ban.

Mr Montanez has been charged with a misdemeanour.

- Reuters

What sort of backwards world is it where charity is a crime? Is it best to NOT get involved and let them starve instead?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Most cities have similar laws, they just disguise them better.

Health codes would prohibit this in many cities.

Anti-loitering bylaws would prevent it in others.

It sucks, but when it comes right down to it, there are reasons.

1. Potentially making homeless people ill through bad food handling practises undermines what you are trying to do.

2. It alienates business owners by driving away customers. This creates less charity, not more.

3. It alienates the governments which try to help soup kitchens through grants, again, creating less charity. Each city makes money through its image. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. Good image means more money. More money means more taxes, which increases a city's ability to aid the homeless, etc. Large scale 'feedings' make a city look bad, injuring its earning potential.

Even the kindest cities have to find a balance between trying to be helpful and trying to keep businesses, and their average contituents, happy.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
What I wonder is what programs Orlando has to feed and shelter the homeless. Maybe part of the problem is, they are choosing for what ever reason to not use the services provided by the city. I understand wanting to help someone out that looks in need but maybe people need to give more to city services. Personally, I am more inclined to buy a homeless person something to eat then I am to give them money. The only time I ever give them money is when they give me directions. lol

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

1. Potentially making homeless people ill through bad food handling practises undermines what you are trying to do.

2. It alienates business owners by driving away customers. This creates less charity, not more.

3. It alienates the governments which try to help soup kitchens through grants, again, creating less charity. Each city makes money through its image. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. Good image means more money. More money means more taxes, which increases a city's ability to aid the homeless, etc. Large scale 'feedings' make a city look bad, injuring its earning potential.

Even the kindest cities have to find a balance between trying to be helpful and trying to keep businesses, and their average contituents, happy.

Could not have said it better myself. These people that wish to help, can do so by going to an organization that helps the situation.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Could not have said it better myself. These people that wish to help, can do so by going to an organization that helps the situation.

Maybe that is the better way but how can anyone tell you who you can and cannot give money or food to. If someone one day feels like being generous and helping one person in need for whatever reason why on earth should we prohibit them. Isn’t it their money to do with what they want? Sure they might be able to use it in a more helpful way but it is their choice? Isn't it better then throwing it away on takeout or beer?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Feeding the poor is a mandate according to the Bible's laws. As we are a Christian professing Nation we are obligated to respect what that man has done.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
There's also a chance the man mistook them for pigeons. It is against the law to feed the birds in many cities as they soon become a nuisance. If indeed he mistook them for pigeons, it's also likely he's breaking many human rights laws as well. We shouldn't have to live in a society with a pecking order.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Feeding the poor is a mandate according to the Bible's laws. As we are a Christian professing Nation we are obligated to respect what that man has done.

Feeding the poor is a basic moral injunction for anybody, regardless of Creed . There is NO excuse in this country, or the USA, for anybody starving.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
sanctus said:
Feeding the poor is a basic moral injunction for anybody, regardless of Creed . There is NO excuse in this country, or the USA, for anybody starving.

Amen to that statement!

But note how the prohibitive law is in Florida {a red state} and, like the :evil:Republican governor:evil: and its legislature, is Christian professing. These antichrists will exploit the Bible to proclaim themselves holier-than-thou and to attract votes every year on the grounds that Democrats are "godless". Yet, when it comes to dealing with people on a daily basis they throw the Bible out the window and into the gutter. Nobody takes God's name in vain more than they do but somehow they are above accountability. And that's as evil as it gets.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
>>>Police in the United States city of Florida have arrested an activist for feeding the homeless in downtown Orlando.<<<

when did florida become a city?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

You took the words right out of my mouth, well actually you said it nicer then I would have.

Here, you deserve these...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Feeding the poor may be expected, but, is it immoral for a city to pass by-laws on where they may be fed? I know where I live, if I were to try to get a permit to open a soup kitchen in the busy downtown core, or near a residential neighborhood, I would likely be turned down. More rundown areas, or areas along the industrial border of the city, are most likely where I would be told I could set up a soup kitchen. This is pretty common of most areas, and doesn't especially set Orlando apart, except perhaps for their poor choice of wording, and lack of tact in enforcing their by-laws.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

Have you ever been to a soup kitchen or a pantry? I have......Its no where near easy to get there........they are usualally WAY off the bus system. And in my case its 6 miles away from where I live. With gas prices its imposibble to get to the nearest pantry.......and Im lucky I have a car. And I DONT go because it cost to much to get there!!

Oh yes lets hide our hungry our poor our insane so the public doesnt have to see the grim reality of how callus our society REALLY is!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Have you ever been to a soup kitchen or a pantry? I have......Its no where near easy to get there........they are usualally WAY off the bus system. And in my case its 6 miles away from where I live. With gas prices its imposibble to get to the nearest pantry.......and Im lucky I have a car. And I DONT go because it cost to much to get there!!

Oh yes lets hide our hungry our poor our insane so the public doesnt have to see the grim reality of how callus our society REALLY is!

I think it blows too Self. Personally, I understand why people make the by-laws like they do, BUT... if you're involved in making these sorts of by-laws, you'd best be involved also in making sure the buses run to these areas, and people have bus tickets, or transportation of some sort. ESPECIALLY for pantries. Most people I know who need food banks have no way to get the food home, so can only take tiny amounts. Many church members are involved in delivering orders because of it.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Our town's Mayor has made it against the law for people to hang out down town....Why? because its Richmonds 400th aniversary. And its unsightly. Screw that......arrest people for being homeless? Wheres the sense in that? I go to the pantry if its absolutely dire need cause it costs me 5 in gas to get there! Its degrading enough to be without food let alone needing it and not being able to get there! The lil deaf girl down there gets mad at me for not coming more often and when I do go (twice a year tops) Im in tears. ......im done.......im gonna go watch my movie. This world isnt going to ever change until it developes compassion.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Our town's Mayor has made it against the law for people to hang out down town....Why? because its Richmonds 400th aniversary. And its unsightly. Screw that......arrest people for being homeless? Wheres the sense in that? I go to the pantry if its absolutely dire need cause it costs me 5 in gas to get there! Its degrading enough to be without food let alone needing it and not being able to get there! The lil deaf girl down there gets mad at me for not coming more often and when I do go (twice a year tops) Im in tears. ......im done.......im gonna go watch my movie. This world isnt going to ever change until it developes compassion.

I truly don't believe compassion is the only thing getting in the way of the world changing.

So often people are not willing to ask for help when it's needed. If frustrates me personally. I pay money in taxes (we lose in the neighborhood of 43% of our money to taxes), and I spend money and give food to support food banks. To know that there are government programs I've been forced to pay into, and other programs Ive chosen to pay into, which are available, and someone is letting themselves go hungry rather than use them... it frustrates me to no end.

if people would ask for help when it's needed, rather than when it's too late, it would help a lot. Your case is a prime example. What stops you from heading to the pantry when you are down to the last $15 in grocery money? That way you know you have money for gas. Why spend every last cent before being willing to go? You deserve more. People contribute, so that you can have more, not have to leave it until you're in absolute desperation. You're worth that.

And as for your mayor's law... hmmm... I'm torn on that. Knowing that the homeless will be picked up, and dealt with in some manner, that's not a bad thing necessarily. Especially since in the city I'm moving to, most of the 'loitering' is from panhandling teens looking for drinking money, not actual homeless people. But, if you have to pick up a homeless person, then you have to address their homelessness in some way shape or form. Setting them up in shelters, finding a social program in which they would fit. I've seen the results of invisible homelessness, when my friend worked the Pickton pig farm dig, helping to sift through the dirt and pig excrement for bits of bone and teeth from dead hookers that no one knew were gone. I'd much rather those poor women had been arrested and acknowledged, had been on someone's agenda, someone's list of things to change. Allowing them to walk the streets isn't an answer.