Police quiz boy, 10, for calling schoolfriend 'gay'

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
A father criticised a police force today for launching an investigation after his ten-year-old son allegedly called a schoolfriend “gay” in an email.​
Company director Alan Rawlinson said he was astounded after two police officers arrived at his home in Bold Heath, Cheshire, to speak to his son George.​
The officers were called earlier this month after a parent complained that George had called her son a “gay boy” in an email.​
Mr Rawlinson, 41, said: “I could not believe what I was hearing when the officers told me.​
“They told me they considered it a very serious offence, I thought they were joking at first.​
“I run a construction company and have to deal with problems of theft and the like everyday. My wife is a magistrate and sees serious crimes all the time so this just seemed like a huge waste of resources for something so trivial.​
“I am furious about what has happened, it just seems the politically correct brigade are taking over.”​
Mr Rawlinson said his son, who is a pupil at Farnworth Primary School in Widnes, was terrified when police arrived and asked him if he would be arrested.​
He added: “I think the police do a good job but I think their hands are tied by this political correctness.​
“My son is not anti anybody, he is too young to have made judgments about people and we have always taught him to judge people as he finds them.​
“There is no evidence he sent this email but even if he did I’m sure the words have been taken the wrong way.​
“If somebody had called the police about something like this in my day they would have laughed - they certainly wouldn’t have sent two officers out. It is completely ridiculous.”​
Inspector Nick Bailey, of Cheshire Constabulary, said: “The matter was reported to police as the parents of the boy believed it was more sinister than just a schoolyard prank.​
“We were obliged to record the matter as a crime and we took a proper, and maybe an old fashioned, view.​
“Going to the boy’s house was a reasonable course of action to take. We do not feel this is something that should be pursued.​
“My understanding is that this message was part of some behaviour that has been ongoing.​
“The use of the word gay would imply this is homophobic but we would be hard-pushed to say this is a homophobic crime.​
“This boy has not been treated as an offender.”​

snfu73

disturber of the peace
If name calling every becomes a crime you can kiss free speach goodbye.
So, you support bullying and harrasment?

It does sound like things may have gotten too far, BUT, bullying is a huge issue in schools and among kids, and gender identification issues are too often at the centre of it, and that is unfortunate. Anyway, without being able to read the rest of the email it is hard to make much of an assessment...or without knowing what else took place, then, who knows. Were the parents approached by the others parents? What was the initial reaction? Was there a history of bullying by this person? What did the rest of the email say? What context was used? We can all jump to conclusions, but there is just too little information here to base this on. What about an interview with the parents who sent the police? Or the police themselves? This is a one sided story. We need to know more.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Differences in Public education from 40 years ago

Scenario: Jack goes duck hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1966: Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack’s shotgun, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2006: School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1966: Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006: Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won’t be still in class, disrupts other students.

1966: Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2006: Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor’s car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1966: Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006: Billy’s Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy’s sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy’s mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1966: Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006: Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1966: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2006: Pedro’s cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro’s English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can’t speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1966: Ants die.

2006: BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny’s Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1966: In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006: Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Common sense has gone AWOL. A police state mentality is falling on the West. Another sign of our decline. It all has got so stupid. Shamelessly idiotic.
Thomaska, good post!
Hey, I used to work with teachers a lot. Back in the 70's we would actually have a beer together in the boiler room of a school. Imagine the scandal today!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I don't think any kind of verbal abuse can be punished like this. It's not a matter for the police. The first people who should think about it are the participants. At school, the next people are the teachers and then the parents, anywhere else, the other way round. When it turns violent, then the police can get involved if it's serious enough. Police have better things to do than deal with a snotty kid calling someone gay.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It should have been handled in-house for sure. If we enshrine the pursuit and prosecution of minor offences like this we will quickly bring the courts of the country to a halt. And bring the administration of justice into complete disrepute.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I know most people feel this is an over action but I lived a school life of horror. In 5th grade a bunch of girls scrubbed skunk cabbage in my face. in 6th grade I was called fat, tub o lard, freak, on and on and on. As a freshman Theolder kids cut my long hair and put it on fire. I was called every name in the book. On top of being abused at home I was being terrorised at school. In Sophmore year. It came to a head. Three boys beat the day lights out of me breaking my collarbone, my nose, 3 ribs and all the blood vessels in both eyes leaving a tumor in my right eye.

What was done? One boy was suspended the other two were warned thats it......nothing else out of ALL those insident. So maybe it was an over kill but I gaurentee you that child wont ever do it again.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I know most people feel this is an over action but I lived a school life of horror. In 5th grade a bunch of girls scrubbed skunk cabbage in my face. in 6th grade I was called fat, tub o lard, freak, on and on and on. As a freshman Theolder kids cut my long hair and put it on fire. I was called every name in the book. On top of being abused at home I was being terrorised at school. In Sophmore year. It came to a head. Three boys beat the day lights out of me breaking my collarbone, my nose, 3 ribs and all the blood vessels in both eyes leaving a tumor in my right eye.

What was done? One boy was suspended the other two were warned thats it......nothing else out of ALL those insident. So maybe it was an over kill but I gaurentee you that child wont ever do it again.

the physical violence those kids offered you was a matter for police, i'm sure. But calling you tub o' lard and other names... well it's rude and it's nasty but not a job for the police.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
When I was 5 years old I got into a fight with a 7 year old girl. Her parents phoned the police. My dad answered the door and was a little surpised to see a policeman looking for me. The cop didn't stick around too long nor did I do any hard time.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Teachers, parents and the kids themselves ought to be able to deal with name-calling on their own. the police needn't get involved at that stage, it's wasting their time. I agree, though, that if it goes unpunished the small stuff leads to the big stuff, which is what appears to have happened in self's story. Which is why parents and teachers should realise their repsonsibilities and kids should be taught to think twice about doing anything which affects other people. Consideration and empathy.

empathy again.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I think a distinction needs to be made between an isolated incident and continuous harassment. If it is an isolated incident then it doesn’t make sense for police to get involved except for the fact that part of the role of police is education and community involvement. If on the other hand the kid is being continuously harassed by the same person then it could be a matter for the police. However, what constitutes continuous harassment and how do you prove it is kind of gray. It is best for people to deal with things themselves whenever possible.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
LOL. Police have been trying to scare kids straight for all sorts of misbehavior for as long as there have been police around. I can't believe people are acting as if this is something new or unusual. Sure, the school bullying is a new pet project of theirs, but it is firmly believed that bullying spawns all sorts of other issues.

One visit from the RCMP to scare your kid a bit over a stupid e-mail sure beats having to go identify your kid in the morgue because the kid he kept on bullying after that first e-mail, ended up shooting him and twenty other people before turning the gun on himself.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think the police should be involved in the disciplining of ten year old children for name-calling. This was extreme overkill. Thomaska gave some good examples of where gross over reaction could lead.