Must see fetal ultrasound before abortion

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
So, whats you guys' opinion on this?

COLUMBIA, S.C. --

Women seeking abortions in South Carolina would be required to view an ultrasound image of their fetus before the procedure under a proposal gaining support from lawmakers. If enacted, it would be the first law of its kind in the nation.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/205/story/53792.html

I think the usual exceptions for rape and incest apply.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Good for S. Carolina.

Make the mothers see the baby's ultrasound and hear its heartbeat before they abort it.

I'm sorry but unless its rape or incest, I can never accept abortion.

Not these days when you can prevent pregancies so readily with condoms and BirthControl.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I can't go along with this ...

Big Brother tactics are not going to change anyone's life view...

Choice and education are the only paths to follow when it comes to creating full knowledge and realization for individuals.

Government must stay out of the personal life of all people unless they are unable to physically or mentally carry on a normal life.

Caveat: Before everyone cries 'foul'....Abortion is not birth control. I have always maintained that.

However: Government must never be in the role of morality keeping.

Reactions: AmberEyes

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I heard one of the bill's sponsors, or creators, interviewed. From what he said, the women are not REQUIRED to view the ultrasound; the hospital is REQUIRED to offer it.

That said, he's quite blatantly trying to coerce women into changing their minds. And for those of you, like westmanguy, who think it's so simple, I have pity on you. You "can't accept" abortion; but that's okay, you won't have to. No one will force you to have one.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I can't go along with this ...

Big Brother tactics are not going to change anyone's life view...

Choice and education are the only paths to follow when it comes to creating full knowledge and realization for individuals.

Government must stay out of the personal life of all people unless they are unable to physically or mentally carry on a normal life.

Caveat: Before everyone cries 'foul'....Abortion is not birth control. I have always maintained that.

However: Government must never be in the role of morality keeping.

I tend to agree with you on this.

I think the ladies should be allowed to do as they please with respect to maternal rights. Afterall, I also believe theres a special place for those women who wantonly slughter those "cell masses" because it just doesn't feel as good with a condom. Karma and all that.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I tend to agree with you on this.

I think the ladies should be allowed to do as they please with respect to maternal rights. Afterall, I also believe theres a special place for those women who wantonly slughter those "cell masses" because it just doesn't feel as good with a condom. Karma and all that.

There are numerous reasons women "choose" abortion, and, just where would that special place be.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
There are numerous reasons women "choose" abortion, and, just where would that special place be.

Not talking about the woman who has one or two abortions in their lifetime...

Oh I dunno...maybe the particular circle of hell should correlate with however many times they've chosen abortion over condoms. Ya know, after the 7th or 8th abortion, they should be able to figure out whats causing that pesky menstrual period thing to stop.

Is there really a difference between killing a baby with an abortion, and killing it with a bomb?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
So, whats you guys' opinion on this?

COLUMBIA, S.C. --

Women seeking abortions in South Carolina would be required to view an ultrasound image of their fetus before the procedure under a proposal gaining support from lawmakers. If enacted, it would be the first law of its kind in the nation.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/205/story/53792.html

I think the usual exceptions for rape and incest apply.

I actually like this idea. My first sono was to say the least impactive. Wish I still had the picture.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Ultrasounds of babies at abortion ages (usually very young, yes i know there are exceptions) will be blurry and show nothing very much anyway. For instance when it's 8 weeks old it's about 1.5 cm long. Remember the last image of an ultrasound you saw? that would have been in the middle of the second trimester, around 14-20 weeks. remember how hard it was to pick out the details?

thomaska said:
Is there really a difference between killing a baby with an abortion, and killing it with a bomb?

there's a difference between killing an embryo and killing a baby.

Reactions: AmberEyes

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

Oh I dunno...maybe the particular circle of hell should correlate with however many times they've chosen abortion over condoms. Ya know, after the 7th or 8th abortion, they should be able to figure out whats causing that pesky menstrual period thing to stop.

We create our own hells in the here and now......believe me.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Ultrasounds of babies at abortion ages (usually very young, yes i know there are exceptions) will be blurry and show nothing very much anyway. For instance when it's 8 weeks old it's about 1.5 cm long. Remember the last image of an ultrasound you saw? that would have been in the middle of the second trimester, around 14-20 weeks. remember how hard it was to pick out the details?

there's a difference between killing an embryo and killing a baby.

Because that embryo might have turned out to be a salamander right?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
no. The embryo is much less independant than a baby, is essentially non-sentient and almost entirely part of the mother. At later stages of development the line becomes greyer. Honestly we've had this discussion before let's save it for an abortion thread, eh?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I would think any woman who has had 7 or 8 abortions, has serious emotional problems, and her doctor should be very concerned and helpfull for her, and serious discussion
about "tieing tubes" is long overdue.

A comment comparing abortions to bombs is far too general, and everything left out of that comment
is what's important.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
That said, he's quite blatantly trying to coerce women into changing their minds.

This sums it up for me. I don't appreciate people trying to coerce women either way. They don't need an ultrasound to decide one way or the other. Like hermanntrude said, at that point it doesn't show anything anyways.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
being educated isnt being coerced. You KNOW my stand on abortion but I personally rather make a choice on all the *word* than on an emotional quick fix.

*word*= my mind cant think

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Being forced to look at an ultrasound (which I don't believe is the case, but that's the premise this thread started with) isn't being educated, any more than being raped is.

"I know you've made your decision, but I'm going to make you look at this in case I can change your mind"

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
being educated isnt being coerced. You KNOW my stand on abortion but I personally rather make a choice on all the *word* than on an emotional quick fix.

*word*= my mind cant think

So would you think it's ok to "educate" them the other way? Should we force them to meet with parents who regret they had their kids? That's a lot more educational than a blurry picture on an ultrasound which looks nothing like a baby, but it's still clearly wrong to do. The point of forcing women to have an ultrasound is obviously to delay the abortion and hope they change their mind. In all aspects of health care we have to respect the patient's wishes. If they make an informed decision to abort, that's their right. They don't have to see an ultrasound to make that decision an informed one so it's wrong to force it on them.

I used to say that parents who wanted to circumcize their sons should have to see a video of it being done beforehand, but I recognize that was my bias speaking. They don't need that to make an informed decision and women don't need an ultrasound to know if they want an abortion.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I think its a harmless way of showing whats going on inside their body thats what I think. I didnt say lecture or prod Im saying any good doc should inform his patiant what hisd patients body is forming......its just MY opinion