London is the world capital of the 21st century ...says New York

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
London is the world capital of the 21st century... says New York

20th March 2007

London, still the largest city in Europe, is not just the capital of Britain it's also the capital of the world.

Londoners may flock to New York in search of bargains, but London is the global capital of the 21st century according to New York magazine.

Cool Britannia: 'London is party-dressed Lily Allen' claims The New York magazine. Lily Allen is a British rocker.

An influential American magazine has named London the global capital of the 21st century.

The new issue of New York magazine is a homage to London, claiming the financial, cultural and culinary benefits now tower over those of its home city.

In the most glowing American media coverage of Britain since Vanity Fair’s 1996 Cool Britannia issue, the article declares: "If Paris was the capital of the 19th century and New York of the 20th, London is shaping up to be the capital of the 21st century.

"It is not Britain and the US that have a special relationship, it is London and New York... increasingly it seems as though London has the upper hand."

American writers Eugenia Bell and Matt Weiland add: "To Londoners now, there's a sense that the future belongs to them. It can sometimes seem as if there's nobody over 30 in the streets and that a great experiment in mass immigration and assimilation is under way."

The architectural skyline, including Norman Foster's Gherkin and the Shard of Glass, and thriving arts scene, particularly West End theatre and the Frieze Art Fair, all receive special praise.

You know a city and a country are booming when you see plenty of cranes. Over the next few years several new skyscrapers will be added to the London skyline, including the "Shard of Glass", the tallest skyscraper in Europe.

A report commissioned by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg warned Wall Street that the Square Mile was ahead when it came to job creation.

He visited Britain last month and concluded: "London is gaining on us in area after area."

The magazine says: "In short, New York is cardiganed Woody Allen and London is party-dressed Lily Allen."

Ancient and modern: Unlike New York, London has ancient history. But like New York it also has very modern skyscrapers.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Congratulations. As soon as you dhimmis are done banning the play "The Three Little Pigs" or changing its title, could you please fix everything else?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
London is great, I would had preferred though they maintain the "old" look, and build skyscrapers elsewhere. It sort of "spoils" the old world charm, so to speak.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Sounds like somebody is trying to promote London as a tourist spot because of the upcoming Olympics. For my money, NYC remains # 1 but I won't argue against the idea that London is a cool place.