Delighted Camilla to become a grandmother

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
World Exclusive: Delighted Duchess to become a grandma

By KATIE NICHOLL
17th March 2007

Parents-to-be: Camilla's son and Charles's stepson Tom and his girlfriend Sarah

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall have been celebrating the news that they are to become grandparents.

Camilla's son, Tom Parker Bowles, has confirmed that his wife, fashion journalist Sara Buys, is three months pregnant with their first child.

"We have told our friends and family and they are all delighted," he said. "Mummy is absolutely over the moon at the prospect of becoming a grandmother."

Sara, 34, added: "It is the best news ever and we are thrilled."

Tom, the 32-year-old columnist for The Mail on Sunday's Live magazine, food editor of Tatler and author of the book The Year Of Eating Dangerously, said they have already started looking at hospitals for the baby's birth in September.

"Sara is going for another scan next week and we're hoping everything will be fine. I'm very excited and honestly don't mind if it's a boy or a girl, as long as the baby is healthy."

The news comes just days after 59-year-old Camilla was discharged from the private King Edward VII Hospital for Officers in London following a hysterectomy. She is recuperating at Highgrove.

Family friends say that Charles, who enjoys a close relationship with Tom - who is his godson - and his sister Laura, 28, Camilla's children from her first marriage, is also looking forward to being a grandfather.

"Camilla has been secretly hoping for a while that one of her children would be giving her a grandchild,' a friend said.

"She was desperate for both Laura and Tom to get married so that they could get on with producing some offspring. She adores Sara and is delighted that she is the first to give her a grandchild.

"Camilla has had a difficult few weeks with her own operation and this has lifted her spirits entirely."

Sara, who writes a fashion column in The Mail on Sunday's You magazine, said: "I've been very lucky so far. I haven't had any of the pregnancy horrors some of my friends have been through - and I haven't had any unusual food cravings.

"I'm only just beginning to show. I'm wearing lots of baggy clothes and I'm looking forward to maternity shopping."

Sara, who is also features editor at Harper's Bazaar magazine and a regular fixture on the London party circuit, has stopped drinking and plans to continue working for as long as possible.

"I gave up smoking a while ago, and now I have had to give up alcohol, but it's amazing how naturally it comes to you," she said.

"My intention is to go back to work once I've had my maternity leave. Who knows whether we will have more children later on.

"I think Tom and I would ultimately like to have two, but at the moment I'm just trying to get my head round this one!"

Tom and Sara met through mutual friends in 2001 while they were at Oxford University and Tom proposed during a trip to Venice in December 2004.

They married in September 2005, in Rotherfield Greys, Oxfordshire, near Sara's family home in Henley-on-Thames, and live in a four-bedroom house in Notting Hill, West London.

Sara spent her early childhood in South Africa before moving to Britain.

Her mother, Caroline, who is divorced from her father, William, is a comprehensive school teacher in North London.

Sara attended South Hampstead High School, a private day school for girls, before gaining a place at Oxford.

She started in fashion journalism as a features assistant at Vogue before moving to bigger things at Harper's Bazaar.

Friends say the level-headed blonde has been a stabilising influence on Tom, who was once caught taking cocaine at a party.

After they started dating he told friends he was 'madly in love'.

dailymail.co.uk