Yet another pregnant Sikh lady murdered

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yet another woman dies because she can't give birth to children of the right gender. How many Sikh women have been killed because they haven' produced sons? These ignorant people can't seem to learn that the father's sperm determines the sex of the child.

http://tinyurl.com/yr6xpt

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Unfortunately pregnancy is the most common time for relationships to become violent. We screened every mother admitted in labor in our hospital because of it. It's so sick.

It doesn't say anything in the article about the baby's gender being the issue. At 4 months pregnant they probably didn't even know. Most docs I worked with wouldn't tell parents the gender of their unborn children because of the concern they might abort children of the "wrong" gender.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I know it's easy to blame this on cultural differences. But, the leading cause of death for pregnant women even in North America, is to be murdered by the father of their child. The sort of men who are controlling enough to kill a woman for having had the wrong sex of child, would have murdered for some reason or another. The baby would have cried too much. She wouldn't have been up to sex soon enough. Something. They're lunatics, and lunatics find reasons to snap.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What has sprung up in the last few years is the "portable ultrasound scanner". These people can go across the border to Blaine and have the ultrasound scan done in less than an hour. This woman already had one girl child. Her husband and her brother in law have been charged with her murder. Great that we bring this wonderful "custom" to Canada.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
It sounds like tracy and kerrie are overlooking the fact that honour killings are much more prevalent in Middle East countries than in N.A. Almost like they are saying"look.we have idiots in the western culture,so don't point fingers at the religion of peace." Well,my finger is pointing,if they cannot accept our standards,stay out of North America. Kill each other over there.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It sounds like tracy and kerrie are overlooking the fact that honour killings are much more prevalent in Middle East countries than in N.A. Almost like they are saying"look.we have idiots in the western culture,so don't point fingers at the religion of peace." Well,my finger is pointing,if they cannot accept our standards,stay out of North America. Kill each other over there.

I'm not overlooking the fact that they call it an honor killing in the middle east. What I'm saying is... men go off and kill pregnant women for a variety of reasons. The type of man who can kill his pregnant wife, will kill his pregnant wife. If they're that unhinged, they will come unhinged, regardless of the excuse. The psychology behind it is that controlling men tend to come unglued during and immediately after pregnancy. They can't control the sex of the baby, can't control their wife's physical health during pregnancy, can't control the labor, can't control the baby's needs, and end up snapping under the stress. It's an epidemic in all of our cultures... theirs may excuse it, so just hope that when they come unglued and kill their wives, that it DOES happen in North America, where there is no such thing as an honor killing, and they can't get away with it.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

That's not it at all. First of all, India isn't the middle east. Secondly, sikhs aren't muslims. So this has nothing to do with the middle east or the "religion of peace".

I'm just saying we don't know if this woman was murdered because of the gender of her baby or not (that's a big assumption and you know what they say about ass uming). Unfortunately husbands murder their pregnant wives for all sorts of reasons. Like Karrie said, it is the leading cause of death in pregnant women. We shouldn't forget all those other women either, just because they may not have foreign sounding names.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
What has sprung up in the last few years is the "portable ultrasound scanner". These people can go across the border to Blaine and have the ultrasound scan done in less than an hour. This woman already had one girl child. Her husband and her brother in law have been charged with her murder. Great that we bring this wonderful "custom" to Canada.

Are there any reports that this was the reason he killed her?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Fair enough,India isn't the ME,and hinduism is not "the religion of peace"but in India and by Hindu's, women are expected to be subservient and produce male offspring,and they are killed for not obliging thier master. We have enough domestic violence,we don't have to import more.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Fair enough,India isn't the ME,and hinduism is not "the religion of peace"but in India and by Hindu's, women are expected to be subservient and produce male offspring,and they are killed for not obliging thier master. We have enough domestic violence,we don't have to import more.

hindu and sikh arent the same either. sikhs are the ones that wear turbans and little daggers.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

She's not a Hindu either. She's Sikh. Do we know if she was born in India or in Canada? If she was born here, it isn't a matter of importing anything. We have it and we shouldn't tolerate it in any form. Husbands killing their wives is always sick twisted and they deserve whatever punishment the system can give them.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We have enough domestic violence,we don't have to import more.

You're still essentially saying that because they're a different culture, you'd rather she had been killed elsewhere, where he'd be excused for it, instead of going to prison as he will here. How is that better exactly? When men from our own continent commit the same crimes, how is it worse just because of cultural differences?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hardly doubtful. I had a Lebanese g/f for a while, according to her women are treated like possessions, not people. Last time we talked she said it's not so bad that way in Lebanon any more, but in places like Iran et al, it's despicable.
You're right about them not killing the women for having the wrong kids.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I live in the Lebanese section of St Paul and know quite a few folks from the old country. None of those I know would agree with that view. But these folks are mostly Christian so that might make a difference.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
There could be a difference alright. As I said, though, the last time Harry and I talked, she told me things aren't near as bad in Lebanon now, anyway. I really didn't get along with her brothers because of their attitude towards women. I didn't say much though cuz I wasn't too fond of the idea of being carved to death in an alley some night. There were 4 of them only 1 of me. Shoulda heard Harry when they pissed her off, though: 20 straight minutes of invective in Lebanese. No way was she gonna be talked down to after moving to Canuckville.

Last edited:

snfu73

disturber of the peace
The guy who I work with, who is Sikh, has a sister who has faired well...her mother wasn't killed, she has lived a good life. Sooooo, I'm not even thinking this is a cultural thing...this is a case of extreme thinking gone wild. Extremism in any form is bad news...and this is a case of that. So, to write off an entire culture or race or what have you, I don't think, is overly fair. To condemn these actions, is fair. To condemn extremism...that's fair.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Before you say "You should stay Over -there- if you can't accept our customs"

Alot of Sihk communities in Canada are older than Canada itself. His family has a very good chance of having been here longer than yours. SO trying to use that logic would actually be saying that if you AREN'T willing to murder your pregnant wife you should go back "over there" to Europe, or Africa, or Asia or wherever you are from.

Killing for Gender isn't an accepted Sihk practice either, it may happen alot, but thats like saying leaving babies in the dumpster on prom night is a North American accepted practice.