Group Rescues Dog Frozen To Ground

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A dog trying to survive the subzero wind chills froze to the ground, but because of one woman's generous heart, the dog has another chance at life, KMBC's Lara Moritz reported Wednesday."He had sat down on the ground where the frozen ground was, and his body had stuck or bonded to the ground, so probably when he tried to stand up, it ripped the flesh from his rear area," volunteer Melissa Zarda said.The dog was named Shiver, and animal volunteers said it could happen to any dog left outside in the cold without shelter."It doesn't feel good for us when we go outside. I was outside for five minutes today and it was painful. It doesn't feel good for these dogs either," Zarda said.She said Shiver probably wouldn't have lasted another night in the cold because his wounds were just too severe."He could barely move. They thought there were parts of his body that were frozen through -- he had frost bite on his ears, on his paws," Zarda said.Since the dog was recovered on Saturday, Shiver has gained weight and his wounds are beginning to heal.Volunteers said his willingness to love has endured through the pain."All he really did when he walked into the room and met our volunteer was he wagged his tail and tried to crawl in her lap. It's like he didn't hold any grudges -- he was just, like, 'Hey, I'm going to warm up now right here in your lap,'" Zarda said.No one knows who owned Shiver."We're going to fatten him up, get some meat on his bones, get him neutered, get him into foster care and hopefully find him a good home," Zarda said. Spay and Neuter Kansas City offers a winter assistance program for pets. The program helps pets that are left outside and brings free straw and dog houses to the pet owner. For more info, visit snkc.net.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Animal abuse is worse than child abuse. We need to be far more vigilant and punitive. Of course, in the case of dogs, it doesn't help that virtually all communities have leash laws and there's little planning for free-run parks. It's okay to keep your dog chained up all its life. What a miserable human-imposed existence.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I would never even think of leaving my dogs outside overnight! Of course, the dog may have escaped and been lost, we don't know; My dogs are chipped. I think it should be compulsory for all pets to be chipped! Such a terribly sad story...

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Animal abuse is worse than child abuse. We need to be far more vigilant and punitive. Of course, in the case of dogs, it doesn't help that virtually all communities have leash laws and there's little planning for free-run parks. It's okay to keep your dog chained up all its life. What a miserable human-imposed existence.

really/ i dont get it. are you saying its worse to hurt animals than kids? i always wanted a dog, but my mom dosent like animals. says they dont belong in the house.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
what do you mean they are chipped?

It's a micro-chip mapleleafgirl, that is injected into a pet, usually at the back of the neck... it's very small, and doesn't hurt the animal, but it can be scanned if a pet is found roaming, and has all the owners relevant details in it! :)

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
really/ i dont get it. are you saying its worse to hurt animals than kids? i always wanted a dog, but my mom dosent like animals. says they dont belong in the house.

I'm sure tamarin didn't mean that mlg, because it's not worse than child abuse... some people would think that it is on a par with child abuse.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
It's a micro-chip mapleleafgirl, that is injected into a pet, usually at the back of the neck... it's very small, and doesn't hurt the animal, but it can be scanned if a pet is found roaming, and has all the owners relevant details in it! :)

We do the same with our dog. Safest way to ensure we can find the rascal if he decides to wander.