U.N.: Hunger Kills 18,000 Kids Each Day

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]

By EDITH M. LEDERER

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Some 18,000 children die every day because of hunger and malnutrition and 850 million people go to bed every night with empty stomachs, a "terrible indictment of the world in 2007," the head of the U.N. food agency said.
James Morris called for students and young people, faith-based groups, the business community and governments to join forces in a global movement to alleviate and eliminate hunger - especially among children.
"The little girl in Malawi who's fed, and goes to school: 50 percent less likely to be HIV-positive, 50 percent less likely to give birth to a low birth weight baby," he said in an interview Friday. "Everything about her life changes for the better and it's the most important, significant, humanitarian, political, or economic investment the world can make in its future."
Morris, an American businessman and former president the Indianapolis-based Lilly Endowment, one of the largest charitable organizations in the U.S., is stepping down as executive director of the Rome-based World Food Program in April after five years of leading the world's largest humanitarian organization.
if ((typeof tag300_2) == 'function') { tag300_2(); }
He said that while the percentage of people who are hungry and malnourished has decreased from a fifth of the world's population to a sixth of the population, the actual number of hungry people is growing by about 5 million people a year because of the rising population.
"Today 850 million people are hungry and malnourished. Over half of them are children. 18,000 children die every single day because of hunger and malnutrition," Morris said. "This is a shameful fact - a terrible indictment of the world in 2007, and it's an issue that needs to be solved."
Morris said the largest number of malnourished children are in India - more than 100 million - followed by nearly 40 million in China.
"I'm very optimistic that India and China are very focused on this issue," he said. "They're making great progress - (but) need to do more. (It) needs to be a top priority."
Elsewhere, there are probably 100 million hungry children in the rest of Asia, another 100 million in Africa where countries have fewer resources to help, and 30 million in Latin America, he said.
As Morris prepares to leave his post, he said the two issues of greatest concern are the increasing number of impoverished people and the "very significant, growing number of natural disasters around the world."
According to the World Bank, natural disasters have increased fourfold over the last 30 years, he said. That means several billion people need instant help over the course of a decade because of disasters such as the tsunami, the Pakistan earthquake, or drought in southern Africa.
The response to these disasters and conflicts such as in Sudan's Darfur region and Lebanon has meant that most development aid has been used to save lives - not to help communities prevent disasters and promote development through agricultural programs, education for children and water conservation, Morris said.
The agency's biggest operation today is in Darfur, where violence and security are major problems and 2.5 million people have fled their homes and now live in camps.
"Our convoys are attacked almost daily. We had a truck driver killed there at the end of last year. Our convoys coming through Chad from Libya are always at risk. When the African Union troops were there, that was very helpful. The U.N. troops will be even more helpful," Morris said.
He was referring to a plan for an AU-U.N. force to be deployed in Darfur, which is awaiting approval from Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.
American diplomat Josette Sheeran will replace Morris, who plans to head home to Indianapolis.
"I will work as hard as I can every day of the rest of my life to see that more resources are available to feed hungry children," Morris said.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
This is one that gets me. And should get everyone.

In the early 70's a man by the name of Werner Erhart (who founded EST now Landmark) said this;
Hunger shall be wiped out by the year 2000 (paraphrased). He said "It was an idea whose time has come".

To make a long story short, my wife and I went round and round on this. She said it'll never happen;
I said as long as people like you say that, you won't be doing things to not let it happen.

Same story. 2007.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
My biggest qualm is when this calamity becomes intergenerational. Hungry children will later beget hungry children. The faces we see on international humanitarian agency ads today are those of children whose parents were saved. And the cycle continues. We do have a responsibility. But what is theirs?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
There are too many "agencies" taking donations.... there should be one only and it should be monitored by at least ten democratically governed nations to see the money is put where the children's mouths are.....Agencies all have highly paid executives, advertising may be "free" but is also budgeted for within these humanitarian groups... where the money goes who knows?

Hello - is anyone home at the United Nations? They take the money and put out paper admonishments which children cannot eat.

Their website is a sham .... the appointees to the U.N. are a sham.....you should see what they spend at least six times a year meeting in exotic locals for yet more meetings and dinners and social gatherings..... and we could feed billions on what is poured into that bunch of bootlickers in New York if we disbanded the U.N. and got down to some serious business of feeding people, quelling dictatorships and outbreaks of local violence.....

But no.... they take meetings, collect money which goes to salaries of the "delegates".... who do nada!

Blast em all....

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Food production now, in the starving nations, is enough to more than doubley feed their populations when the green revolution started. They too could be living in a world where obesity kills more than starvation.

Why aren't they? they have no self-responsibility, they keep growing their population to levels the world cannot sustain.

Look at the wealthy nations of the world, with the one exception of the USA (which has a special wealth mechanism with OPEC)..all of them ALL of them have declining populations. And its simple math as to why that works out.

I don't think we should give aid to any nation which isn't going to institute population control methods, such as birth control, sex ed and things like tax breaks to families with two children or less.

Of course, nations which did that wouldn't NEED aid within a single generation.

If you can't feed yourself, don't bring five more mouths to feed into this world. Its DeFacto child abuse.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Food production now, in the starving nations, is enough to more than doubley feed their populations when the green revolution started. They too could be living in a world where obesity kills more than starvation.

Why aren't they? they have no self-responsibility, they keep growing their population to levels the world cannot sustain.

Look at the wealthy nations of the world, with the one exception of the USA (which has a special wealth mechanism with OPEC)..all of them ALL of them have declining populations. And its simple math as to why that works out.

I don't think we should give aid to any nation which isn't going to institute population control methods, such as birth control, sex ed and things like tax breaks to families with two children or less.

Of course, nations which did that wouldn't NEED aid within a single generation.

If you can't feed yourself, don't bring five more mouths to feed into this world. Its DeFacto child abuse.

Like Ethiopia Has a pharmacy for family planning every third oasis, always supposing the pharmacy would except a few grains of rice in payment... Gimme a break! If you wanna blame someone, go to the big smell at the top, the governments of these poor nations!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The government's not in charge of fornication. (If it was, it'd be taxable!) I assume in the midst of the rosebud days of the 21st century most folk have enough pasta in their noodles to know that unprotected sex leads to children. And if you can't feed them, it's also an eminently irresponsible act to engage in without due precautions. I know, I know... we shouldn't be lecturing primitive peoples. But really who needs an education most when dealing with the "You feed 'em, we breed 'em" crowd?

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
The government's not in charge of fornication. (If it was, it'd be taxable!) I assume in the midst of the rosebud days of the 21st century most folk have enough pasta in their noodles to know that unprotected sex leads to children. And if you can't feed them, it's also an eminently irresponsible act to engage in without due precautions. I know, I know... we shouldn't be lecturing primitive peoples. But really who needs an education most when dealing with the "You feed 'em, we breed 'em" crowd?

tamarin, I see where you're going with this, and to some extent you are quite right, the government are not in charge of fornication. However, it's not about 'having enough pasta in their noodles' as you so elequently put it. Try to imagine that you live out in the desert, in a mud hut; you may have to travel five miles a day just to get water, and when you get back you may, if you're lucky, have a few grains of rice or cereal to eat. You have nothing to do but sit or work in the hot, dry sun all day, and the meagre vase of water you were able to carry is nearly empty. There is nothing for miles around, no shops, books, tv, nothing but dry desert for hundreds of miles maybe. You've had no schooling and are totally illiterate, working the dry dusty ground, or walking for miles to a missionary station; and always hungry, constantly hungry, carrying your child who is starving too... the only comfort may be your husband, if you're lucky enough to have one... what would you do, to bring a little consolation to your life? Many of these people don't even know there is any other way of life!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
My biggest qualm is when this calamity becomes intergenerational. Hungry children will later beget hungry children. The faces we see on international humanitarian agency ads today are those of children whose parents were saved. And the cycle continues. We do have a responsibility. But what is theirs?

Now you're starting to piss me off. These people are not to blame for thier poverty, these are the children of your high and mighty traditions. That you should suggest they starve and die because of thier own ignorance and sloth says a lot about your poverty of spirit. They,re parents and grandparents were the victims of colonial imperialism and now they live in misery and die by the millions because of the policys of thier new masters. Your superiority is showing.:wave:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Libra, eloquent! But don't you find it strange that starving people seem to have bigger libidos than the comfortable?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
DB, you are ranting again! Take a valium or whatever it is that you easily excited folk depend on. I don't know why you think my wallet is public property. Is yours?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
There are too many "agencies" taking donations.... there should be one only and it should be monitored by at least ten democratically governed nations to see the money is put where the children's mouths are.....Agencies all have highly paid executives, advertising may be "free" but is also budgeted for within these humanitarian groups... where the money goes who knows?

Hello - is anyone home at the United Nations? They take the money and put out paper admonishments which children cannot eat.

Their website is a sham .... the appointees to the U.N. are a sham.....you should see what they spend at least six times a year meeting in exotic locals for yet more meetings and dinners and social gatherings..... and we could feed billions on what is poured into that bunch of bootlickers in New York if we disbanded the U.N. and got down to some serious business of feeding people, quelling dictatorships and outbreaks of local violence.....

But no.... they take meetings, collect money which goes to salaries of the "delegates".... who do nada!

Blast em all....

Quess who's boots they lick? Quess who works overtime and has for decades to see nothing ever changes? Check out the details behind the failures and you'll find a Yankee or a flunky of a Yankee licking uncle shams evil arse making sure the UN gets a bad rap and the dollar lovers continue on as usual.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Libra, eloquent! But don't you find it strange that starving people seem to have bigger libidos than the comfortable?

Sorry, typo, I noticed it but couldn't be bothered to correct it.

Well, I don't know that that is true about their libido tamarin, do you have a source for that? I think it has more to do with the fact that they have such limited outlets in their lives, there is simply little else to do.. you have to understand that this is not a metropolis, this is the desert...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We could feed everyone if we didn't spend so much money on arms. The total world arms budget last year was about a trillion dollars. On the other hand, it is likely that some of the countries where children are starving, are also countries that spent foreign aid money on arms. I irks me to see cameras panning starving people in news broadcasts and there is always a woman with two toddlers and a babe in arms. Those three children represent at least three years. Surely the food problems didn't start yesterday.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Many of the goddamn programes:wave: run by the missionarys will not teach or assist birth control, they'll hand out goddamn bibles but a condom is satans work. And the Catholic church could do far more than it does which is relatively nothing apart from thier incessant prayer.

Reactions: Libra Girl

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Juan, stop it! You're making too much sense! Obviously, as long as we're there to lend a hand, they'll not be taking their social or family responsibilities seriously. Aid should be dependent on two things: co-operation and results.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

By EDITH M. LEDERER
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Some 18,000 children die every day because of hunger and malnutrition
[/FONT]

(Don't tell the UN or the reporter - You don't die from hunger, you die from starvation.)

Interesting, though, isn't it that, while all over the world people are starving, in many parts of the world the problem is obesity. I remember the way my daughter ate when we first brought her here, at 13 months old. She'd eat everything she could grab. After a few months, she realized that there was more food to be had, so you didn't have to try to eat your daily requirements all at once. It was interesting to see that understanding occur. It made me realize that most of us here live without that concern, we just never need to think about it.

It might do a lot of people good to go without food or drink (other than water) for a day every once in a while.