What kind of Mother could do this?

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_headline=women-videoed-tots-fight%26method=full%26objectid=18629012%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

WOMEN VIDEOED TOTS FIGHT

By Richard Smith 16/02/2007

FOUR women forced a toddler brother and sister to fight while they made a sick video.
The seven-minute film shows the crying boy of two in a nappy being hit in the face by the three-year-old girl.
The women - including the tots' own mother - are heard telling the boy: "Don't be a wimp and a faggot."
They goad him to hit back. The terrified boy tries to bury his head in a sofa but the women laugh as they urge the girl punch him again.
When they tell the boy to punch her back, he sobs: "No, I don't want to."
The girl tries to get away by going to the toilet - but when she returns she is urged to attack again. Finally, one woman says: "That's enough."
Social workers checking on the children found the video and immediately handed it to police.
And when officers quizzed the women one said: "They were play-fighting and it was character-building. I couldn't see any harm in toughening them up - I done the same with my own children."
Magistrates in Plymouth watched the film when all four admitted cruelty.
One also admitted causing or procuring the children to be ill -treated and the others admitted inciting it. the identity of the children, who are now in care. All were bailed for reports and will be sentenced on March 16.
Det Sgt Andy Kings said yesterday: "Every professional who saw this was shocked and stunned."
Det Insp Martin Phillips said: "It was distressing, not at all like play-fighting - more like watching dogs fight."

I felt physically ill when I read this... I tried to add a commentary but, words fail me...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
people like this view other living things as their toys. The kid is a doll you can dress up and make do what you want. It's frustrating as hell.

i especially hate this kind of stuff, because if you've ever had a bad parenting moment, stuff like this just reflects it right back at you. When my kids decided to start punching each other one day, I simply grabbed them, stood them face to face, and said "if you're going to punch eachother, you do it right... face to face... you look your sister/brother in the eye when you punch them". It stopped the fighting pretty quick, as neither had the stomach to punch the other in the face, but it would have looked AWFUL to anyone watching, trying to figure out why the heck I would TELL my kids to pop eachother.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I can't even begin to imagine what was going on in these mothers minds! So much talk on violence and its effect on kids, and you have this going on!
I agree with you, it is unthinkable. Imagine the damage done to these poor children, I hope they get their taste of justice.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I can't even begin to imagine what was going on in these mothers minds!

No indeed! I can understand a woman not having maternal instincts, that's fine, just don't have children... it makes one wonder though, and worry, about a congregation of four likeminded mothers in such close vicinity, doesn't it?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
"It certainly makes one wonder if prospective parents should undergo some sort of psychological evaluation DurkaDurka, doesn't it?"

Oh like a license to procreate--no not procreate to raise children Some people have parents that taught then nothing and the have no way of knowing any different other than being assessed by nursing staff or post natal programs --they have something like that here in Ontario I think nobody is to go home with infant until a little assessment is done I think they may visit the home as well ,Public Nurses it like a first def fence , also that is why prenatal courses are offered to everyone even if you have no money to catch a problem before it actually happens --with any luck some women just need guidance, we all didn't get get role models for parents --I know I made a choice not to have children on part because I had no support system --extended family and no guidance in child rearing I was afraid to have a child and not be able to offer it my all--I sought out guidance in my design and they explained it was my choice and a very unselfish one at that --
unconditionally love a child thur nurture caring and sharing

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
"It certainly makes one wonder if prospective parents should undergo some sort of psychological evaluation DurkaDurka, doesn't it?"

Oh like a license to procreate--no not procreate to raise children Some people have parents that taught then nothing and the have no way of knowing any different other than being assessed by nursing staff or post natal programs --

..also that is why prenatal courses are offered to everyone even if you have no money to catch a problem before it actually happens --with any luck some women just need guidance, we all didn't get get role models for parents --

This is not about parents not knowing any different...

I hesitate to mention it temperence, but there is just one factor that you appear to have forgotten here. The video camera! Unless of course it was an implement employed to cover an anthropological study on the social habits of toddlers at coffee mornings! I think not! I've tried to come up with a plausible reason for why four women would feel the need to video two toddlers fighting; it certainly wasn't for show and tell at kindergarten, nor was it destined for Sunday matinee with the grandfolks... No, the fact that a video camera was used in this incident is incomprehensible, unless it was destined for an underground market. Why else?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Yes I do apologize I did forget that,Kinda changes things --would need more facts but not real Nurturing no

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
temperence, you have absolutely no need to appologise! You are quite right in what you say about some parents just needing a few guidlines to show them the way, this is often the case. The world could do with a few more like you who are willing to see both sides of the coin. It's just that the video camera was a disturbing presence in this case, and one has to wonder why it was used...