The Skeptics Are In Retreat

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher

Yup - yer cleary korrect in yer assesment yawl. . . .

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Ross Gelbspan
Michael Crichton: Big Oil's Favorite 'Journalist'

9 Feb 06
The American Association of Petroleum Geologists is presenting its annual journalism award this year to Michael Crichton, the science fiction writer whose latest book, "State of Fear," dismisses global warming as a largely imaginary threat embraced by malignant scientists for their own ends.
"It is fiction," conceded Larry Nation, communications director for the association. "But it has the absolute ring of truth" he told the New York Times.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which reviews the work of more than 2,000 scientists from 100 countries, we humans are overheating the planet with our burning of oil and coal.
Dr. James McCarthy, a co-chair of the 2001 IPCC, summed up the findings not only of that panel but also of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy for the Advancement of Science, the American Geophysical Union and the American Meteorological Society, when he said, "There is no debate among any statured scientists working on this issue about the larger trends of what is happening to the climate."
The sole dissenter is a figment of Michael Crichton's fertile imagination.

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
Of course I'm ignored by you - typically and as usual you have nothing to offer other than vitriol (towards my good and fine self) and bullpoo to the fourm at large - as you manage to prove time and again - you are nothing other than a pompous, duplicitous, diss-gusting and dishonest piece of Kyoto's doodoo - so, if that's your answer to those who condradick yer obsession with Dion, his doggy Kyoto, Kyoto, and yer ever-lovin' Liberals - then perhaps yawl understand that the more you type - the more yawl cement the fact yer nothing other than an article posting goof. . . .

However, if, in posting the above I have insulted any and all Ewwik Mawgowlisss fans - I apologise. . . .

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
With Democrats controlling the environmental agenda in Congress, a panel of international scientists saying there's a greater-than-90 percent chance that humans contribute to global warming, and former vice president Al Gore calling climate change a moral issue, many besieged global warming skeptics are starting to tone down their rhetoric.

http://www.desmogblog.com/press-the-skeptics-are-in-retreat
Gee, I noticed something here: "
With Democrats controlling the environmental agenda in Congress, a panel of international scientists saying there's a greater-than-90 percent chance that humans contribute to global warming". Last time I looked up the word "contribute" it did not even mention "cause" let alone say the two words were synonymous. Thanks for that link, Arvo. :)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Ross Gelbspan
Michael Crichton: Big Oil's Favorite 'Journalist'

9 Feb 06
The American Association of Petroleum Geologists is presenting its annual journalism award this year to Michael Crichton, the science fiction writer whose latest book, "State of Fear," dismisses global warming as a largely imaginary threat embraced by malignant scientists for their own ends.
"It is fiction," conceded Larry Nation, communications director for the association. "But it has the absolute ring of truth" he told the New York Times.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which reviews the work of more than 2,000 scientists from 100 countries, we humans are overheating the planet with our burning of oil and coal.
Dr. James McCarthy, a co-chair of the 2001 IPCC, summed up the findings not only of that panel but also of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy for the Advancement of Science, the American Geophysical Union and the American Meteorological Society, when he said, "There is no debate among any statured scientists working on this issue about the larger trends of what is happening to the climate."
The sole dissenter is a figment of Michael Crichton's fertile imagination.
Good moviemaker, but I would hardly call him an expert on climatology or even meteorology. Um, besides that, I thought the book was about how the media and our politicians have been taken hostage by highly motivated interest groups, and the dangers of group think and fiction on top of that. Hardly a scientific report.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good moviemaker, but I would hardly call him an expert on climatology or even meteorology. Um, besides that, I thought the book was about how the media and our politicians have been taken hostage by highly motivated interest groups, and the dangers of group think and fiction on top of that. Hardly a scientific report.

You didn't read it L.G.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You didn't read it L.G.
Dr. Christopher Landsea, a leading expert in the field of hurricanes and tropical storms resigned as an author of the IPCC 2007 report, stating the IPCC was "motivated by pre-conceived agendas" and was "scientifically unsound."
"I am withdrawing because I have come to view the part of the IPCC to which my expertise is relevant as having become politicized. In addition, when I have raised my concerns to the IPCC leadership, their response was simply to dismiss my concerns," wrote Landsea, of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory.
Sounds a lot like what happened at Enron, doesn't it?
Landsea said a lead author for the IPCC report asked him to provide the writeup on Atlantic hurricanes in what he thought would be "a politically-neutral determination of what is happening with our climate."
Landsea, a contributor and reviewer for the IPCC report in 1995 and 2001, says this author, having been told research showed "no global warming signal found in the hurricane record," attended a Harvard lecture stating the polar opposite.
"I found it a bit perplexing that the participants in the Harvard press conference had come to the conclusion that global warming was impacting hurricane activity today. To my knowledge, none of the participants in that press conference had performed any research on hurricane variability... All previous and current research in the area of hurricane variability has shown no reliable, long-term trend up in the frequency or intensity of tropical cyclones, either in the Atlantic or any other basin."

He dissagrees

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
He dissagrees

One guy? There were over 2000 scientists from a 130 countries involved in the IPCC report. After lengthy calculations, I determined that there would be at least 1999 scientists left. Keep trying.:)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
One guy? There were over 2000 scientists from a 130 countries involved in the IPCC report. After lengthy calculations, I determined that there would be at least 1999 scientists left. Keep trying.:)
How about the 15,000 I already showed you? I posted that one because you insinuated that there were credible scientists in dissagreement, the one I quoted, not only is credible, but has been a contributor to past IPCC reports.

But if you want to keep changing who is and is not credible, this really isn't a debate then, is it?