20 face lash, prison for dancing in Saudi Arabia

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
20 face lash, prison for dancing in Saudi Arabia

Judge sentences foreigners for partying, alcohol, unmarrieds mingling

Updated: 7:48 p.m. ET Feb 4, 2007

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi Arabian judge sentenced 20 foreigners to receive lashes and spend several months in prison after convicting them of attending a party where alcohol was served and men and women danced, a newspaper reported Sunday.
The defendants were among 433 foreigners, including some 240 women, arrested by the kingdom's religious police for attending the party in Jiddah, the state-guided newspaper Okaz said. It did not identify the foreigners, give their nationalities or say when the party took place.
Judge Saud al-Boushi sentenced the 20 to prison terms of three to four months and ordered them to receive an unspecified number of lashes, the newspaper said. They have the right to appeal, it added.

The prosecutor general charged the 20 with "drinking, arranging for impudent party, mixed dancing and shooting a video for the party," Okaz said.
The paper said the rest of those arrested were awaiting trial.
Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam under which it bans alcohol and meetings between unrelated men and women.
The religious police, a force resented by many Saudis for interfering in personal lives, enjoys wide powers. Its officers roam malls, markets, universities and other public places looking for such infractions as unrelated men and women mingling, men skipping Islam's five daily prayers and women with strands of hair showing from under their veil.
In May, the Interior Ministry restricted the powers of the religious police to just arresting suspects, because the police sometimes had held people incommunicado and insisted on taking part in ensuing investigations.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It doesn't matter what Saudi Arabia does...just ask George Bush.

Terrorism is the big issue with the yanks and yet we don't see them (or anyone) stepping in to challenge Saudi Arabia or Pakistan...

Should we be concerned that the people of other nations are living under these oppressive regimes?

I guess it's perfectly Ok just so long as the oil keeps flowing...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I agree, North Americas turns a blind eye to Saudi Arabia's human rights and terrorism links, but as long as there is oil....

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And yet if towns in Canada routinely pilloried scofflaw youth for urinating in public, littering and hooliganism I'd cheer. It would show some backbone.
Saudi Arabia oppresses its citizens every bit as much as Canada does. Only differently. So few Canadians anymore are willing to take a public stand against sensitive government policy. Lest they meet the spite of special interests. We're no better, and because we presume we are, we're worse.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
pretty bloody dumb thing to do in saudi arabia though, eh?

I mean everyone knows those guys will whip you and throw u in prison for that kind of thing. so why do it? If you don't want to follow islamic law, dont go to saudi arabia. that's a no-brainer.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
And yet if towns in Canada routinely pilloried scofflaw youth for urinating in public, littering and hooliganism I'd cheer. It would show some backbone.
Saudi Arabia oppresses its citizens every bit as much as Canada does. Only differently. So few Canadians anymore are willing to take a public stand against sensitive government policy. Lest they meet the spite of special interests. We're no better, and because we presume we are, we're worse.

Tamarin

Canadians are spine-less. I attended a rally on Parliament Hill back in the early nineties and the on-lookers shouted insults and derrogatory remarks.. Canadians don't seem to enjoy the capacity for thinking beyond their own selfish needs and so when their "cause" rallies people to protest, the most you get out of the average Canadian is a "Tsk Tsk"...

The globalization talks in Quebec that generated some protest should have seen the streets filled with people. It's not uncommon in France or Hungary or many European nations to see hundreds of thousands out on the streets...but not in Canada.

I still maintain the flag of Canada should be the silouette of a sheep....

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
This is why some people are worried about "reasonable accommodations". This is religious zeal in their country and people are seeing the religious rearing it ugly head here.
Quote:
A one-year chronology of the province’s ‘reasonable accommodation’ controversy
COMPILED BY LIZ FERGUSON
OF THE GAZETTE​
Kirpan Case: On March 2, 2006, the Supreme Court of Canada rules Sikh Montrealer Gurbaj Singh Multani can wear his ceremonial dagger to school. The court uses the phrase “reasonable accommodation.” School prayer: On March 22, the Quebec Human Rights Commission tells l’École de technologie supérieure it should accommodate Muslim students who want a prayer room, though it is not obliged to give them a specific space. The gender of doctors: Sept. 24, La Presse writes many area hospitals are having problems with pregnant Muslim women who don’t want to be seen by male doctors. Windows at the Park Ave. YMCA: Early in the year, frosted glass windows are installed in a room overlooking an alley so a local Hasidic congregation will not see women exercising. In November, a 100-name petition complains about a lack of light and that women exercising at the YMCA should not have to hide themselves. Newspapers are deluged with letters to the editor. No room for daddy: In deference to their Sikh, Hindu and Muslim clientele, the Park Extension CLSC offers prenatal classes for women only. ADQ leader Mario Dumont learns of this in November and voices disapproval. He also complains that Sikhs can wear kirpans in school, but the majority of citizens are not sure if they can use the word “Christmas” in school. Special Treatment? On Nov. 18, La Presse reports it was contacted by an angry father who said he waited five hours so his daughter could be seen at a Laval CLSC, but an Orthodox Jew with a deep cut on his hand was treated first so he could get home before the Sabbath began. On Dec. 15, the Journal de Montréal reports CLSC Thérèse de Blainville is giving the Hasidic community of Boisbriand “special privileges” such as treatment at home on the Sabbath, having female nurses wear long sleeves and long skirts, and male nurses treat only male patients, etc. The same day the CLSC holds a news conference to say it is “at ease” with these practices and that the home visits for religious reasons are very rare, perhaps 35 of 27,000 made in the past year. Merry Christmas, or not: At the National Assembly’s final session of the year, Dec. 14, only Mario Dumont says “joyeux Noël.” André Boisclair and Jean Charest say “bonnes fêtes.” Quelle surprise! On Jan. 20, 2007, Le Journal says the French are astounded at the lengths their Quebec cousins have gone to in regard to “reasonable accommodations.” Some daycare workers at Commission scolaire de Montréal are upset because their Muslim and Jewish co-workers get more days off than they do.
End Quote from The Gazette, Feb. 3/07

However the only people we hear about are those strongly requesting that changes be made to accommodate their ways of life. There are many many more who live without ever asking for special treatment that we never hear about.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
This was one that I forgot to mention. Seems to me that when you join a corp like police, army you wear the complete uniform not only the part you wish.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Mikey, it's time we developed some spine or get used to assuming the position most ho's make a living in.
"Reasonable accommodation'...gee, and it would be reasonable to assume if you move to a new country that you accept longstanding practices there.
The PC scum have stolen so much of our spirit and so much of our self-respect. I still say a thunderous backlash will erupt at some point.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

I mean everyone knows those guys will whip you and throw u in prison for that kind of thing. so why do it? If you don't want to follow islamic law, dont go to saudi arabia. that's a no-brainer.

My buddy, partyer extrordinaire, spent seven years in the sandy kingdom, in which he drank, smoked dope, played in a rock and roll band, chased wild women, and engaged in various other nefarious activities that (literally) would have meant his head.

He doesn't dance.......

Anyway, he told me that having wild parties in Saudi Arabia really wasn't that hard...........all you really had to do was keep it inside, and make absolutely sure a couple of local Saudis of some importance attended. A large number of rich, young Saudis were educated in the west, where they developed a taste for western booze, dope, music, women and morals. If they are that rich, they are somehow related to the royals, and they simply DON'T get harassed or arrested............if they are in attendance, just about anything is ignored.

Quite the place, Saudi Arabia.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
yes so i can imagine the scenario now. Some young kids know the rules, they've seen some people partying like this, think they can do the same, find out they cant.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

Exactly!!! It is the height of stupidity and arrogance to go to a country like that and expect that none of their laws should apply to you.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
And how many face mandatory life sentences in the US for marijuana. Don't like the country and their laws don't go there. Not like we are starving for work or food. Not saying their religious police are a good idea. You go to the arctic don't walk alone in polar bear country, you go to Africa don't swim with the crocs, you go to Detroit don't walk alone at night in certain areas, you go to Mexico don't drink the water, you go to Saudia Arabia don't drink and party.