WaPo to Troops: STFU, Thanks.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
The totalitarian left simply cannot stand if anyone to the right of Chairman Mao exercises their rights under the First Amendment.

This journalist takes the cake, hands down for being the biggest douchebag in American History. Benedict Arnold was a better American than the author of this piece.

The Troops Also Need to Support the American People

I've been mulling over an NBC Nightly News report from Iraq last Friday in which a number of soldiers expressed frustration with opposition to war in the United States.
I'm sure the soldiers were expressing a majority opinion common amongst the ranks - that's why it is news - and I'm also sure no one in the military leadership or the administration put the soldiers up to expressing their views, nor steered NBC reporter Richard Engel to the story.
I'm all for everyone expressing their opinion, even those who wear the uniform of the United States Army. But I also hope that military commanders took the soldiers aside after the story and explained to them why it wasn't for them to disapprove of the American people.
Friday's NBC Nightly News included a story from my colleague and friend Richard Engel, who was embedded with an active duty Army infantry battalion from Fort Lewis, Washington.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2007/01/the_troops_also_need_to_suppor.html

If This is what the people think, then the people can get f***ed.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thomaska

NBC has been trying to raise their basement ratings by garning support for the anti-war stance in their newscasts and much of their programming (see topic on Crossing Jordan as an example).... it has been going on since the old West Wing program when the Democratic president sat at the right hand of god in the scripts.... and his minions were all angels bent on the uplifting of the American people...

It was a great fantasy story for the millions who need uplifting.... but it wasn't based on fact... only
NBC's scratching their itch of being last in line.....they have lost their perceived magnificance....if there ever was a magnificence to that channel other than its entertainment shows... the News Department went south.... Brokaw took a decidedly "nun-ish" attitude as he became a megabillionaire over his pandering of the Greatest Generation..... thinking it exempted all his crass political messages on the "Nightly Mewling" at 6PM.... and now Russert has taken over with the veiled innuendo and anti-whatever campaigns..... while out of the other side of their mouths pandering to the valued military.... Truth is they could care less about the men and women fighting.

In another day and another time they would be put up on aiding the enemy charges.

They get paid not to STFU unfortunately... but our knowing thy enemy is a lot better.... and Mother Sheehan and Sarandon and her live in Robbins, and all the other old 70s flower children need their nightly "suck"....so let em bring it on.... we know them for what they are... out in front...best place to be.

Last edited:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Right Right, calling the outright failure of the "war" in Iraq what it is and pointing out that sadly people are losing their lives for NOTHING (and I mean "nothing for THEM" anyways, since as has been pointed out there's money being made despite the spectacular mess that is also developing) is a "ratings grab"???

This is another "with us or against us" piece of utter crap, the way you folks have presented it.. just the quote in the article about a soldier complaining that folks don't support the war but DO stand behind the Military as a body of citizens who are willing to sacrifice for the good of their country, and how those folks are scum or whatever...

That is pure crap, if you can't call the war what it now so plainly IS, what's left??? Just not thinking about it and buying a stupid yellow sticker??

Sorry but my opinions and those of folks like me who think the whole neo-imperialist movement is dangerous (at the very LEAST) and driven by corportae greed are NOT going to be falsely shamed for being correct. Nice try tho

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Thomaska

NBC has been trying to raise their basement ratings by garning support for the anti-war stance in their newscasts and much of their programming (see topic on Crossing Jordan as an example).... it has been going on since the old West Wing program when the Democratic president sat at the right hand of god in the scripts.... and his minions were all angels bent on the uplifing of the American people...

It was a great fantasy story for the millions who need uplifting.... but it wasn't based on fact... only
NBC's scratching their itch of being last in line.....they have lost their perceived magnificance....if there ever was a magnificence to that channel other than its entertainment shows... the News Department went south.... Brokaw took a decidedly "nun-ish" attitude as he became a megabillionaire over his pandering of the Greatest Generation..... thinking it exempted all his crass political messages on the "Nightly Mewling" at 6PM.... and now Russert has taken over with the veiled innuendo and anti-whatever campaigns..... while out of the other side of their mouths pandering to the valued military.... Truth is they could care less about the men and women fighting.

In another day and another time they would be put up on aiding the enemy charges.

They get paid not to STFU unfortunately... but our knowing thy enemy is a lot better.... and Mother Sheehan and Sarandon and her live in Robbins, and all the other old 70s flower children need their nightly "suck"....so let em bring it on.... we know them for what they are... out in front...best place to be.

Yes, I need to clarify exactly which people need to get F***ed. Just the ones who agree with this clown Arkin.

I've been called many things, but never a mercenary. :laughing7:

Yep, when I got back from Iraq it was hard to get used to life without those obscene amenities that Arkin speaks about. It has been difficult to say the least, having to deal with decent meals, hot water, tv, lack of IED's, and of course, the most difficult of all : Living around honorable people who don't want to behead me.

What gets me too, is the fact that the some people think that tbecause they pay taxes they somehow have the right to determine what we can say. Guess what? The military pays taxes too. GASP! Thats right. If Arkin wanted some attention, I'd say he got it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Right Right, calling the outright failure of the "war" in Iraq what it is and pointing out that sadly people are losing their lives for NOTHING (and I mean "nothing for THEM" anyways, since as has been pointed out there's money being made despite the spectacular mess that is also developing) is a "ratings grab"???

This is another "with us or against us" piece of utter crap, the way you folks have presented it.. just the quote in the article about a soldier complaining that folks don't support the war but DO stand behind the Military as a body of citizens who are willing to sacrifice for the good of their country, and how those folks are scum or whatever...

That is pure crap, if you can't call the war what it now so plainly IS, what's left??? Just not thinking about it and buying a stupid yellow sticker??

Sorry but my opinions and those of folks like me who think the whole neo-imperialist movement is dangerous (at the very LEAST) and driven by corportae greed are NOT going to be falsely shamed for being correct. Nice try tho

After careful perusal of your considered eminent opinion my team and I concur with your fine analysis. Further to that screw the neo-imperialist confusniks.:wave:

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan

Can tell you didn't read the article. You should, it's right up your alley. All the tripe you just spewed is even really talked about in the article.

My whole point was the left doesn't want any dissension or discussion. So you lefties of all people should be angry, since you are the ones always championing free speech. Lern 2 reed pleeze.

Thanks for being a fan!:)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

After careful perusal of your considered eminent opinion my team and I concur with your fine analysis. Further to that screw the neo-imperialist genocidal dogs, thier anger and confusion will hasten the decline.:wave:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Darkbeaver

Sorry you've gone back to your dark side....I really enjoyed the past few months when you were fun to read and had some great thoughtful ideas....

Hope the fun guy returns some day with more wit and challenge....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
After careful perusal of your considered eminent opinion my team and I concur with your fine analysis. Further to that screw the neo-imperialist genocidal dogs, thier anger and confusion will hasten the decline.:wave:

Do you have any more cliche communist catch phrases you would like to get out of your system?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
My whole point was the left doesn't want any dissension or discussion.
now THAT is RICH..... even ask a question about "what was the 'strategy' again??" and "the left" gets shouted down with cries of "Traitor" (or phony "sympathy from types like Curiosity who is always "sorry" for folks who have "lost their moral compass" or "must be filled with anger" or "can't get over themselves"- I have read the style and it is old, you should get some new angles)

And yet somehow "the left" is trying to stifle discussion and dissension??

Right, I mean, I've always been kinda left-wing, and I am always pushing for folks to shut up and just buy stupid stickers and support the troops no matter how idiotic their mission actually is....

I REALLY don't get your criticism of "the left" as the great "STFU" (to use a fave arsehole acronym, just a thing I've noticed that certain types always use this little shortcut, must be their openness to discussion and dissension) machine, as most of what I post here and elsewhere is actually my own take, which I like to put out there to see how it goes with or against what other folks think....

LMAO "The Left wants no discussion" TOO FUNNY.. PS I did read the article, too bad you don't know better ways to "discuss" than ad-hominem attacks tho, or you might have actually made a useful post there...

And thanks DB, always fun to get a thumbs-up that isn't being driven into my butt :)

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mabudon

LOLOLOL..... you are talking about words and phrases? As if "neocon" is a new one destined to be a classic.....You must be an English professor....

I could care less where you dump your anger.... forums are a good place for you ... probably saves a lot of people in your milieu from being hurt over and over....

You can't hurt the military - they'd walk all over your steamy self ignoring your squealing underfoot.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
LMFAO okay, that is SUPER FUNNY, especially the "steaming and squealing" bit.... I fear no man or beast and am a master of the physical realm, I'd like to see some cheap, soulless mercenaries try such a thing, since my beliefs ALONE can slay giants, a bunch of dupes are NO match for Mebeducks (and I suggested to change your angle, maybe someday you will, and I REFUSE to add any phony sentiment to this, your method is trite and funny and really limp)

And what would these "troops" mission be in killing me?? Hope folks will support the jackbooted thugs if that truly IS in the cards, since killing civilians for voicing their opinions is a pretty odd way to be patriotic, and REALLY strange that such a proud institution as "the troops" would do such a horrid thing, but to each his own I guess

And nice way you avoided the "Lefties want to stifle discussion"- it's almost as if you... geee, I dunno, want to stifle discussion or something

Time to go plug in a rock out, I'll wade throught the wreckage of this sucker tomorrow!!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Toke away Mabudon.....such a charmer

Did it ever occur to you - you are pretty much unable to conduct a discussion with? A discussion you continue to dare people to try out....

You devolve into a screaming two year old before a sentence or thought is completed, flailing around with your "neo-con" and all the overdone protest march placard phrases you probably collect as souveniers. A true straw man to resurrect a really old phrase... and you fit the model perfectly...

Your inability to debate is the reason there is nothing for a member to respond with...whether you are left or right or hanging by your toes.....

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Again, same angle...

I just thought that the troops in ANY armed forces were basically sworn to their duty- who cares if folks like me say anything??

I don't understand your assertion that I can't have a discussion, and to that end, I will ask a question- what, praytell, in this atmosphere of "support the troops or DIE", are seemingly rational folks, who can SEE failure in the misadventures in Iraq and Afghanistan supposed to do exactly??

As a Canadian, in my own personal view, I feel that speaking OUT against the current direction in whatever forum is available to me to be sorta important, be that online, phonecalls to elected officials, e-mail etc.

Honestly, if "supporting the troops" means being 100% behind the political forces who dictate their "mission", you can count me out, and it's too bad actual enlightened individualism is so frowned upon. Oh and PLEASE don't be "sorry" for me, tho knowing your style I fully expect phony sympathy- helps play down your opponent without addressing anything they said, after all :D

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
The totalitarian left simply cannot stand if anyone to the right of Chairman Mao exercises their rights under the First Amendment.

This journalist takes the cake, hands down for being the biggest douchebag in American History. Benedict Arnold was a better American than the author of this piece.

The Troops Also Need to Support the American People

I've been mulling over an NBC Nightly News report from Iraq last Friday in which a number of soldiers expressed frustration with opposition to war in the United States.
I'm sure the soldiers were expressing a majority opinion common amongst the ranks - that's why it is news - and I'm also sure no one in the military leadership or the administration put the soldiers up to expressing their views, nor steered NBC reporter Richard Engel to the story.
I'm all for everyone expressing their opinion, even those who wear the uniform of the United States Army. But I also hope that military commanders took the soldiers aside after the story and explained to them why it wasn't for them to disapprove of the American people.
Friday's NBC Nightly News included a story from my colleague and friend Richard Engel, who was embedded with an active duty Army infantry battalion from Fort Lewis, Washington.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2007/01/the_troops_also_need_to_suppor.html

If This is what the people think, then the people can get f***ed.

This ISNT what the average American thinks! Ive been saying for YEARS the average soldier does NOT want to be there.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
This ISNT what the average American thinks! Ive been saying for YEARS the average soldier does NOT want to be there.

Oh , I know thats not what the average person thinks. It takes years and years of practice at being a idiot to chieve William Arkins level of proficiency.

You'r right, most of the troops don't want to be there, but it isn't because of political reasons like most on the left would want to believe. They don't want to be there, because....drum roll......

They would rather not get shot.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Goverments wage war. Soldiers are just the tools they use to do it. In no way shape or form must the troops in Iraq be held to blame for what is going on over there. The troops must be given the full support of the people not the other way round. Goverments which wage half arsed wars are criminal in what conditions they are forcing their troops to fight under.

Bush is a moron and an idiot to involve the USA in a land war in Asia. The American people must remove him and his kind ASAP and do whatever it takes to return their sons and daughters home alive and safe.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Goverments wage war. Soldiers are just the tools they use to do it. In no way shape or form must the troops in Iraq be held to blame for what is going on over there. The troops must be given the full support of the people not the other way round. Goverments which wage half arsed wars are criminal in what conditions they are forcing their troops to fight under.

Bush is a moron and an idiot to involve the USA in a land war in Asia. The American people must remove him and his kind ASAP and do whatever it takes to return their sons and daughters home alive and safe.

I TOTALLY agree and I dont get why he hasnt been ousted yet.