Governor general urges Canadians to fix developing world in their backyard

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By James Stevenson

CALGARY (CP) - Canada has a developing world in its own backyard, with a number of aboriginal communities in a desperate state, Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean said Thursday.

In a speech praising the international development work of Engineers Without Borders, Jean said Canadians "can no longer ignore" impoverished conditions within their own country. "Let us admit, once and for all, that the developing world is closer than we think."

Jean said during her trip across Africa late last year, she saw many situations and needs identical to those faced by some Canadian aboriginal communities.

These include a lack of simple access to clean drinking water, the growing marginalization of the younger generation and the need to find a balance between ancient knowledge and the modern world.

Other large social issues - such as ongoing violence against women, the desperate need for adequate housing and the promotion of education as a means of growth and development - exist not only on the other side of the world but here in Canadian communities, she said.

"There is urgent work that needs to be done in our own backyard, and this work could be an example for the entire world. It should be part of making Canada a model global citizen."

Jean's first public appearance during her three-day trip to the Calgary area was the keynote address at the national conference of Engineers Without Borders - a group that helps bring technology to developing nations.

Several members of the association were part of Jean's official delegation when she travelled to Algeria, Mali, Ghana, Morocco and South Africa in November and December.

Jean said seeing the work that a handful of Canadian engineers were doing throughout Africa was an important lesson.

"We were born . . . and we live in an affluent country just by sheer luck," she told the more than two hundred young engineers from across Canada.

"And I strongly believe that with this luck comes a responsibility - an absolute responsibility - to create opportunities for those with the greatest need."

During the trip to Africa, which received little coverage back home, thousands of people turned out to welcome her wherever she went.

After she urged Mali's national parliament to enact a long-stalled bill that would let women own property, gain an inheritance and seek a divorce, a leading newspaper columnist in the country compared her to legendary athletes Muhammad Ali and soccer star Pele as symbols of black pride.

During her second official visit to Alberta as governor general, Jean will spend a considerable amount of her time with native groups.

On Friday, she plans to visit a family shelter located on the Stoney Nakoda Nation, just west of Calgary.

Saturday she plans to meet a group of teachers from the Siksika Nation, one hour east of Calgary. The teachers graduated from a University of Calgary's Master of Teaching program that combines Aboriginal language, culture and teaching traditions with mainstream educational practices.

She will also meet briefly with new Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach and attend the opening night of a new Canadian opera called Frobisher.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
this is why i dont understand these people who run off to help refugees in Africa ,why cant you fix your own first --i watched a programme about these

According to Christian Solidarity International (CSI)—a relief agency at the forefront of the slave redemption effort
Two socially committed Ontarians, Jane Roy and husband Glen Pearson,[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]have almost singlehandedly brought the plight of the Sudanese slaves to Canada's attention. They have raised many thousands of dollars on behalf of CSI, inspired a MacLean's cover story, successfully lobbied the federal government to get involved, and—toting their own tents and backpacks—redeemed many of the slaves themselves during their unique "vacations."

yes they Canadians go there pay for slaves to be reclaimed ,but could they not be saving their own people ?
also who knows if it a big set up ,pretend to be a slave to get money --
I feel for Africa too but we have people who live on a 9,000 dollar a year disability pension who barely exist ,our youth needs direction and if we cant correct our problems how can we offer solutions some where else

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Help our own????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEMPERANCE:

Where did you get such an idea? Canadians helping Canadians!!:laughing8:

I guess we figure if we make such a splash somewhere else, no one will see the mess in our own back yard. Just think of what these people might have done for Canadians.

Or would we look at them and call them fools?.............:dontknow:

JFK once said that Canadians would give you all aid short of actual assistance. This seems to be our policy with our own people.

:evil3:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I always enjoy the periodic citing of a U.N. "finding" that suggests Canada is the best country in the world to live in....

There's no right or wrong there's only popular opinion....Goines

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I keep on saying this but it seems to be ignored. Surely to God there is money in the more than 8 billion dollar budget of the Dept. of Indian and Northern Affairs to fix the drinking water problems. The money paid on behalf of first nations in this country amounts to something over $10,000.00 per native, man, woman and child. I do agree that charity begins at home, but maybe some of the incompetent heads in Indian affairs should roll before we start whipping ourselves, and crying in our guilt.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I keep on saying this but it seems to be ignored. Surely to God there is money in the more than 8 billion dollar budget of the Dept. of Indian and Northern Affairs to fix the drinking water problems. The money paid on behalf of first nations in this country amounts to something over $10,000.00 per native, man, woman and child. I do agree that charity begins at home, but maybe some of the incompetent heads in Indian affairs should roll before we start whipping ourselves, and crying in our guilt.

Amen to that. For 10K, I could buy enough bottled water to sustain myself for a year and then some.

I also think it's completely ridiculous to compare the life of any Canadian to that of people in true third world countries like the Sudan.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Because they are identical?

We pay just as much to the corrupt wealthy leaders of third world countries and there development agencies. If you took all the money some third world countries are given, and divided evenly between the people in it, they would make more than some of the countries donating the money.

Corruption in charge of aid is far from a Canadian problem.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I agree

Canadians don't care....

Our "leaders" are hiding their incompetence and corruption behind a ten million dollar pay-off to a man made victim to Canadians apathy. Canadians don't care....

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Maybe her and the British monarchy should be sent packing back to a commonwealth country that's willing to gulp down the bullshyte the Brits all sell....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I couldn't agree more. The bureaucracy that sucks up most of the money before the Natives see it, should be trimmed, then the corruption on the reservation level should be wiped out. All found guilty or even those with a hint of the stench of inpropriaty, should be banned from coming within 50 yards of Native funds, for life.
Amen to that. For 10K, I could buy enough bottled water to sustain myself for a year and then some.

I also think it's completely ridiculous to compare the life of any Canadian to that of people in true third world countries like the Sudan.
Right after we all goo spend the 10grand on bottled water for a year, we'll have to hit up welfare and the food banks to feed ourselves. That was a pretty simplistic view tracy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found it quite puzzling that the Canadian Armed forces (DART), can fly into tsunami ravaged regions in 24 hours, yet it took the government, months to think of sending the team to Kashechewan and only after evacuations began.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I
Right after we all goo spend the 10grand on bottled water for a year, we'll have to hit up welfare and the food banks to feed ourselves. That was a pretty simplistic view tracy.

Simplistic view for a simple problem. Like you said, DART can set up water treatment facilities overseas in 24 hours. Is it really that hard to do it in Canada? There is no reason the money we already spend can't deal wit that.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I couldn't agree more. The bureaucracy that sucks up most of the money before the Natives see it, should be trimmed, then the corruption on the reservation level should be wiped out. All found guilty or even those with a hint of the stench of inpropriaty, should be banned from coming within 50 yards of Native funds, for life.
I'll ditto that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found it quite puzzling that the Canadian Armed forces (DART), can fly into tsunami ravaged regions in 24 hours, yet it took the government, months to think of sending the team to Kashechewan and only after evacuations began.
Canadian pols' priorities always seemed to a bit screwy to me, too. 2 year-olds seem to have more sense sometimes.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I agree with all of you, it is pathetic. They only seem to go things that will get international recongnition, anything here at home does not make enough publicity. It's all in making a name for themselves, it is pathetic.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Simplistic view for a simple problem. Like you said, DART can set up water treatment facilities overseas in 24 hours. Is it really that hard to do it in Canada? There is no reason the money we already spend can't deal wit that.
True enough.

I thought this thread was about Scarborough.
We are not allowed to identify Scarberia any more, we must only refer to intersections, according a few sookie councilors from the fore mentioned area.

LMAO