Shot duck survives 2 days in refrigerator

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Raises head when hunter’s wife opens door

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:31 p.m. ET Jan 20, 2007

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man’s wife “was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn’t been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her,” said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. “She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there.”

The 1-pound female ringneck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won’t ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

“This duck is very passive,” Hale said. “It’s not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16725051/

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it seems pretty strange to shoot it, put it in a fridge, and then, when you discover it's alive, you decide: "oh, it's alive, i'll keep it alive and prolong the life that i so severely damaged" instead of thinking "oh crap, i should have killed this duck properly" and kill it as quickly as possible, and eat it and respect its death.

If you're going to kill a duck, why would you keep it alive after wounding it? I know it was a long time afterwards but i think it's still the right thing to do. Plus duck is soooo good to eat.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Is that who duck flesh is aged? I would have thought hanging in warmer air for a couple of days. Or defeathered and butchered immediately. I've seen fish "swim" away after being filleted but they are a "lower" lifeform with "less" developed nervous systems.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
it seems pretty strange to shoot it, put it in a fridge, and then, when you discover it's alive, you decide: "oh, it's alive, i'll keep it alive and prolong the life that i so severely damaged" instead of thinking "oh crap, i should have killed this duck properly" and kill it as quickly as possible, and eat it and respect its death.

If you're going to kill a duck, why would you keep it alive after wounding it? I know it was a long time afterwards but i think it's still the right thing to do. Plus duck is soooo good to eat.

That's pretty much what I said the first time this article was posted... that and "who the hell puts an uncleaned bird in the fridge?"

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
That's pretty much what I said the first time this article was posted... that and "who the hell puts an uncleaned bird in the fridge?"

me. I did that with a grouse. Although having said that i did pull off it's head, legs and guts, so i was PRETTY sure it was dead.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
me. I did that with a grouse. Although having said that i did pull off it's head, legs and guts, so i was PRETTY sure it was dead.

Well, you mostly cleaned it.... you didn't stick it in the fridge with its guts still in it. Last I knew, there's no animal out there where it's okay to leave s__t in it once you kill it, but I may be wrong.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
You can often buy prawns frozen with the head (which contains the stomach and the guts) still attached. In fact ive seen people eat the contents of the head, believing it to be the brains of the prawn. more fool them. shiite eaters :D