New race row on Channel 4 as teenaged girl wishes for a return of slavery

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
For the last couple of weeks there has been the story of Jade Goody and two friends "racially abusing" an Indian woman on Channel 4's Celebrity Big Brother. Jade Goody was accused of calling Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty "Shilpa Poppadum". Another woman said Shilpa should "f**k off back to her own country" and said "all Indians are thin because they undercook their food." Now it's emerged that another reality TV show on the same channel also has a "racist" female contestant. On Shipwrecked, where contestants have to live on an island in the Cook Islands in the South Pacific for three months, 18 year old public schoolgirl Lucy Buchanan has said that blacks should be slaves. She has said that she wishes for a return of the slave trade and the British Empire.

------------------------------------------

New race storm for Channel 4

Island of hate ... the Shipwrecked contestants were stunned by racist views of Lucy Buchanan, right

By EMMA COX
and JOHN TROUP
January 23, 2007

CHANNEL 4 was at the centre of a new race row last night — after screening a teenager calling for the return of SLAVERY.

Shocking ... Lucy on show

Public schoolgirl Lucy Buchanan’s rant on the first episode of reality show Shipwrecked follows international fury at Jade Goody’s Big Brother bullying of Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty.

In an outburst aired at just 6.25pm on Sunday, Lucy, 18, said black people were “really bad”, adding:

“My mind is completely open to different cultures — but I just do not think they should bring them to Britain.”

Shipwrecked contestants have to tough it out on the South Pacific’s Cook Islands for three months.

Blonde Lucy, from York, declared: “I’m a very traditional girl with very traditional values.

“I’m quite for the British Empire. I’m quite for slavery and things, but that’s never going to come back.”

One contestant told her they hated racists. She replied: “I’m afraid you have one here.”

Another contestant said her views were “sort of Hitleresque.”

C4 said last night: “She does change her mind in the course of the show. I’m not making excuses, but she’s been in boarding school since she was four.”

Voice of hate ... contestant Lucy Buchanan in UK, left, and on island

Lucy’s mum Nicola insisted: “She is definitely not a racist. She has a big mouth and says things she doesn’t mean.”

thesun.co.uk

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Realitiy tv shows are desparate for ratings! They had the race wars on suvivor, now this. I think it's a ploy. I dont watch reality shows, or any tv, for that matter. TV hasn't been good since Simpsons season 6.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think Britain should build an an Empire again. Imagine how much better this world would be if it was still controlled by the military (naval), economic, and manufacturing might of Britannia during her Empire days. The current American "empire" is puny compared to Britain at the height of her amazing powers in 1921 (the US doesn't control a quarter of the world's lands and people, have a navy twice as large as the second largest navy for a period of decades, have a merchant navy larger than the rest of the world combined and manufacture more goods than the rest of the world combined).

We wouldn't have to invade Iraq or Afghanistan. Only threatening to invade would be enough to make them obey our orders as it was in the good old days.

Oops, I'm ending up like Buchanan.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Please don't make my daughter the new Jade

23rd January 2007

Middle class girl - Lucy Buchanan has aired some controversial views on Shipwrecked (she finds blacks and fat people offensive). She goes to a £19,600 ($39,000) school that is almost 1400 years old. But (the good thing) she wants a return of the British Empire.

The mother of the latest reality TV contestant accused of racism today leapt to her daughter's defence.

Lucy Buchanan, 18, of York, was filmed on Channel 4's Shipwrecked programme saying black people were "really bad" and slavery should be restored.

It comes as the channel is embroiled in a race row over Celebrity Big Brother. But her mother Nicola, 46, from the smart New Town area of Edinburgh said: "Lucy is definitely not a racist. She's a well-mannered girl from a decent family.

"But she's only 18. She does have a big mouth and sometimes speaks without thinking. She says things she doesn't mean."

On the Shipwrecked website, which follows contestants as they are marooned in the South Pacific for 19 weeks, Buchanan admitted she had always been "cocooned in a shell around people I know."

She attended St Peter's School in York, which was founded in 627 AD. Buchanan, who describes herself as a "traditional" girl, left the £19,600-a-year school last year and is currently on a gap year before starting at Bristol University.

On the Channel 4 show she told speechless contestants: "I'm for slavery, but that's never going to come back." She added that Britain has "way too many cultures" and fat people are "offensive".

When another contestant said she did not like racists, Buchanan replied: "I'm afraid you have one here."

The Shipwrecked website admits that Buchanan "has strong opinions on everything from nuclear war to cake decorating".

Astonishingly, she says the Shipwrecked experience is a "chance to meet people from all walks of life."

Ofcom has received 196 complaints about the show. Black campaign-group The 1990 Trust has launched an online petition against Channel 4 for broadcasting the "racist toff."

Their spokeswoman Karen Chouhan said: "Lucy Buchanan's remarks put Jade Goody in the shade. The station is showing itself to be a repeat offender."

Labour MP Keith Vaz, who raised the issue of Big Brother in the commons last week, tabled another Early Day motion on Shipwrecked.

He condemned Channel 4 "for broadcasting such remarks so soon after international concerns regarding racist comments broadcast on their Celebrity Big Brother programme."

dailymail.co.uk
---------------

Remember that Britain was the first to abolish slavery.

Last edited: