Canadian prosecutors say Pickton wanted to kill 50

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Allan Dowd

NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Accused serial killer Robert "Willie" Pickton butchered his victims after killing them and told an undercover police officer that he had killed 49 women and wanted to kill one more, prosecutors told a Canadian court on Monday.

On the first day of the trial of the Vancouver-area pig farmer, prosecutors also said they have a witness who will describe seeing Pickton dismember a woman at the slaughterhouse at his farm.

"He murdered them, butchered their remains and disposed of them," prosecutor Derrill Prevett told the court in New Westminster, British Columbia, in the first glimpse of horror-film like evidence that prosecutors say will prove Pickton to be Canada's deadliest serial killer.

Pickton stared straight ahead and showed no apparent emotion in the prisoners' box at the start of the trial, which is being held in a courtroom packed with the relatives of the victims.

Pickton is charged with killing 26 women, although this trial will deal with just six of the murder charges. The judge divided the case into two trials to make it easier for jurors to handle.

Prosecutors said they will show the jury a lengthy video tape of conversations that Pickton had with an undercover police officer, in which he first signaled by hand that he planned to kill up to 50 women.

"Mr. Pickton verbalized what he had earlier gestured. He says I was going to do one more, making it an even 50," Prevett said.

Prosecutors did not describe Pickton's statements as a confession. Pickton, 57, has pleaded not guilty.

Prevett said there is no dispute that the six women had been killed and their remains had been found on Pickton's farm in Port Coquitlam, near Vancouver.

Defense lawyer Peter Ritchie said the defense acknowledges that the women were killed and the bodies found on Pickton's farm but did not agree that he was the murderer.

"The picture of Mr. Prevett (the prosecutor) is not the full picture," Ritchie said.

Ritchie hinted that the defense would suggest that other people who had access to the farm were responsible for the murders, but he did not elaborate.

Prosecutors said the evidence will include at least two heads found in buckets packed with the feet of the victims, and a gun with a dildo attached to it on which the DNA of at least one of the victims was found. All of the victims appear to have been killed by gunshot.

The judge presiding over the trial has already warned jurors they must brace themselves for "shocking" testimony.

A relative of one of the dead women rushed from the courtroom during the prosecution's opening statements.

The women Pickton is accused of killing were among more than 60 prostitutes who disappeared from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside -- one of Canada's poorest neighborhoods -- from the late 1980s until late 2001.

Police initially raided Pickton's ramshackle farm looking for an illegal gun. But the case quickly became a homicide investigation and murder counts were added over the next three years.
The trial will likely raise questions over how police handled the investigation, and the first witness to be called by prosecutors acknowledged that there had been problems.
"There was a belief in early 2001 that the disappearances had stopped in 1999," Royal Canadian Mounted Police Insp. Don Adam told the court.
Activists first raised alarms about missing women in 1991, but a formal task force was not launched until 1999 and it had to be reorganized after stalling.
The DNA of at least 31 of Vancouver's missing women was found on Pickton's farm, according to police.
The second trial on the remaining 20 murder charges facing Pickton will begin once the first trial is completed. If convicted, he faces life in prison. Canada does not have a death penalty.
(Additional reporting by Wency Leung in Vancouver)

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
having a friend who worked on the excavation of the pig farm, this case is a source of real upset to me. This is one of those rare cases where I can't understand the point of a trial. The things they found on that farm.... there's just no point in trying him. Put him down like a rabid dog... the world would be better for it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
He is one sick puppy, just reading about the evidence they have on him made me want to vomit.

There's just something about knowing someone you love, was out there sifting through pig **** for bits of dead hookers, that really freaks you out. A lot of the stuff they found, the really sensational stuff they put in the news, is sickening, but not nearly as sickening as that feeling. Knowing that she's seen and been affected by this, and can't talk to us about it. It's infuriating. We've been dreading the start of the trial, because it drags it all back up for her. Everytime he's in the news, her mind takes her back there. I just want this over for her, for the families, for the victims. He should be shot and the whole thing wrapped up.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
There's just something about knowing someone you love, was out there sifting through pig **** for bits of dead hookers, that really freaks you out. A lot of the stuff they found, the really sensational stuff they put in the news, is sickening, but not nearly as sickening as that feeling. Knowing that she's seen and been affected by this, and can't talk to us about it. It's infuriating. We've been dreading the start of the trial, because it drags it all back up for her. Everytime he's in the news, her mind takes her back there. I just want this over for her, for the families, for the victims. He should be shot and the whole thing wrapped up.

Yeah, I can imagine a few people have been emotionally damaged due to working excavation there.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, I can imagine a few people have been emotionally damaged due to working excavation there.

There was constant counselling going on when they were there, but that doesn't help a whole heck of a lot now. And, I know a lot of guys probably won't get it, but not being able to talk to your closest friends about it takes a toll.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Generally I am not for capital punishment. Some of the worst killers are obviously not right in the head. Where do we draw the line. Clifford Olsen, crazy. Paul Bernado, evil. Robert Pickton, evil. I doubt my choice of Olsen as crazy as opposed to evil will be popular. Crimes committed against children are undeniably the worst crimes. Olsen may be crazy but still guilty. I would lock up the crazy killers for ever. The evil ones should be given a single round to the back of the head.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Generally I am not for capital punishment. Some of the worst killers are obviously not right in the head. Where do we draw the line. Clifford Olsen, crazy. Paul Bernado, evil. Robert Pickton, evil. I doubt my choice of Olsen as crazy as opposed to evil will be popular. Crimes committed against children are undeniably the worst crimes. Olsen may be crazy but still guilty. I would lock up the crazy killers for ever. The evil ones should be given a single round to the back of the head.

I'm with you. I've always honored life and believe that capital punishment is not a good idea generally. But I'd be willing to risk my eternal soul to put a round in Pickton's head.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"Crazy", "evil", I don't care which. I'm against capital punishment except for the three mentioned. As far as I'm concerned all of them knew killing is wrong, so that eliminates the "crazy" part. About the "evil" part; even if people believe in the supernatural, at least the christian bible (not sure about the other "faiths") says in Genesis 9:6, "Quicumque effuderit humanum sanguinem fundetur sanguis illius ad imaginem quippe Dei factus est homo ". It translates to "Whosoever shall shed man's blood, his blood shall be shed: for man was made to the image of God."