Duck shot by Florida hunter survives 2 days in refrigerator

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - The duck would not die.

Wildlife officials said the feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days. That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital.

"She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The hospital's staff had the daughter take the 450-gram female ring-neck to Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75-per-cent chance of survival but probably will not ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press
I just watched this on CTV news this morning. Amazing bird!
That is horrid.

First of all, who throws an uncleaned duck in their fridge? Yuck. We always cleaned our birds before we put them in the fridge, is this just me?

Second of all, why would you put a duck through the horror of rehabilitation and captivity? If it was good enough to kill the first time, isn't it good enough to put out of its misery? Seems silly to me. I bet that hunter is wicked ticked that his wife didn't just get out the cleaver and put the poor thing out of its misery.