Letter to editor earns 81-year-old Pa. man a visit from Secret Service agents

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) - An elderly man who wrote in a letter to the editor about Saddam Hussein's execution that "they hanged the wrong man" got a visit from Secret Service agents concerned he was threatening U.S. President George W. Bush.

The letter by Dan Tilli, 81, was published in Monday's edition of The Express-Times of Easton, Pa. It ended with the line, "I still believe they hanged the wrong man."

Tilli said the statement was not a threat. "I didn't say who - I could've meant (Osama) bin Laden," he said Friday.

Two Secret Service agents questioned Tilli at his Bethlehem apartment Thursday, briefly searching the place and taking pictures of him, he said.

The Secret Service confirmed the encounter. Bob Slama, special agent in charge of the Secret Service's Philadelphia office, said it was the agency's duty to investigate.

The agents almost immediately decided Tilli was not a threat, Slama said

"We have no further interest in Dan," he said.

Tilli said the agents appeared more relaxed when he dug out a scrapbook containing more than 200 letters that he has written over the years, almost all on political topics.

"He said, 'Keep writing, but just don't make no threats,"' Tilli said of one of the agents.

It wasn't Tilli's first run-in with the federal government over his letter writing. Two FBI agents from Allentown showed up at his home last year about a letter he wrote advocating a civil war to unseat Bush, he said.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
In the "free" US of A such things go on! A man cannot write a letter stating his opinions with a visit from the American version of the Gestapo!

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The Secret Service must examine any threat made publicly about the President.

They'd have to explain to the public if they don't and something does happen.

Even Canada checks out public threats towards the PM.

By the way, Gestapos, don't relax when, to quote the article, they see:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tilli said the agents appeared more relaxed when he dug out a scrapbook containing more than 200 letters that he has written over the years, almost all on political topics.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He said, 'Keep writing, but just don't make no threats,"' Tilli said of one of the agents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing that a guy writes a lot of incendiary crap might have made a Gastapo "less relaxed"
n'est pas ?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Seeing that a guy writes a lot of incendiary crap might have made a Gastapo "less relaxed"
n'est pas ?

I could see it making them more stressed if all 200 letters were in regard to Bush, and called for his death. But, if those 200 letters span dozens of politicians throughout time, with similar statements made regarding them, yet no attempts on any of their lives, then I can see them saying "bah, he's just a ranting old man, no worries", which seems to be what they thought.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I could see it making them more stressed if all 200 letters were in regard to Bush, and called for his death. But, if those 200 letters span dozens of politicians throughout time, with similar statements made regarding them, yet no attempts on any of their lives, then I can see them saying "bah, he's just a ranting old man, no worries", which seems to be what they thought.

Ranting old men & women can make a differance, they should not be discounted, they are becoming
militant in numbers sufficient to make waves especially with regards to medicare and drugs.:wave:

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
The Secret Service must examine any threat made publicly about the President.

They'd have to explain to the public if they don't and something does happen.

Even Canada checks out public threats towards the PM.

By the way, Gestapos, don't relax when, to quote the article, they see:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

n'est pas ?

I hadn't thought of all that. Thanks for the clarification. I guess what sparked my comment was the age of the man, and if he had done it before, surely they knew he was harmless.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
ol codger-like things

Yup;

We have the right to rant and rave and call our politicos, crooks, which they is, but if one of us makes a blatent or even perceived threat agains a glorious leader, we shall not doubt, receive attention from the Arsey-MP, or the FBI, depending on the country in which we live.

I kind of agree with that, as it is more or less important to investigate the wing nuts in case one flys off the bolt and actually does something nasty. An old wing nut is a wing nut none the less.

Here's the rub. We need our wing nuts to point out perhaps that we become too complacent in our soft, easy life, where children go hungry, and medical procedures bankrupt people.

"Just don't make no threats" sounds like a Harvard schooled agent. At least a Canadian one would say; "just don't make no threats, eh"

:tongue7:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Politeness............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hadn't thought of all that. Thanks for the clarification. I guess what sparked my comment was the age of the man, and if he had done it before, surely they knew he was harmless.

Mary; Don't never apologize on this here board. It'll be taken as a sign of politeness an ye shall receive an arrow or hatchet or some other such missle betwixt the shoulder blades fer yer trouble. :wave:

Welcome to CC.:read2:

:tongue7:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Politicians have a terrific defense against just about everything...

"Yes we promised that (XYZ promise during election campaign) but we didn't realize how badly the state of our economy/treasury/policies/legislation has been managed by the previous government".

"Yes we made a committment to do XYZ (combat poverty/drugs/guns/corruption)a but more immediate necessities demand we put those initiatives on hold."

Yes there are millions of dollars missing/mismanaged/poorly spent/wasted, and those responsible will be held to account for their actions.." (Nothing absolutely nothing happens to any elected representative but civilians and private citizens will take the fall..and the taxpayer gets to pay for the legal representation of liars and theives)

"Canadians have the ultimate control over what happens on Parliament hill....at election time".

Billons wasted lost and stolen between elections are never recovered so why should any politician have the slightest pause in screwing over everyone and anyone he/she can?

Threatening a politician with violence will land you in deep doo doo... even if you don't do anything...but a politician who destroys the economy and litters the landscape with the elderly the poor and the disabled suffers absolutely no consequences...

Democracy my a$$!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
lunacy. that wasnt a threat that was an old man getting pissed off. even if he actually wanted to hang bush a) there's no reason he shouldnt want to b)he can say it all he likes, as long as he doesnt actually try it

this is why i moved to canada and not the US. i'm convinced the same letter here wouldnt cause trouble

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Democracy my a$$!

O it's democracy all right. Just because the electorate is apathetic doesn't negate the democracy. If you can get people to care enough to lift a finger, you can use the democracy to make changes. The challenge is getting people to care enough to turn their attention away from American Idol.

Case in point, the party in power today was formed just twenty years ago. Also look at the strides made by the green party. They don't have any actual power but they are definitely accumulating some influence.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Just..

Thanks for the contribution..

Could you provide an example where I can read about the magnitudes of change brought to Canadian society through a simple mans idea winning its day...