Tour manager sues over 'masturbating' claim

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario
A rock band tour manager launched a High Court libel action today over a claim he was caught masturbating when he should have been at work.
Mark Stickland, 36, says he was portrayed as a "sexual deviant" in a January 2006 edition of music magazine Kerrang!
He wants damages, including aggravated damages, from publishers Emap Metro (NB: Not associated with metro.co.uk), which says the allegation was true.
The article, Filth Pigs, warned readers to "prepare to be disgusted" by the "sickest interview ever" with metalcore band Bullet For My Valentine.
It included a comment from drummer Moose about the Bridgend four-piece's tour manager on its German dates in December 2005 - a position held at the time by Mr Stickland although he was not named directly.
Asked if he had ever been caught "w*nking", Moose was quoted as saying: "Never, I'm too good at it, but we caught our tour manager pleasuring himself in Germany two weeks ago.
"He was in a dressing room and we just walked in and I knew what he was doing instantly, you can't mistake that sound for anything else.
"We called him Stinky for the rest of the tour."
Mr Stickland's counsel, William McCormick, told Mr Justice Tugendhat and a jury in London, the incident never happened and his client had been seriously defamed.
"It attributed to him conduct which he will say is wholly inconsistent with him properly discharging his professional responsibilities.
"What's being said is that when he should have been at work, he engaged in activity which was lewd, sexual and, effectively, he could not control his sexual impulses."
Mr Stickland, of Mansfield Road, Nottingham, was a "fairly ordinary guy who takes a quiet pride in doing his job well and enjoys the respect and esteem of friends and acquaintances".
But, since publication, the court heard people had laughed at him and called him Stinky, and he felt awkward about ringing contacts for further work.
There had been no apology and Mr Stickland would have to go through the ordeal of a public trial, his counsel said.
The publishers for the magazine, which has a weekly circulation of 70,000, deny libel and will be calling Moose - real name Michael Thomas - to give evidence.
Emap's counsel, Caroline Addy, said Mr Stickland had not been named and the vast majority of readers - the "14-year-old thrash metal fan from Barrow-in-Furness" - would not have picked up on such an obscure reference.
It was an allegation of clandestine and entirely ordinary sexual behaviour, which was not defamatory, and was also true.
"Moose discovered the claimant doing exactly that in the production room during the tour of Germany in December 2005 in the city of Bremen".
Moose's story was supported by the fact what happened became a joke for his fellow band members and some of the crew.
Prompted by a Wallace and Gromit film, they took to calling Mr Stickland, Stinky, although not to his face.
She said Mr Stickland, happy to join in banter and teasing of a sexual nature, was not bringing the action for vindication - but for money.
The case, expected to last up to three days, continues.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Well, he did open the door without knocking.! :dontknow:

"Cn' nevr no wat yer' gonna see if u dos thet". :shock:

AndyF

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Nono, he said he's never been caught wanking because he's too good at it, I guess their manager is an amateur...lol.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Nono, he said he's never been caught wanking because he's too good at it, I guess their manager is an amateur...lol.

Every guy is a 'milion miler' in that department. It's also like the 'holier than thou saints' ( not directed at you Sanctus) that know the smell pot even though they 'don't use'.:tongue7:

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario
Every guy is a 'milion miler' in that department. It's also like the 'holier than thou saints' ( not directed at you Sanctus) that know the smell pot even though they 'don't use'.:tongue7:

Why are men so uptight about this seemingly normal behaviour anyways? If you all do it anyway, why is it so impossible to not only admit it, but talk about it? Having 4 teenage sons, I'm sure they masturbate. But I have noticed they tease each other about the "possibility" of doing it. And all of them lie to their brothers, in my opinion, and claim they don't "need" to do it. It's very confusing to me why such a normal part of male sexuality is such a source of shame for males!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Why are men so uptight about this seemingly normal behaviour anyways? If you all do it anyway, why is it so impossible to not only admit it, but talk about it? Having 4 teenage sons, I'm sure they masturbate. But I have noticed they tease each other about the "possibility" of doing it. And all of them lie to their brothers, in my opinion, and claim they don't "need" to do it. It's very confusing to me why such a normal part of male sexuality is such a source of shame for males!

Oh well, we need to do it. It is our uptight society that imposes the 'shame'

Signed ' I wanked today '

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
:laughing7:Good for you, but why won't men talk about this with one another?

The less uptight will. At least admit to it anyway. But some, like one freind of mine, will swear up, down and sideways that they never do. I guess they are very sensetive about teasing. Babies they are.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The less uptight will. At least admit to it anyway. But some, like one freind of mine, will swear up, down and sideways that they never do. I guess they are very sensetive about teasing. Babies they are.

You're right. Even when I was a teenage boy there was a strict, unspoken, code amongst us guys that we never discussed this, ever. If pressed, none of us did it, none of us needed to do it and none of us had a clue what it even felt like:) We were all lying of course, and we all knew we were lying.

Admitting it got you teased, for some strange reason. Probably because we had been taught to be ashamed of masturbation or being seen as a "homosexual"?

On the other hand, darleneonfire, why would we even need to discuss it amongst ourselves since by its very nature it is a solitary act?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Lol, circle jerk. It's funny that teenagers tease about that sort of stuff. I can remember participating in the teasing, and denying it with the rest of my friends. My body makes more sperm than I'll ever need to make babies, and my body isn't meant to store it for later use. I remember being caught when I was young. It's funny to look back at, but very embarassing when it happened.