Will Saudis Ban the Letter ‘X'?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Beheadings must be out of season I guess.

By YOUSSEF IBRAHIM
January 15, 2007

The letter "X" soon may be banned in Saudi Arabia because it resembles the mother of all banned religious symbols in the oil kingdom: the cross.
The new development came with the issuing of another mind-bending fatwa, or religious edict, by the infamous Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice — the group of senior Islamic clergy that reigns supreme on all legal, civil, and governance matters in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The commission's damning of the letter "X" came in response to a Ministry of Trade query about whether it should grant trademark protection to a Saudi businessman for a new service carrying the English name "Explorer."

Continued http://www.nysun.com/article/46707

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Beheadings must be out of season I guess.

By YOUSSEF IBRAHIM
January 15, 2007

The letter "X" soon may be banned in Saudi Arabia because it resembles the mother of all banned religious symbols in the oil kingdom: the cross.
The new development came with the issuing of another mind-bending fatwa, or religious edict, by the infamous Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice — the group of senior Islamic clergy that reigns supreme on all legal, civil, and governance matters in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The commission's damning of the letter "X" came in response to a Ministry of Trade query about whether it should grant trademark protection to a Saudi businessman for a new service carrying the English name "Explorer."

Continued http://www.nysun.com/article/46707

Perhaps they would prefer the new service "Explorer" change its name to something similar that didn't include an "x"......something like

CRUSADER

I kinda like it.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i hope they do ban it. I expect it'll be a lot of trouble for them. anyone that wants to be so awkward is welcome to do it to themselves

do you remember "brave new world" by aldous huxley? all the crosses in england had had their tops chopped off to make them into T's to celebrate the model T ford.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Toro

Signing their names isn't nearly as tough for them as knowing who dad was so they have some name to go by....

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Just kidding Abdul was born in New York....

It was Larry El Bird I was thinking of...