But is it art?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
"Bon appetit" said Chilean artist Marco Evaristti as he presented his friends with his newest creation: meatballs cooked with fat from his own body, extracted by liposuction.
"Ladies and gentleman, bon appetit and may god bless," said Evaristti, a glass in his hand, to his dining companions seated night around a table in Santiago's Animal Gallery tonight.
On the plates in front of them was a serving of agnolotti pasta and in the middle a meatball made with oil Evaristti removed from his body in a liposuction procedure last year.
"The question of whether or not to eat human flesh is more important than the result," he said, explaining the point of his creation.
"You are not a cannibal if you eat art," he added.
Evaristti produced 48 meatballs with his own fat, some of which would be canned and sold for $US4,000 ($A5,120) for 10.
A veteran at shock-art, in an earlier work Evaristti invited people to kill fish by pressing the button on a blender the fish were held in.
In April 2004 he dyed an enormous iceberg in Greenland with red paint.
AFP

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
"Bon appetit" said Chilean artist Marco Evaristti as he presented his friends with his newest creation: meatballs cooked with fat from his own body, extracted by liposuction.
"Ladies and gentleman, bon appetit and may god bless," said Evaristti, a glass in his hand, to his dining companions seated night around a table in Santiago's Animal Gallery tonight.
On the plates in front of them was a serving of agnolotti pasta and in the middle a meatball made with oil Evaristti removed from his body in a liposuction procedure last year.
"The question of whether or not to eat human flesh is more important than the result," he said, explaining the point of his creation.
"You are not a cannibal if you eat art," he added.
Evaristti produced 48 meatballs with his own fat, some of which would be canned and sold for $US4,000 ($A5,120) for 10.
A veteran at shock-art, in an earlier work Evaristti invited people to kill fish by pressing the button on a blender the fish were held in.
In April 2004 he dyed an enormous iceberg in Greenland with red paint.
AFP

how gross. wouldnt these sort of thing be against the law or soemthing?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What a wierdo, he is an artist though... I'm not very impressed with his fish killing either.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
What a wierdo, he is an artist though... I'm not very impressed with his fish killing either.

I'm not convinced that sucking fat out of one's body and serving it for dinner is art. It sounds to me more like a rather sick and twisted mind.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
What a remarkedly delightful story!

I have always thought it a shame that those delicious calories from the delectable fragments of liposuction are lost down the drain and feed only fish. Of course, we then eat the fish, but it is not as tasty I am sure as direct consumption of lard. And of course, there would be a lot of nutritious iron from the blood around the liposucted fat.

And if one set if up as a diet plan- what a money making entrepreneurship!

Eat away your pounds!!!

Or maybe one could even set up a diet farm/ restaurant where hungry people get to suck the fat out directly of the obese people being treated- rather like having a milk shake at a diner.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
But then of course, I always look at things in a very practical nature, and I haven't answered the real question here, which is : Is it Art?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not convinced that sucking fat out of one's body and serving it for dinner is art. It sounds to me more like a rather sick and twisted mind.

Well, to me this isn't art as much as a stunt for shock value. But strictly if he makes his living in this kinda way, abstract art or whatever he calls it, I guess that makes him an artist. If people are buying this crap, I guess they see it as art. Kinda like that designer cologne/perfume made from oil.

The question what is art, you can't say it's paint on a canvas, or a shaped lump of clay, marble or whatever. It's creation, and I guess it's meant to express some feeling or even bring out some feeling in the person.

Like I said though, I don't consider this art, I'm sure somebody does, at least Mr.Evaristti does.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I suppose this is art in the sense that some people think of it.... something that makes you think, challenges your notions of the world.

But, cannibalism is also one of the most dangerous dietary practises in the world, and banned for good reason. Diseases are easily transmitted through cannibalism, human spongiform encephalitis is the most notorious. admittedly, the odds of transmitting it through fat are low, but, not absent.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Apologies karrie if i went a bit too far, I was only quoting Hannibal Lector.

I just can't wrap my head around this bit of news.
oh gosh no... I was really just making fun of ANY kind of liver eating.... ugh.

My sense of humor just doesn't come across well in text at times. I'm familiar with Hannibal, even though I was only about 11 or so when i saw the movie.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Well, to me this isn't art as much as a stunt for shock value. But strictly if he makes his living in this kinda way, abstract art or whatever he calls it, I guess that makes him an artist. If people are buying this crap, I guess they see it as art. Kinda like that designer cologne/perfume made from oil.

The question what is art, you can't say it's paint on a canvas, or a shaped lump of clay, marble or whatever. It's creation, and I guess it's meant to express some feeling or even bring out some feeling in the person.

Like I said though, I don't consider this art, I'm sure somebody does, at least Mr.Evaristti does.

They say that "art is in the eye of the beholder", but if someone vomited in a pail and called it art, how many people would agree? It would cause a response from people, but I'm not sure that's sufficient to call something art. Shock value is not art anymore ... it's totally passe.

The guy should go back to eating too much rather than trying to capitalize on his glutonous habits.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Another really sick puppy.

Shades of the film: The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.

If the guy made it into a movie where he's sitting there eating his own disgusting suctioned fat, maybe then we could call it art ... and maybe not.