Five American cops pin British professor to ground and jail him.....for jaywalking

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The TimesJanuary 11, 2007
Jaywalking don hit by full force of the law

Will Pavia

* Five officers pin professor to ground

* It's lucky he was not shot, says wife

Felipe Fernandez-Armesto

A distinguished British historian who tried to cross a road in Atlanta, Georgia, has complained of being wrestled to the ground, pinioned by five police officers and incarcerated.

Felipe Fernández-Armesto, 56, visiting Professor of Global Environmental History at Queen Mary, University of London, was attending the conference of the American Historical Association last Thursday when he was caught jaywalking.

“I’m a mass of contusions and grazes,” he said in an interview shown on the website YouTube (scroll down the page to view it).

“I come from a country where you can cross the road where you like,” he said. “It hadn’t occurred to me that I wasn’t allowed to cross the road between the two main conference venues.”

He was not the only historian so to offend. A policeman called Kevin Leonpacher led a crackdown on the scholars, cautioning several before confronting the British professor, whose work has been compared to that of the 18th-century greats Gibbon and Montesquieu.

A lard-arsed cop watches over proceedings

“I didn’t appreciate the gravity of the offence,” he said. “And I didn’t recognise him as a policeman. He was wearing . . . a bomber jacket, like a jerkin.”

The officer asked the professor for identification. The professor asked the officer for identification. Officer Leonpacher then told him that he was under arrest and, according to the professor, subjected him to “terrible, terrible violence”.

He said: “This young man kicked my legs from under me, wrenched me round, pinned me to the ground, wrenched my arms behind my back, handcuffed me.” As he bridled at this treatment, Officer Leonpacher called for help and soon “I had five burly policemen pinioning me to the ground”.

His colleagues were astonished. It was “like he was Osama bin Laden or something”, said Lisa Kazmier, a historian from Philadelphia.

The professor had hoped to spend the afternoon listening to his fellows discoursing on arcane topics. Instead, he was handcuffed to another suspect in a “filthy paddywagon” and fingerprinted in a detention centre, where his peppermints were confiscated.

His bail was set at £720 and he remained behind bars for eight hours. When he told a judge his side of the story in court the next morning the case was dropped.

Officer Leonpacher was unrepentant, saying: “He chose to ignore a uniformed officer. At what point can anyone say I overreacted?”

The professor’s wife, Lesley, told The Times yesterday: “I suppose it’s lucky he wasn’t shot.”

The professor said that, as an “ageing member of the bourgeoisie”, he found it all educational — and was now seen by many of his colleagues “as a combination of Rambo, because it took five cops to pin me to the ground, and Perry Mason, because my eloquence before a judge obtained my immediate release”.

Walk, don't walk

Georgia’s criminal code, Section 40-6-96, states: “Where a sidewalk is provided, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway”

A police officer was present when the professor, right, attempted to cross the road, so he was charged with being in breach of Section 40-6-90:

It states: “A pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic-control device specifically applicable to him, unless otherwise directed by a police officer”

America - the "Land of the Free"?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Walk, don't walk

One of the small pleasures of returning to Britain from America is the freedom to cross the roads, wherever we will and at at whatever risk we care to run, without fear of arrest.

It is reported in London today that our distinguished and much loved TLS (Times Literary Supplement) contributor, Felipe Fernandez Armesto, will be particularly pleased to return home from his current US trip - after enduring the attention of 5 Georgia police officers and 8 hours in an Atlanta jail for the crime which Americans know as 'jaywalking'.

The occasion was the conference of the American Historical Association.

The incident took place in the road outside the conference hotels.

The initial offence was hardly grave.

But words which an officer in a 'rather louche' bomberjacket intended as an order were interpreted by our historian as mere friendly advice from a fellow pedestrian.

''Terrible' terrible violence' was his description of the handcuffing and judo-grips meted out to him by police when he continued to cross the road at a non-designated place and time.

'Very humiliating' was his description to the court of his inability to find his £720 bail money and his consequent night in the cells.

Felipe has contributed extensively to the TLS over the years, often on favourite subjects such as the importance of maps and the city rules of Mediaeval Spain. We expect much more of the same, with added insight, in issues to come.

Fortunately he left the court with all charges dropped and his record clean.

thetimesonline.co.uk

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I've managed to live here for almost 3 years without being wrestled to the ground once by cops. I wonder why that is?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
because u dont cross the road except by walking out of your way and using a crossing the other end of the block? or the police never caught u? maybe u live in a nicer state, or the police eat too many donuts to catch you? either way a country in which the above happens needs some re-evaluation i think. not that the cops in the UK dont go crazy soemtimes too

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
because u dont cross the road except by walking out of your way and using a crossing the other end of the block? or the police never caught u? maybe u live in a nicer state, or the police eat too many donuts to catch you? either way a country in which the above happens needs some re-evaluation i think. not that the cops in the UK dont go crazy soemtimes too

Or maybe it's because I wouldn't ignore the legal warnings police officers give me when I'm visiting their country? I seriously doubt this professor is being completely candid in his telling of the story. I'm skeptical 5 officers are going to wrestle a reasonable person to the ground for fun.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The officer was wearing a bomber jacket? If someone asked me for ID and they had no recognizable emblems or markings to indicate who they were, I would be inclined to ask for their ID as well.

Must have been a slow day to warrant stopping someone for jay-walking.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
To be fair, he seems like a clever man, surely he should have known about jay-walking?...cripes, even I know about jay-walking.

Although.....

When I was in new york, at about 91st Street East, I was walking down the road with my ipod playing, I noticed the sidewalk was a bit empty....when all of a sudden some big burley fella walks up to me, clearly he's talking to me, but as I thought he was a loonie like you hear about in NY, I decided to ignore him an go about my business, well, he wouldnt stop, at the third time of him repeating himself, he got out his gun and his badge.....

with that I took my earphones off and heard him say "LOT'S CLOSED!!!".....I'm just glad he didn't wrestle ME to the ground!!.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i know about jaywalking but u dont often stop and think before crossing the road. you see a gap and u run. it's rediculous to outlaw crossing the road

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
The TimesJanuary 11, 2007
Jaywalking don hit by full force of the law

Will Pavia

* Five officers pin professor to ground

* It's lucky he was not shot, says wife

Felipe Fernandez-Armesto

A distinguished British historian who tried to cross a road in Atlanta, Georgia, has complained of being wrestled to the ground, pinioned by five police officers and incarcerated.

Felipe Fernández-Armesto, 56, visiting Professor of Global Environmental History at Queen Mary, University of London, was attending the conference of the American Historical Association last Thursday when he was caught jaywalking.

“I’m a mass of contusions and grazes,” he said in an interview shown on the website YouTube (scroll down the page to view it).

“I come from a country where you can cross the road where you like,” he said. “It hadn’t occurred to me that I wasn’t allowed to cross the road between the two main conference venues.”

He was not the only historian so to offend. A policeman called Kevin Leonpacher led a crackdown on the scholars, cautioning several before confronting the British professor, whose work has been compared to that of the 18th-century greats Gibbon and Montesquieu.

A lard-arsed cop watches over proceedings

“I didn’t appreciate the gravity of the offence,” he said. “And I didn’t recognise him as a policeman. He was wearing . . . a bomber jacket, like a jerkin.”

The officer asked the professor for identification. The professor asked the officer for identification. Officer Leonpacher then told him that he was under arrest and, according to the professor, subjected him to “terrible, terrible violence”.

He said: “This young man kicked my legs from under me, wrenched me round, pinned me to the ground, wrenched my arms behind my back, handcuffed me.” As he bridled at this treatment, Officer Leonpacher called for help and soon “I had five burly policemen pinioning me to the ground”.

His colleagues were astonished. It was “like he was Osama bin Laden or something”, said Lisa Kazmier, a historian from Philadelphia.

The professor had hoped to spend the afternoon listening to his fellows discoursing on arcane topics. Instead, he was handcuffed to another suspect in a “filthy paddywagon” and fingerprinted in a detention centre, where his peppermints were confiscated.

His bail was set at £720 and he remained behind bars for eight hours. When he told a judge his side of the story in court the next morning the case was dropped.

Officer Leonpacher was unrepentant, saying: “He chose to ignore a uniformed officer. At what point can anyone say I overreacted?”

The professor’s wife, Lesley, told The Times yesterday: “I suppose it’s lucky he wasn’t shot.”

The professor said that, as an “ageing member of the bourgeoisie”, he found it all educational — and was now seen by many of his colleagues “as a combination of Rambo, because it took five cops to pin me to the ground, and Perry Mason, because my eloquence before a judge obtained my immediate release”.

Walk, don't walk

Georgia’s criminal code, Section 40-6-96, states: “Where a sidewalk is provided, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway”

A police officer was present when the professor, right, attempted to cross the road, so he was charged with being in breach of Section 40-6-90:

It states: “A pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic-control device specifically applicable to him, unless otherwise directed by a police officer”

America - the "Land of the Free"?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Walk, don't walk

One of the small pleasures of returning to Britain from America is the freedom to cross the roads, wherever we will and at at whatever risk we care to run, without fear of arrest.

It is reported in London today that our distinguished and much loved TLS (Times Literary Supplement) contributor, Felipe Fernandez Armesto, will be particularly pleased to return home from his current US trip - after enduring the attention of 5 Georgia police officers and 8 hours in an Atlanta jail for the crime which Americans know as 'jaywalking'.

The occasion was the conference of the American Historical Association.

The incident took place in the road outside the conference hotels.

The initial offence was hardly grave.

But words which an officer in a 'rather louche' bomberjacket intended as an order were interpreted by our historian as mere friendly advice from a fellow pedestrian.

''Terrible' terrible violence' was his description of the handcuffing and judo-grips meted out to him by police when he continued to cross the road at a non-designated place and time.

'Very humiliating' was his description to the court of his inability to find his £720 bail money and his consequent night in the cells.

Felipe has contributed extensively to the TLS over the years, often on favourite subjects such as the importance of maps and the city rules of Mediaeval Spain. We expect much more of the same, with added insight, in issues to come.

Fortunately he left the court with all charges dropped and his record clean.

thetimesonline.co.uk

I lol'd

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I am sure if the Distinguished Prof. had said.

"Sorry ol' chap. I am visting from England and I was unaware of the laws."

... well there wouldn't have been a problem.

But something tells me this guy had a few choice words for the cop and resisted arrest. THAT will most definitely get 4 other cops to the scene.

Yep... lived here ALL my life and never needed to be wrestled to the ground... not once. Have i been spoken to the Police for a transgression like a traffic violation or as a kid wrestling in a parking lot? You bet. My answer to those cops.

"Yes Sir, No Sir, sorry Sir"

No wrestling needed after that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
okay, i read of a similar occurence with a teenager and two officers in, i believe it was Edmonton, the officers tackled him, scraping the skin off his legs and blackening his eye, because they caught him looking for a cd in his mom's own van and for whatever reason assumed he was a theif. while it was pretty clear what had happened there and that it was unjustified, i have a hard time feeling sorry for, or trusting the story of, a grown man who should not only have known better, but possesses the verbal capacity to explain himself. I tend to not believe that he didn't lip off and get rude with the officers. what you'll hear in the press is spin. it may have all happened the way he's told the press, or he may simply be spinning the occurence. regardless, i find the constant references to how brilliant his work is, and the closing parts of the article irritating and ignorant. complaining about the state of the paddywagon as if he deserved a better vehicle than the one the rest of society would have to use if arrested, seems elitist and downright ridiculous. and they confiscated his pepperimints!? NO! Not the peppermints!?

Oh, and one more complaint.... not one of the officers in the picture (except the man in the suit), is dressed in civilian clothes. all are clearly badged as police officers. assuming the original officer to address him didn't run off for some weird reason, how could he have not known any of those men were officers?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The school I was at before my current school, I was a tutor. The student I was tutoring was schizophroenic. He was at the mall with the woman who took him in as a boarder, she was buying groceries and he was wandering through the store. Some police officers approached him after hearing about someone snatching purses, I mean he probably looked the part with his sketchy glances. He ended up running from them because he was scared, genuinely scared. He couldn't handle social situations very well. I can imagine that there are other people who may not be schizophroenic who would also run simply because they are scared. Not everyone thinks rationally unfortunately.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Of course he mouthed off. He was a Professor and he was above them in his mind. He was going to make a stand and tell these cops to go play with themselves more or less. Cops don't like that.

Now he has no peppermints!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
mouthy or not, no one deserves to be pinned by five cops. Such a physical punishment is only really neccessary when he's likely to hurt people. if he got violent i could understand it maybe

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
mouthy or not, no one deserves to be pinned by five cops. Such a physical punishment is only really neccessary when he's likely to hurt people. if he got violent i could understand it maybe

Resisting arrest is being violent isn't it? I'm sure he had the opportunity to submit to arrest with one cop before all 5 had to get involved.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
hmm so maybe it went like this:

old guy, crossing a road, not really thinking much, used to being allowed to cross the road wherever he is, knew vaguely about jaywalking but didnt know how much trouble it could cause or just wasnt thinking about that, maybe he had a cool research idea about growing ears on the backs of pigs or something.

Old guys viewpoint: some random guy in a weird outfit he didnt associate with police (there wasnt a tit-shaped helmet on his head) tackles him and starts to pull him around. He struggles, he's alarmed, doesnt know what's happening, suddenly the pig-with-an-ear-on-it's-back idea is lost. The other guy calls for assistance and five men are on top of him, then he realises, hey maybe these guys are cops, crikey they're being a bit rough arent they? i'm pissed.... grrr

cops point of view: There's nothing to do and i have no donuts.... Maybe i can arrest someone... i'll keep an extra good eye out for misdoings and make an example of someone. I discovered i had erectile dysfunction last night and i need to show i am still a man. WOW there's a misdemeanour right there... that guy's jaywalking. I'll arrest him. Grabs the guys arm, guy jerks violently away, cop realises the guy might resist, pins him down, guy struggles, surprises cop with his strength, cop gets nervous that he might be seen to be unmanly, calls for a assistance ina deep manly voice, his friends drop their donuts and jump on him, guy seems to get very angry, maybe he is resisting arrest cos he has drugs on his person or something? better be strong with this guy....

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That seems about right. Send these cops to New Orleans to fix a real problem...