U.S. school board fires art teacher who uses posterior as paintbrush

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - An art teacher whose off-hours work as a so-called "butt-printing artist" became widely circulated among high school students has been fired.

Stephen Murmer, a teacher at Monacan High School, was suspended in December after objections were raised about his private abstract artwork, much of which includes smearing his posterior and genitals with paint and pressing them against the canvas.

His paintings sell for as much as US$900 each on his website.

The Chesterfield County School Board voted unanimously Tuesday night to fire him, spokeswoman Debra Marlow said.

The board reasoned that students have a right to receive their education in an environment free from distractions and disruptions, she said. The decision also is in keeping with court rulings that hold that teachers are expected to lead by example and be role models, she said.

Jason Anthony, Murmer's attorney, called the vote "a bad day for the First Amendment."

"Chesterfield lost a tremendous asset today," he said.

The unique approach to art became a topic when a clip showing Murmer, wearing a fake nose and glasses, a towel on his head and black thong, turned up on YouTube.com and became the talk of the high school.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - An art teacher whose off-hours work as a so-called "butt-printing artist" became widely circulated among high school students has been fired.

Stephen Murmer, a teacher at Monacan High School, was suspended in December after objections were raised about his private abstract artwork, much of which includes smearing his posterior and genitals with paint and pressing them against the canvas.

His paintings sell for as much as US$900 each on his website.

The Chesterfield County School Board voted unanimously Tuesday night to fire him, spokeswoman Debra Marlow said.

The board reasoned that students have a right to receive their education in an environment free from distractions and disruptions, she said. The decision also is in keeping with court rulings that hold that teachers are expected to lead by example and be role models, she said.

Jason Anthony, Murmer's attorney, called the vote "a bad day for the First Amendment."

"Chesterfield lost a tremendous asset today," he said.

The unique approach to art became a topic when a clip showing Murmer, wearing a fake nose and glasses, a towel on his head and black thong, turned up on YouTube.com and became the talk of the high school.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

Dammit, and I was just about to start up my own butt-printing service...

Seriously, this teacher and anyone who thinks this is art needs to be taken out in the alley and hit in the side of the head with a large shovel. For this butt-boy to try to hide behind the first amendment is ridiculous.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON

Dammit, and I was just about to start up my own butt-printing service...

Seriously, this teacher and anyone who thinks this is art needs to be taken out in the alley and hit in the side of the head with a large shovel. For this butt-boy to try to hide behind the first amendment is ridiculous.

That's not the point. The point is what he does on his own time is his own business. Art is not something easily defined anyway.I, for example, love avant-garde art, but you might not. Neither of us is right as art is subjective.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
That's not the point. The point is what he does on his own time is his own business. Art is not something easily defined anyway.I, for example, love avant-garde art, but you might not. Neither of us is right as art is subjective.

Teaching kids in the United States is not a right, it is a privilege. He made an "ass" of himself in order to feed his extroverted ego, and make a name for himself. What he does on his own time is his business, I agree. But if he brings it into an educational setting, and distracts from the learning enviroment, then he has to go. And gone he is...don't worry though I'm sure the ACLU and some butt-print art lovers will be filing suit against the school district any minute now.

On the bright side, now he has plenty of time to run around assaulting innocent canvas with his genitalia and buttocks. :)

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Teaching kids in the United States is not a right, it is a privilege. He made an "ass" of himself in order to feed his extroverted ego, and make a name for himself. What he does on his own time is his business, I agree. But if he brings it into an educational setting, and distracts from the learning enviroment, then he has to go. And gone he is...don't worry though I'm sure the ACLU and some butt-print art lovers will be filing suit against the school district any minute now.

On the bright side, now he has plenty of time to run around assaulting innocent canvas with his genitalia and buttocks. :)

i dont get why he has to use his thing and his butt, dosent he have hands?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
you can be a teacher or u can be controversial. if u try both u gonna have trouble. he should have known that, especially in conservative US