Canada/US Economies Thriving....YAY

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/...=81e549a0-1c05-4722-836a-7c236acbf06b&k=29629

Well Happy New Year Everyone!!! This is another bit of good news

Canada, U.S. jobs tally shocks economists

Economy: No sign of slowdown

Peter Morton, Financial Post

Published: Saturday, January 06, 2007
WASHINGTON - Stunning jumps in job creation last month on both sides of the border mean the Canadian and U.S. economies are still firing on all cylinders, economists said yesterday.
Canada's unemployment rate hit an unexpected 30-year low of 6.1% in December when 62,000 people found new jobs, bringing annual job creation to 345,000. This is the 14th straight year for new job creation in Canada.
Douglas Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets in Toronto, labelled the 62,000 increase "jaw-dropping" and something not seen since last May, when 96,700 jobs were created north of the border. The increase in jobs in Canada was four times more than economists had predicted.
"To see that resilience over that period of time and these good job numbers today is encouraging," said Jim Flaherty, the Finance Minister. "That is not to say that our economy is not slowing. It has been slowing for a time and that was anticipated in budget 2006, and we watch that closely."
In the U.S., economists were also surprised the economy generated 167,000 new jobs in December even as the housing slump appeared to loom larger.
"This is a much stronger-than expected report with a solid gain in December payrolls, an upward revision to prior months and a well above-trend gain in hourly earnings," said David Greenlaw, an economist at Morgan Stanley & Co. in New York.
The strongest job creation in Canada was in Ontario, where nearly two-thirds of the new jobs were. Over the entire year, Ontario had a job-growth rate of 1.8%, although the increases were largely in the service sector. Ontario has lost 130,000 manufacturing jobs since the fall of 2002.
In Quebec, the unemployment rate hit a 30-year-low of 7.5% last month, while Alberta, still fuelled by the energy boom, saw its best growth rate in 26 years with an increase of 6% over the year.
Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador and British Columbia had job growth above the national average last year.
The increase in U.S. jobs and a 0.5% increase in the hourly wage meant U.S. workers were in better shape than anticipated. Economists had expected to see a 100,000 increase in new jobs last month.
"This is a good report for the American worker," said Ken Mayland, president of Clear View Economics.
The jump in December came after a 154,000 rise in November that was also larger than estimated. The U.S. unemployment rate remained at 4.5%.
"The economy's in pretty good shape,'' said David Resler, chief economist at Nomura Securities International Inc. in New York. "There is no likelihood of a near term change in monetary policy.''
Like Canada, the largest increase in new American jobs was in the service sector such as banking, insurance and restaurants. Manufacturers cut 12,000 jobs last month after eliminating 20,000 in November. The sector represents about 12% of U.S. economic activity.
For all of 2006, the U.S. unemployment rate dropped to a six year low of 4.6% as the economy added 1.8 million jobs. In 2005, the unemployment rate averaged5.1%. The housing slump prompted builders to eliminate 3,000 jobs after cutting 25,000 positions in the prior month. But warmer-than-normal weather in much of the country may have prompted home builders to continue projects and postpone more layoffs, said Joseph La Vorgna, chief U.S. economist at Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. in New York.
Economists had been becoming increasingly nervous that the American economy could slide into a recession this year, largely because of the slump in housing.
However, the employment statistics seem to indicate the economy, the world's largest, is more resilient than thought. The risk of a recession has now been pegged at 25% after yesterday's economic statistics.
"The data will disappoint those looking for fresh signs of a downturn and set back expectations for an about-face on monetary policy,? said Steven Wieting, managing director of economic and market analysis at Citigroup Global Markets Inc. in New York. "The underlying recovery remains intact.''
The U.S. economy grew at an annual rate of 2% in the third quarter, the slowest rate of 2006.
pmorton@nationalpost.com

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
The loonie is getting dragged around by the greenback like it doesn't have a life of its own, the labour shortage is nothing new and wages are starting to rise from the pressure. The indicator to be watching is inflation.

I don't trust US labour stats as far as I can throw them.

We're doing quite well but long-term we need to move away from our reliance on the commodities market.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
good read on that "Hey Ben! Don't Be Scared of Wage Increases!" article. great references.

My concern about inflation up here has more to do with the price of imports, although I won't be convinced "cost-push" isn't a concern until the big boys actually start coughing up some profit.

Toro

Senate Member
This time of year I'd be more interested in hearing the seasonally adjusted figures. previous years. per caps. the usual fair.

Sales employee shortages. heh. you're funny.

Actually, it may seem trite, but I have noticed that whenever I travel, you can gauge the local economy by how many job advertisements fast food joints and retailers post. For example, if restaurants have no problem hiring people, they'll advertise specials on their facings outside. If the labour market is tight, they will advertise for workers. In contrast, when I returned to Canada from England in 1991, I couldn't find a job, not even as a waiter, as unemployment was so high that even two-bit restaurants demanded lots of experience.

good read on that "Hey Ben! Don't Be Scared of Wage Increases!" article. great references.

My concern about inflation up here has more to do with the price of imports, although I won't be convinced "cost-push" isn't a concern until the big boys actually start coughing up some profit.

Thanks.

I'm surprised one would be worried about import inflation in Canada since 85% of imports come from the States and the loonie had been so strong against the greenback, at least until recently.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
85% may be a little dated. I read in passing a little while ago we've actually been diversifying, (down to low 70s or something like that), but good point. I'll bear it in mind.

We've been holding fairly steady at 85 give or take, which sounds good until you weigh in the fact the US broad dollar is back to late 90s levels.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Absolutely.

And the West should cut its farm subsidies since agriculture is one industry in which most of the emerging world has a distinct competitive advantage with the West.

that's a tough nut to crack.

I was going to ask him what makes him think we don't trade with them already. These things take time, particularly when workers in developing countries tend to be in the almost unfathomable situation of making stuff for export they can't afford to buy for themselves.

Adam Smith always assumed trade would be a matter of surplus.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Toro,

you really think costs will be absorbed rather than passed on to the consumer? I'm thinking globalism SHOULD enforce some sort of real competition but not enough.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
ITN

Hi there fella.... after reading about nine topics today I am positively tanked into depression....

Think I'll go find a happy place....like my coffee pot.....