First Muslim in Congress to use historic Quran

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16473968/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16455298/

Historic Quran
Ellison had already planned to be sworn in using a Quran, rather than a Bible. He learned last month about Jefferson's Quran, with its multicolored cover and brown leather binding, and made arrangements to borrow it.
Although the Library of Congress is right across the street from the Capitol, library officials took extra precautions in delivering the Quran for the ceremony. To protect it from the elements, they placed the Quran in a rectangular box, and handled it with a green felt wrapper once they got it inside the Capitol.
Instead of using surface streets, they walked it over via a series of winding, underground tunnels - a trip that took more than 15 minutes. Guards then ran the book through security x-ray machines at the Capitol.
The Quran was acquired in 1815 as part of a more than 6,400-volume collection that Jefferson sold for $24,000 to replace the congressional library that had been burned by British troops the year before, in the War of 1812. Jefferson, the nation's third president, was a collector of books in all topics and languages.
The book's leather binding was added in 1919. Inside, it reads, "The Koran, commonly called 'The Alcoran of Mohammed.'" Jefferson marked his ownership by writing the letter "J" next to the letter "T" that was already at the bottom of pages, according to Mark Dimunation, chief of the Library of Congress' rare book and special collections division.

Related story
Va. Congressman fears more Muslims elected

'Now it's time to get down to business'
Ellison, the first black member of Congress from Minnesota, was born in Detroit and converted to Islam in college. He said earlier this week that he chose to use this Quran because it showed that a visionary like Jefferson believed that wisdom could be gleaned from many sources.
In a brief interview Thursday on his way to a vote, Ellison suggested he had tired of the whole issue of his using the Quran.
"It was good, we did it, it's over, and now it's time to get down to business," he said.
Asked if he was relieved to have it behind him, Ellison said, "Yeah, because maybe we don't have to talk about it so much anymore. Not that I'm complaining, but the pressing issues the country is facing are just a little bit more on my mind right now."
Ellison's mother, Clida Ellison, said in an interview that she thought any controversy over her son's choice was good, "because many people in America are going to learn what the diversity of America is all about."
She described herself as a practicing Catholic.
"I go to Mass every day," she said.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Interesting precedent. The main issue is that he pledge to be a responsible member of Congress. He has. Some feathers might be ruffled but if he performs well there's little reason to complain. Given the number of Congressmen caught in scandal over the years their respect for the importance of the bible and their office is not in question.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
This is one story Ive actually kept up with. He has shown the greatest respect for his beliefs and nation. This last election has had so many firsts Im quite proud to say I participated in the process this go around.

The guy in Virginia in my opinion is a redneck reactionary that needs a class in acceptance or he needs to go back to his Klan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16311648/

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I can't believe that the representative from Va could get away with saying something like that. Here in Canada any party would immediately have him thrown out. His political career would be over.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I can't believe that the representative from Va could get away with saying something like that. Here in Canada any party would immediately have him thrown out. His political career would be over.

Yer right. Calling Americans bastards, idiots, or morally inferior is one thing, not wanting Muslims to lead is an entirely different matter. :rolleyes:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
ITN I know your being sarcastic but that congressmen needs to be sancioned in some way. His words are inflamitory and mean spirited. Having the right to free speech is one thing but bad manners is another.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
It was all playacting for the cameras folks....

Congress-people don't use the Bible or Qur'an or Torah to swear anything when taking their Oath of Office - it is usually done in a collective manner with all of them standing up in their positions and swearing a-capella.

But...this guy had to make a daring show of it with his cast of hundreds of relatives backing him up. I hope he performs as well as he orchestrated his little signing in ceremony - because with that kind of
PR - he better be able to deliver for his constituency - somehow the people expect to be represented no matter who or what you worship.

SelfActivated

I guess you haven't heard Charlie Rangel lately...he is setting some pretty wild precedents like calling Bush a s..... of a b........ (not abbreviated).... on television......anything goes these days. I find that a ridiculous slander as it merely insults Bush's mother Barbara who is a fine lady - certainly not a bitch.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I totally get it was a photo op. They all take them. I personally find him heroic in standing up for his beliefs in the day and age of witch hunts.

No I try real hard not to listen to nonscence in fact I trust Blackleaf and Bear, very few others here to bring the politics I should be paying attention to.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
SelfActivated

Of course you know it's all a "morality play" put on for the lowly people who in past times didn't know any better - the sad thing is now we all know it for what it is and yet..... it continues...... as in farce.

Politics attracts some very strange people for some even stranger reasons.

Very few of them "for the good of the people".

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I don't like this man, he's up the ass of CAIR and they want special rights above and beyond the average American. Nevermind in the history of the USA a Jew or Morman never refused to swear on a bible but this man is hailed as a hero for shunning a tradition and a custom. Get ready America his next move is to de-criminalize racial profiling, never mind that the serial killers on 911 were Arab Muslims we shant be able to refer to that now that he's sworn on a Koran which comes before a country or it's people. He's made his choice, I've made mine. I think he's going to be a puppet for CAIR, which is ten times worse than the ACLU whom are representing Men and Boys an internet site that promotes sex with male children. It's their right to say children as young as two are sexual beings, tisk tisk what is next special laws, no that's already in the works. This man is going to re-enact laws to prevent racial profiling. We all know it was old ladies flying planes into the Trade Center (the latest Bush did it tin foil club propaganda) leave those Extremist Arabs alone, how can they freely kill us Infidels if we have free speech.

Knave

Jan 3, 2007
Calgary, AB
ITN I know your being sarcastic but that congressmen needs to be sancioned in some way. His words are inflamitory and mean spirited. Having the right to free speech is one thing but bad manners is another.

Having the right to free speech also gives one a right to make as big an ass out of himself as he pleases, in public. The representative from Virginia has exercised his franchise in this regard, to the fullest.

Sanctioned against by his party? Parties in the US don't operate how they do in Canada; to my knowledge, there's no effective "whip" or other mechanisms which would accomplish that.

I think the media storm would do fine.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
It's ok Sassy - we know him for what he is....

If you enter blowing your horn too loud - we expect you to keep on a-blowin it. Doesn't give a guy time to settle down and learn the ropes if he keeps on blowing air.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Nevermind in the history of the USA a Jew or Morman never refused to swear on a bible but this man is hailed as a hero for shunning a tradition and a custom.

Correction -- Linda Lingle took the oath by the Torah when she became governor of Hawaii in 2001.

Contrary to popular belief today, there are quite a number of other pols who refused to take the oath via the Bible:

http://www.minnesotamonitor.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=842

By the way, taking an oath by God is expressly forbidden in the Bible: Matthew 5:34

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Sassy I dont know what CAIN is and I dont care if the guy is a good congressman or not. But Id be damned if I was elected congresswoman if I wouldnt take MY photo op with a Book of Shadows.