Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16389128/?GT1=8816

Reports: Saddam Hussein executed

Deposed Iraqi dictator hanged for deaths of 148 Shiites in 1982

getCSS
Slide show

Images of downfall
The path to descent of Iraq’s Saddam Hussein.

get
FREE VIDEO

A year of tumult
Take a look back at the defining moments from Iraq in 2006.
MSNBC.com

var cssList = new Array();getCSS("3053751") NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE

BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 11 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Three years after he was hauled from a hole in the ground by pursuing U.S. forces, Saddam Hussein was hanged Saturday under a sentence imposed by an Iraqi court, al-Hurra TV, al-Arabiya and Sky News TV reported.
The deposed president was found guilty over the killing of 148 members of the Shiite population of the town of Dujail after militants tried to assassinate him there in 1982, during Iraq’s war with Shiite Iran.
The official witnesses to his execution gathered Friday in Baghdad’s fortified Green Zone in final preparation for his hanging, as state television broadcast footage of his regime’s atrocities.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I wonder now, given the number of Americans who have labelled their president a mass murderer, if he'll be next.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It is amazing on two counts: he was executed and it occurred quickly.
I hate to think with the dithering World Criminal Court what will happen to the planet's bad apples once they're sentenced. The West lacks the balls to deal with evil and here Iraq, broken and under siege, is able to move up to the plate and belt one out of the park.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What I don't like about executions is it brings the State (we the people) to the same level as the murderers. Whoever participated in this event is officially no better than Hussein. All Barbarians.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Kreskin, you can't still be ladling soup from that kettle. I've always been a strong retentionist and have insisted from the get-go it is impossible to build a society of rights without the means to both enforce and defend them. incarceration is not a solution to evil. Warehousing is not an option. A state has a duty of care; if it chooses not to assume it, it shouldn't be a state.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What I don't like about executions is it brings the State (we the people) to the same level as the murderers. Whoever participated in this event is officially no better than Hussein. All Barbarians.
I used to be like that, too. I got around it by accepting that someone who murders thousands of people is subhuman and therefore not meritous of the same rights as the rest of us. Something about "just cause". So execution is not murder, IMO, it is simply execution.

Last edited: