No Homeless Allowed

kashmyre

Jun 10, 2006

Residents threaten legal action if church shelters homeless

Thu Dec 28, 5:08 PM

A Toronto church's plan to shelter a dozen homeless people once a week during the cold winter months has been met by threats of an injunction from some area residents.
Plans for the temporary shelter at St. Aidan's Anglican Church, located in the affluent Beach neighbourhood, have been put on hold after a group of neighbours threatened the church with a legal injunction.
Toronto lawyer Peter Silverberg, who represents the group of residents threatening legal action, told the Toronto Star their concerns did not stem from the "not in my backyard syndrome," but rather from the lack of consultations and questions over whether the program is the best use of resources. He refused to speak with the CBC.
The project would have been part of the Out of the Cold program, under which dozens of churches and synagogues throughout the city open their doors to provide shelter and food to the homeless.
Rev. Stephen Kirkegaard, the Silver Birch Avenue church's priest, defended the plan as a small project with the potential to save lives.
"It's just 12 people. The police are saying it's safe," said Kirkegaard. "The homeless are people like ourselves. They're just people that fell through the cracks and we can make a difference."
Kirkegaard said the church's plan was to provide shelter for up to a dozen homeless people every Monday during the coldest winter months.
More than 100 people have offered to volunteer so far and others have donated money, Kirkegaard says.
A meeting has been scheduled for concerned residents and the church on Jan. 16 to discuss details of the plan.
Coun. Sandra Bussin, who represents the area and helped set up the meeting, said she believes those living near the church are worried about the people coming and going to the church in the middle of the night.
But she says lack of information might be part of the problem.
"The way this was presented was perhaps done too quickly, without really giving sufficient information," said Bussin.
The church's plans to house the homeless have been delayed until they can be discussed at the meeting.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
The old "Not in my Neighbourhood" brigade, must be Liberals they like to beat the drum of help the homeless during elections and then ignore them or put them in prison. The Cons are honest because they ignore the homeless and the mentally ill and the poor, and the old and infirm and the terminally ill. If the Liberals (red) and the Cons (blue) joined forces they'd make a hella of a "Bruise" on Canada and it's people.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
People dont realize that if you're wealthy you are lucky. You could just as easily have been homeless. Some people get lucky breaks, some just get the breaks.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Aside from the negative news, it really is nice to hear that a church is ACTUALLY doing something for the homeless, or at least trying. Good for them!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
These folks certainly aren't Christians as the Bible commands housing of the homeless in Matthew 25:35 --

when I was a stranger, thou took me in ...

Those who fail to do so will be "cursed unto everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" {verse 41}.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As I said in sanctus's post of the same story...

I'm torn between the passions of a home owner and the feeling of compassion for the fallen and down trodden. I feel for those that need the assistance and shelter, but I can not shake the fears of the community.

How are we to balance such feelings?

How do you feel safe and secure in your castle, feet from were people that may or may not have your best interests at heart?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm sure the property owners aren't brutes. They're reacting to the knowledge such a set-up will mean to their community: more crime, litter, vagrancy. Sometimes self-interest is a smart thing.
Reminds me of the reaction of area residents to new groups homes for young offenders or halfway houses for their older peers. Such things increase risk to a community. That can't be disputed. Do those living in such neighbourhoods have the right to defend their basic interests?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
The public have an idea of homeless people as bums who steel. Sometimes they are hard done by people who can’t get a job. Sometimes they're mentally ill who won’t take their medicine. People want them off the streets, but where do they go? No one wants to pay taxes for shelters or hospitals. No one wants them in there neighborhoods. What do you do? Put them in Nazi death camps?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The public have an idea of homeless people as bums who steel. Sometimes they are hard done by people who can’t get a job. Sometimes they're mentally ill who won’t take their medicine. People want them off the streets, but where do they go? No one wants to pay taxes for shelters or hospitals. No one wants them in there neighborhoods. What do you do? Put them in Nazi death camps?
I see people post anti Native spending propoganda here in adnausium, yet the homelessness industry is largely ignored.

In Tdot, the homeless industry is a multi million dollar business, these activist do not want to see justice excercised, they want to keep the status quo. To ensure a prospurous future for themselves.

I personally see most of them for what they are, scum bags. Yes I agree that many are mentally ill and I feel for them. But the asshats I see most often are the ones that sratched the paint on my brand new truck as they clammer to spew whatever filthy water they could dreg up on my wind shield, to earn only my contempt. Then fip me off for my troubles.

If people are so worried about the truly mentally ill, homeless. Then allow the authorities to help them, by force if necessary. Why is it not right to force someone to take their meds, but it is ok for that person to suffer and die alone, from hypothermia?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Yes, there are those teenagers who run away from home because they don’t want to get a job, or daddy didn't loan them the car. But there are those in need, and that shouldn't be dismissed because of a few, or large amount, of lazy people. Taxes should be spent wisely. Allot to ask for, I know. But to clean up the streets we have to have a place to put these homeless people. The truly needy, not the lazy.
I've been asked for change by kids wearing Doc Martins and leather jackets. There clothes cost more then mine! They have tattoos and body piercing! That cost money! Also, I don’t like it when homeless people use dogs as a way to gain sympathy. I'll hand them dog kibble before I give them money.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I don't see what right the homeowners have to tell the church what to do in the church.

Can the Church dictate to them who they are allowed to let sleep over with them?

"Sorry Mr.Douglas, the church doesn't approve of you letting your gay brother stay the holidays with you, they will file an injuction if he stays with you".