Pennsylvania Town Might Require Guns For All Residents

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Hey, if it helps prevent home invasions and burglaries, I'm all for it. I recall a small town in Georgia has a similar law.

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A tiny town in western Pennsylvania could ask all of its residents to own guns, if a proposal under consideration on Wednesday wins approval from local officials.

Here's a link to the rest of the story ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/us_nm/usa_guns_dc

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
My bro stopped for lunch in West Virginia and the county there had a bylaw where all males over 16 must own a gun. I can't imagine a stupider law. We need less guns not more. I am so glad I live in Canada. I turned down a job in Texas because I would never live in the states. I am ex-military and many of my friends hunt and I still can not fathom owning a gun for "protection". A 9mm handgun is absolutelt stupid to have for self defense. They can go through many many layers of plywood and drywall to kill your sleeping child after passing through the bad guy. If you must, get a shotgun, lightly loaded with light shot, for home protection.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The proposed rule appears to be prescriptive and does not necessarily mandate handguns as opposed to rifles which are generally held to be safer for homes with children.

Here in Minnesota, most of our communities have low crime rates. Yet, we have a very high rate of rifle ownership (the actual number of rifles owned is not known as registration is not needed for rifles). I don't own any but am a past member of the NRA and fully support the constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
My bro stopped for lunch in West Virginia and the county there had a bylaw where all males over 16 must own a gun. I can't imagine a stupider law. We need less guns not more. I am so glad I live in Canada. I turned down a job in Texas because I would never live in the states. I am ex-military and many of my friends hunt and I still can not fathom owning a gun for "protection". A 9mm handgun is absolutelt stupid to have for self defense. They can go through many many layers of plywood and drywall to kill your sleeping child after passing through the bad guy. If you must, get a shotgun, lightly loaded with light shot, for home protection.

I have never understood the cowboy mentality that so many Americans seem to exist under. This ideology that owning a gun is some sort of sacred law is beyond my comprehension.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
I currently live in the shooting gallery that is south Florida. The American infatuation with guns makes it the most violent first world country there is, with the school/workplace shooting of the month to go along with that.

Hunting rifles are one thing, for those that actually hunt. The proliferation of hand guns down here is insane. They are good for only one thing, killing people. Less guns = less violence.