Americans and British give most money to good causes

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
BRITISH AND AMERICANS GIVE MORE TO GOOD CAUSES THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRY

Brits gave 0.73% of the country's GDP to good causes, second only to the United States which is WAY out in front. They gave 1.67% of the US GDP to good causes.

The People

3 December 2006

WE DO BRIT FOR CHARITY

Selfish: The French

GENEROUS Brits are FIVE times more likely to give to charity than the stingy French - and THREE times more than Germans.

We handed £708million to good causes such as the Asian Tsunami in 2004/5. That put us second in a poll of 12 countries for the Charities Aid Foundation.

Overall we donated 0.73per cent of the UK's gross domestic product - compared to 1.67 per cent in the US.

people.co.uk

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
now is there any data comparing how much damage the various countries do?

it would be interesting to see if the countries that give the most also have taken the most, for example.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Good point Caracal, I'd also like to know how much the individual contributions of the philanthropists add to that figure.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
now is there any data comparing how much damage the various countries do?

it would be interesting to see if the countries that give the most also have taken the most, for example.

What has always interested me about the Americans in particular is their "two sides of the coin " approach to the world. They will go to war with a country, totally devastating it with their overwhelming military might. After they win, they will turn around and spend a bi-zillion dollars to restore that same country. Very unusual behaviour.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Isn't it about time you gave this British/American PR stuff a rest Blackleaf?.....seriously?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
The brits brain is too stuffy to realize that....

I am British Hotshot.....

But in the end, even I'm growing rather tired of this constant Pro-British PR Machine that is Blackleaf and whoever else, this is a Canadian board after all.

Not that I dislike my country, but I don't ALWAYS like to bang on about it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I haven't found your 60 billion figures yet but these are a bit higher.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]* Total U.S. GDP = $10.4 trillion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* U.S. Federal spending = $2.16 trillion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] government foreign aid = $16.3 billion [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* private contributions by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] citizens to poor nations = $6.6 billion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* total private charity by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] citizens, including contributions to religious groups = $241 billion[/FONT]

http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~wbriggs/qr/newsletter_tsunami.html

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I haven't found your 60 billion figures yet but these are a bit higher.

[FONT=&quot]* Total U.S. GDP = $10.4 trillion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* U.S. Federal spending = $2.16 trillion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] government foreign aid = $16.3 billion [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* private contributions by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] citizens to poor nations = $6.6 billion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* total private charity by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] citizens, including contributions to religious groups = $241 billion[/FONT]

http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~wbriggs/qr/newsletter_tsunami.html

http://www.hudson.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=publication_details&id=3712

U.S. Private International Giving to Developing World Exceeds $62 Billion

Hudson Institute released new private international giving numbers today in a white paper, "America's Total Economic Engagement with the Developing World," by Dr. Carol Adelman, Mr. Jeremiah Norris and Ms. Jeanne Weicher. Updating their research on American generosity, the authors found at least $62.1 billion in U.S. private donations to developing countries in 2003, the last year numbers are available. This philanthropy, from U.S. foundations, corporations, non-profits and volunteerism, universities and colleges, religious organizations and individuals is over three and one-half times U.S. Official Development Assistance (ODA) of $16.3 billion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sorry about that. They obviously slipped a cog in their math somewhere.