Aljazeera nonsense

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
According to Sheikha Sajida, Female genital mutilation is comparable to body piercing in the west, arguing that they are both desecrations of the female body... she failed to state that body piercing is a choice one makes, unlike FGM.

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/article_full_story.asp?service_ID=12809

Respect for women’s bodies; between female circumcision and body piercing! 11/27/2006 11:30:00 AM GMT
http://cuba.alclick.com/adview.php?what=zone:13&n=a4fc5beb
Dear readers,
The recent conference in Egypt and the debate that followed it about Female Genital Mutilation and how rampant or not it is in Muslims societies and whether it should be banned or not brought to my mind how this practice, which I stress has no link to Islam, resembles body piercing, which many doctors, not just religious figures, discourage.
Body piercing has been identified by the National Institutes of Health in the U.S. as a possible vehicle for transmission of hepatitis B, C, D and G, and HIV. So it’s not less harmful than female circumcision, which Western human rights activists have been busying themselves criticising in recent years, and falsely referring to it as an Islamic tradition.
What’s common between the two practices is that both are different forms of desecration of the human body.
Both FGM, still practiced in some African countries by both Muslims and non-Muslims alike, and body piercing, which is growing among young people especially in Europe and America, should be avoided.
Islamic law does not mandate FGM and tolerates only the most mild form of circumcision. While body piercing has been warned against by most religious figures even in the West as well as medical professionals for the danger it poses to the human body, including bleeding, nerve damage or infection. Statistics also proved that piercing lead in many cases to infection.
Those who undergo body piercing, piercing their bodies in stranger and stranger places - in the mouth, on their navels, through cheeks and even in the genitals, consider it a form of body art and self-expression, and those who circumcise their daughters, in highly secretive rituals, believe it prevents promiscuous behaviour- But God has warned, in both Christianity and Islam, against changing or humiliating his creation.
Examples in Islam:
“It is Allah Who has made for you the earth as a resting place and the sky as a canopy, and has given you shape- and made your shapes beautiful” – Qur’an 40:64
“Our Sustainer! Thou hast not created (any of) this in vain” – Qur’an 3:191
Examples in Christianity:
"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Cor. 3:16-17).
Our care and respect for our body prescribe that we avoid what puts it in danger.
Sheikha Sajida,
The Sheikha can be reached via e-mail at Content@Aljazeera.com

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think body piercing is a bit silly but to each his/her own. After being served by a waitress with lips, nose, and tongue pierced, I can only guess what else she might have had pierced, but I really don't want to know. Having said that, the comparison to FGM is nonsense. Not even in the same league.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
True. FGM is abuse. It's done so women will not enjoy sex. Piercing is sometimes done to increase pleasure. I find body piercing unattractive myself, but it's a choice.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Both practices are primitive and should be discouraged. And both represent oppression: FGM from one's culture, and piercing from celebrity icons and one's peers. I've seen some girls with thirty holes in their heads. I don't think this reflects personal choice.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
The thought of doing either or to my body makes me cringe in pain. The article is an attempt to justify FGM by alluding that it's not harmful or painful, poppy cock it's a brutal way to control a females sexuality or lack there of.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The thought of doing either or to my body makes me cringe in pain. The article is an attempt to justify FGM by alluding that it's not harmful or painful, poppy cock it's a brutal way to control a females sexuality or lack there of.

That FGM is nonsense. Still, something has to be done about the nose ring business. Sassy, any chance you can talk some sense into those girls out there?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm probably wrong but I would have thought that the first bad head cold, would have cured the nose rings. I son't even want to think about lip rings and tongue rings...etc...:?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm probably wrong but I would have thought that the first bad head cold, would have cured the nose rings. I son't even want to think about lip rings and tongue rings...etc...:?

I believe they have rings for "Mr Happy". When hell freezes over I'll get one.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think the comparison is wrong, but I disagree that it's an attempt to justify FGM. This woman clearly says FGM is wrong and a desecration of a woman's body. Desecration is pretty clearly negative to me.

I find body piercing wierd, but it doesn't bother me like FGM.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Theres plenty of cultures where piercing is normal. I see nothing wrong with it, not my cup o tea though. FGM on the other hand is a truly reprehensible action. Totally disgusting.

Kind of off the topic, but still relevant, how do you all feel about circumcision?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Theres plenty of cultures where piercing is normal. I see nothing wrong with it, not my cup o tea though. FGM on the other hand is a truly reprehensible action. Totally disgusting.

Kind of off the topic, but still relevant, how do you all feel about circumcision?

You mean male circumcision? I am personally opposed (won't participate in them at work even), but they are legal and I don't hold any judgements against parents who choose it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Body piercing creeps me out has anyone else seen Kink on Show Case. Holy Hanna one fella hangs suspended from the ceiling he has hooks attached to his nipple rings. I won't mention where the falcom hook was, for balance. Look at the fellas cringing, yep you guys guessed it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Body piercing creeps me out has anyone else seen Kink on Show Case. Holy Hanna one fella hangs suspended from the ceiling he has hooks attached to his nipple rings. I won't mention where the falcom hook was, for balance. Look at the fellas cringing, yep you guys guessed it.

I didn't see it. Was it the same show that the nice lady pulled the guy's skin through the plywood and nailed it in place? What on God's green Earth would prompt that to happen?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
LOL I must of missed that episode, Kink is the freakest show on TV hell it's full of scary freaks it's like a car crash I don't want to look but I have to.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You mean male circumcision? I am personally opposed (won't participate in them at work even), but they are legal and I don't hold any judgements against parents who choose it.

I don't know. The foreskin was put there by evolution over a hell of a long time. Is it wise to cut it off? I doubt it. Leaving it on can't be bad for us.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Our appendix was also put there over a hell of a long time. Sometimes removing it is a life saving procedure.

One version of FGM known as a clitoridotomy is no more harmful than male circumcision or body piercing. This version of FGM doesn't impair body function and when done under sterile conditions is about as safe as other forms of legal mutilations such as ear piercings.

However more radical versions of FGM are harmful.

I'm against mutilations in general, but I fail to see the logic in criminalizing one type of mutilation but allowing another equivalent level of mutilation just because its foreign to our culture. Seems like a form of cultural intolerance to me.

That said, under all circumstances the individual must consent. Under 16 the parents must also consent. Since children under 6 are unable to have criminal intent, they are also to young to consent. I am against mutilating children under 6 under all circumstances whether it is a clitoridotomy or male circumcision.