Fasting Muslim man jailed for killing and eating a swan

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A Muslim man, who was fasting during Ramadan, has been jailed for two months for killing a swan. All swans in Great Britain belong to the Monarch.

When told of this , Shamshu Miah said "I hate the Queen. I hate this country."

So why the hell did he choose to live here?
----------------------------------------------------------

Hungry man who killed swan jailed

Miah told the court he needed to eat

A man who claimed he killed a swan because he was hungry on the second day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan has been jailed for two months.

However, Shamshu Miah, 52, from Llandudno was released because of the time he has already spent in custody.

He admitted intentionally killing a wild bird at Llandudno boating pool and possessing a kitchen knife in public.

District judge Andrew Shaw sitting at the town's magistrates court said it was a "cruel and reprehensible act".

"You killed the swan at night. It was a cruel and reprehensible act. I don't know exactly how the animal died. There seems to be speculation you may have bitten it."

'Taboo act'
However, the judge said he had to accept Miah's version that he killed it with a knife.

The court heard that when he was challenged by police he told them: "I am a Muslim, I am fasting, I needed to eat."

Due to an ancient and eccentric law, all swans in Great Britain are owned by the Monarch. The swan that Miah killed belonged to the Queen.

Jim Neary, prosecuting, said: "When interviewed he said, 'I was hungry, I had to eat the swan so I killed it, I stabbed it. I did nothing wrong, it was just a bird, I needed to eat.'"

"The officers told him the swan was the property of the Queen and he replied, 'I hate the Queen, I hate this country.'"

Judge Shaw added: "It's a taboo act and the only sentence that is appropriate is imprisonment."

Police were alerted by a householder.

The court heard a community mental health team was anxious to help Miah, who had been going through a period of instability, according to his solicitor. He had no previous convictions.
--------------------------------------------------

"SWAN UPPING" AND THE ROYAL OWNERSHIP OF ALL SWANS

Swan Upping is an annual ceremonial and practical activity in England in which mute swans on the River Thames are rounded up, caught, marked, and then released.

Traditionally, the Monarch of the United Kingdom owns all unmarked mute swans on the River Thames. This dates from the 12th century, during which swans were a common food source for royalty. Swan upping is a means of establishing a swan census. Under a Royal Charter of the 15th century, the Vintners' Company and the Dyers' Company, two Livery Companies of the City of London, are entitled to share in the Sovereign's ownership. They conduct the census through a process of ringing the swan's feet, but the swans are no longer eaten.

Swan upping (a ceremony of typical British eccentricity) occurs annually during the third week of July. During the ceremony, the Queen's, the Vintners', and the Dyers' Swan Uppers row up the river in skiffs. Swans caught by the Queen's Swan Uppers under the direction of the Swan Marker remain unmarked, those caught by the Dyers' are ringed on one leg, and those caught by the Vintners are ringed on both legs. Originally, rather than being ringed, the swans would be marked on the bill — a practice commemorated in the British pub name The Swan with Two Necks, a corruption of the term "The Swan with Two Nicks".

------------------------------------------

The annual swan upping ceremony on the River Thames

The three boats - the Queen's Swan Uppers, the Vintners' Swan Uppers and the Dyers' Swan Uppers, sail up the Thames. Those swans caught by the men of the Monarch are unmarked; those by the Dyers are ringed on one leg; those by the Vintners are ringed on both legs.

The Vintners Company skiff. Note the Swan feather in the cox's cap.

wikipedia.org

Last edited:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
See, I thought that for a while, nah it's heavily punichable, suprised, with the type of law it is, it's not applicable in Canada too. Although I think we completly abandoned the death penalty (even for treason) in 1998

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Demonstrates how backwoods the brits are, doesn't it?

"Backwards" what?, in banning the death penalty for everything?....or the Swan business, it's well known, it's ancient, and who'd wanna harm such a graceful bird anyway?...savages

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I could be wrong, but I remember being told that fishing or hunting on Crown reserves and killing or poaching Crown stocks, as wildlife on said reserves, was actually still punishable by death. Only because it was not up to Parliment, but rather it was a Crown law, that Parliment could not change.

Or that a$$hole Range Officer could have been lying his a$$ off, just to mess with us, lol. That seems reasonable too.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I could be wrong, but I remember being told that fishing or hunting on Crown reserves and killing or poaching Crown stocks, as wildlife on said reserves, was actually still punishable by death. Only because it was not up to Parliment, but rather it was a Crown law, that Parliment could not change.

Or that a$$hole Range Officer could have been lying his a$$ off, just to mess with us, lol. That seems reasonable too.

I think he was probably lying to you.

I seem to recall reading a Rhoald Dahl book call "Henry Sugar & six other stories", one of them was called "the swan", effectivley the swan story (from what I suspect anyway) is a metathor for the usless and unfounded killing of young men by generals in wartime...ahem....but apart from this, it mentions (when it was written circa 1970's) that the most you'd get is 5 years in jail for killing a swan.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"Backwards" what?, in banning the death penalty for everything?....or the Swan business, it's well known, it's ancient, and who'd wanna harm such a graceful bird anyway?...savages

the swan business. "it's ancient": exactly. The idea that a "monarch" holds every swan as property is rediculous! The laws need to be routinely cleansed to remove outdated statutes. Try the guy for killing something because you have a life protection law, not a posession law.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
the swan business. "it's ancient": exactly. The idea that a "monarch" holds every swan as property is rediculous! The laws need to be routinely cleansed to remove outdated statutes. Try the guy for killing something because you have a life protection law, not a posession law.

Some things are good to keep, the same law protects the oldest forest in the UK (right outside my doorstep actually), oh the government could change it....but considering Swans have never been much into over-breeding, why bother?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Caracal Kid is questioning the swans (all of them, anywhere) being "owned" by the monarch as an outdated law. Haven't you ever heard of protected species?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Caracal Kid is questioning the swans (all of them, anywhere) being "owned" by the monarch as an outdated law. Haven't you ever heard of protected species?

We have "protected species", Britain came up with Animal rights before child rights....which should be more worrying, they're protected by the RSPCA, but it's just something old, you know, we like tradition.....they don't really own them you know.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Yes I know you like monarchial traditions, I have never had my question answered though. At which point in the past did it become tradition? Before or after monarchs in the UK ruled with an iron hand?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Yes I know you like monarchial traditions, I have never had my question answered though. At which point in the past did it become tradition? Before or after monarchs in the UK ruled with an iron hand?

Legend has it that Henry the 8th liked swans so much he forbid anyone from touching them (apart from him of course)....it's not been changed. Why bother?...why on earth would any sane person wanna touch em any way?.

The government has also passed laws on them, but out of respect of history, it's always brought up that the old-wife-head-chopper banned em....

We like tradition, thats all....but murdering a swan, thats very insulting, the islamist must have known
how the public feel about it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
This sounds more like a case for a Mental Health Pro not the cops, I kinda feel sorry for the guy, did he eat raw or did he cook it?