Is anyone responsible for their own actions anymore?

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
A federal judge agreed with a Tampa executive’s claim that the antidepressant Paxil prompted him to embezzle $1.8 million from a former employer. U.S. District Judge James Moody Jr. sentenced Patrick Henry Stewart, 42, to a year of home confinement and five years’ probation.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...28513.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

If this is all you get for this kind of stunt, I expect Paxil's sales are about to go way up..I'd stay at home for a year for two million $$..

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In short, no.

Unfortunetly the culture of deflection is rampant. It is a virus that lawyers love. "He had a tuff childhood", "his mom was a drug addict" and so on.

I used to think my lawyer was good, but in hind site, he sucked. I had a ruff childhood, abandoned by my parents, forced to cut cords of wood in the fall, cut my own switch, if I did wrong, got beat up by the Native kids cause I was light skinned, got beat up by the white kids cause my skin was dark and I got off the Native bus at school, blah blah blah blah blah. All that and a buck still won't buy you a timmies xlarge triple triple.

It is high time people paid in full for their actions. Barring SERIOUS mental illness, nothing should prevent people from paying for their crimes.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I can't personally claim that all experiences are the same from Paxil, but I took it for a short period of time. Turns out I didn't need it. It made me dull, much like a rock. Thinking back it was kinda like the Pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb, except I didn't feel that comfortable, more like a zombie (without the craving for flesh, haha). Also there were some less than pleasant side effects that I didn't really like at all.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
We see the culture of deflection in government too. Whenever anyone questions the Tories on anything they deflect it by saying "it was the Liberals who screwed up". I guess no one is responsible anymore.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
The ole drugs made me do it plea, sure it did cough cough. Yep god forbid we stand up and say I did it and I'm sorry please forgive me. Nope it's the dog's fault, the governments fault or Bush's fault if you are really stuck for an excuse for the inexcuseable.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We see the culture of deflection in government too. Whenever anyone questions the Tories on anything they deflect it by saying "it was the Liberals who screwed up". I guess no one is responsible anymore.
Hey I do that!

But I will still hold the Tories to task on the issues. I might not always come across as moderate, but I am. I have no love for either party, I just wanted a regime change.

What do you think of the hypocracy though, when parties or party supporters, point fingers at each other, when they themselves have been guilty of equal or greater crimes?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I think when a party is in power they should be held accountable, not the previous party. It's up to the tories now to do something, not constantly point the finger at the last party. It's funny, the hypocracy of leaders. I remember when everyone wanted to hang Clinton for being a bad husband. Then a Republican, who was after Clintons blood, was caught cheating on his wife. He stepped down and said "I hope Clinton will follow my example and resign". Yeah, only when your caught!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think when a party is in power they should be held accountable, not the previous party. It's up to the tories now to do something, not constantly point the finger at the last party. It's funny, the hypocracy of leaders. I remember when everyone wanted to hang Clinton for being a bad husband. Then a Republican, who was after Clintons blood, was caught cheating on his wife. He stepped down and said "I hope Clinton will follow my example and resign". Yeah, only when your caught!
I'm wondering if all politicians take Paxil?
That way they wouldn't be responsible for their actions.
I'm sure they have shares in whatever company makes it. lol.