1. First generation consoles are notorious for their bugs. Those who use them are often seen as the 'public beta' testers. Look last year at the 360 Live and how many people took home duds - guess how quickly you'll be able to get it replaced.
2. There is a very limited supply of games available now.
3. There is clearly a very limited supply of systems available now. After Christmas, there will many, many more. It is called supply and demand.
4. The system will drop in price when the Wii begins outselling it 5:1.
5. 99.9% of people do not need an HDMI or Blu-ray disc reader or any of the other fancy stuff on the PS3. The actual difference in quality of gaming to a PS2 has been described by many as 'minimal'.
6. The system is already showing that it cannot handle a large number of older PS2 and PS games.
7. People are funny, funny, stupid creatures. Makes me wish I was still working at the electronics store to take all the good times in.