American killed in Halifax Bar fight

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ah but Tonington

Think of the Joy - the Shadenfreude - it gave the CBC News Room!!!

Those Cheesy 'Mericans

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
thanks curiosity...

now I can imagine a group of people dancing around singing "we got one, we got one, we got one...."

or is it...

"300 million americans to go, 300 million americans. take one out, and stab it about. 299 999 999 americans to go"

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
thanks curiosity...

now I can imagine a group of people dancing around singing "we got one, we got one, we got one...."

or is it...

"300 million americans to go, 300 million americans. take one out, and stab it about. 299 999 999 americans to go"
I can see a little #$@! like you doing something just like that..

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
My guess is that it had nothing to do with politics and more to do with some serviceman hitting on some guys girlfriend. Military bucks getting into fights in clubs is nothing new. This one just happened to take a fatal turn.

Walrus

Nominee Member
Mar 20, 2005
Victoria
You know, the unfortunate thing is that the chances of something like this happening make it inevitable. I'm in the Canadian Navy and have been in many foreign ports where something like this could have happened. Fortunately, I've never been in the situation. Many fellow sailors have been robbed and beaten but none have been killed that I have been aware of. When you put several hundred, and in some cases thousands, of young men together where they have the opportunity to release their emotions without the restraint they are subjected to on board a ship, the situation arises where something catastrophic can happen. Is it more likely to happen to American sailors because of anti-American animosity? I doubt it - Candian sailors posted to Stadacona in Halifax are subjected to the same risks. The biggest difference is that our boys are aware of the dangers and most avoid the risks. A good number still get robbed and beaten by the local thugs. If you know Halifax like I know that city, you know what to avoid and take the proper precautions. Foreign sailors do not have the same advantages and will not avoid confrontations as easily as our boys would simply because of familiarity. Don't be lulled into a sense that it can't happen because this is Canada and we don't do that sort of thing. People get killed in Canada just as easily as in any other country and if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time the odds get even higher. This is just a very unfortunate event and the people who are responsible should face the full weight of the law. Hopefully we are not embarrassed by a failure of our system of justice allowing the people responsible for his death to get off without punishment - that would be a greater problem than the actual killing in the first place.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My husband was in the U.S. Navy as a career man - he visited hundreds of ports of call and had many Canadian Navy friendships too which made me kinda proud.....

He learned from his mentors when he was coming up through the service: Unless you are on a U.S. property - two beer limit - and go home.

He never had trouble except sometimes not liking the beer but drinking it down anyway - made some friendships - enjoyed meeting people from other places - even though they would be into their "cups" after a while. He came home with a ton of stories to tell us.

Generally there is comraderie among service people -

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Did the patron (person charged) bring a knife to the bar? If so it says something about his character.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In all fairness, I have met 100's of US servicemen and women. From time to time, some can be quite ummmm, well, ummm...Arrogant. I'm not saying that this seaman deserved it. I have not got all the facts as of yet. But sometimes they take things to an extreme, thus creating situations like bar brawls and such.

Been there done that, got blood on my BDU's.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
You have got to be kidding. Regardless of bias, you can't actually think that members of the CBC news teams would be cheering the death of anyone. Can you?

YES!! Ok not right out loud but they constantely show their resentful bias towards the U.S. From openly asking if the U.S. deserved 9/11 (like those office workers or their families deserved anything besides a paycheck for being there.) To Rick Mercier's "Talking to Americans" (bet if you ask arround Toronto your get the same dumb ass answers from Canadians)

I'd love to see the Canadian reaction if we heard the same from them....

This is tragic that some young men are hurt and killed because they want to have a bit of fun....but that's as far as it goes...It continually happens but the attention is paid to it since this case can be used for another cause....If this were 2 Indian's in Winnipeg, you would not even have heard about it out side of the local broadcast!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ah but Tonington

Think of the Joy - the Shadenfreude - it gave the CBC News Room!!!

Those Cheesy 'Mericans

That is completely over the top. Nobody would be happy over the death of a soldier. It is particularly sad when it completely unnecessary. The biggest single factor in this unfortunate incident is probably booze.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
YES!! Ok not right out loud but they constantely show their resentful bias towards the U.S. From openly asking if the U.S. deserved 9/11 (like those office workers or their families deserved anything besides a paycheck for being there.) To Rick Mercier's "Talking to Americans" (bet if you ask arround Toronto your get the same dumb ass answers from Canadians)

I'd love to see the Canadian reaction if we heard the same from them....

This is tragic that some young men are hurt and killed because they want to have a bit of fun....but that's as far as it goes...It continually happens but the attention is paid to it since this case can be used for another cause....If this were 2 Indian's in Winnipeg, you would not even have heard about it out side of the local broadcast!!

OttawaBill

Thank you for "getting" the sarcasm of my post....there is a fine line between an all-out ideological war between the two nations. I read these forums and what people write and wonder where we are all going with this stuff.

Sailors are famous for fighting when they are drunk.... but killing each other? There's more to the report than national pride...

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
On the Nation front..I've alway found it odd that the closest in common nations have the most problems with each other..Ireland/England/Scotland..Pakistan/India Canada/U.S., Maybe it's because we can understand the differences so well??? Funny most of the world sees no great difference between us and them..calling us north Americans period!!

On the other end....What is wrong with us all, that weapons are constantly brought to bars and nightclubs. There has alway been fights, it's the nature of too many people getting drunk in a hyped enviroment..but brings a knive or gun before you have touched a drop??

Crazy!! Hmm...ok lets go to the club....styled my hair... put on my sexy shirt..so the chic's notice, spray on some Axe to drive them wild ok..set..no wait..forgot my gun..don't waana be doing that...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
OttawaBill

That makes much sense - if people are hoping to hook up - they don't want to be embarrassed by an insult and if they have crossed the line into "boozedom" their resistance to fighting is low - right at the surface.

I think some guys after having a bad day go to a bar purposely to argue - and yes fight with words - but this business of going up against an armed man (unless he is a bouncer).... is inviting trouble.

Two things against my commenting here: I'm not a guy and have yet to understand them anyway.... and
I am basically a coward when I am near physical violence of any kind.... I'm the first one out the door.

It's a damn shame whatever - a guy cut down for a stupid reason - and I wonder if the fella who killed him even remembers what it was about.