Yankee Pitcher crashes plane into NY highrise

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
I couldn't believe it when I heard about this on another forum I go to. A woman from NY was saying that there were fighter jets all over. I turned CNN on right away. At that time they had no idea what was going on but they were telling everyone it wasn't terrorist attack.

Sure made me stop and think. 9-11 has changed us all, forever.

Prayers to the baseball player's family from here ... and a thanks to whatever was watching over the folks in that apartment who made a narrow escape!

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
I think the airplane into a buiding thing has been done to death by now. We need,
we crave, we DEMAND another, class of colliding objects to inspire us.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I don't know what caused it, but I think they give celebrities and sports athletes piloting licenses too easily. It's an ego thing for them to take there buddies out in a plane.
May God save us all if Paris Hilton ever gets her piloting license!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
ummmm....anyone can get a pilot's license, you have to have the desire, the time, and the money. my 17 year old nephew got his last year. although since he did it through air cadets, it didn't cost too much.

as far as flying over nycity goes, helicopters and small planes fly over the city all the time. sounds like this one was a fuel problem.

MattUK

Electoral Member
Aug 11, 2006
UK
Yeah, half my family have a private pilots licence. Plus the article said that the pitcher was out with his instructor making me think that he was still learning to fly. Dont know about the states, but I had to fly over 45 hours before I could get my licence, and pass a load of exams.

And at present, I am restricted to day time flying only as I am colourblind. I have to go and pass another test to prove I can tell different colours apart!

Just a freak accident...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In the video, it appeared that the plane was barely in control. The airplane seemed to fly around the corner of the building and then right into the face of the building. Stall recovery can be fun when you are at altitude with no obstructions. In the middle of New York, at a relatively low altitude, it would have been a nightmare.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
From what I heard, that is an extremely dangerous path ... very narrow, low altitude, tons of traffic. Plus the ceiling was something like 1300 feet when he took off. That's low, even if you're flying low. Doesn't give you much room to even go upward and since that's a corridor where they use visual rather than instruments, sounds to me like a bad day to go up.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
plane crash

:(Can't you just hear all the nasty jokes about this one?

Fly ball..............

Shortstop...........

Sad, really.

Ugg.

PS: Durka; George wasen't responsible, but he was still reading the "goat story".......see his lips move:rolleyes:

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I wonder if it was an Accident? If he was having engine trouble why not ditch in water, why was he in such a populated area?? Oh yes Bush was sending him electromagnetic pulses, thats it of course.