Tim Hortons relents, workers join 'Red Friday'

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
Some Tim Hortons employees almost didn't get to join other Canadians Friday in wearing red to support Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

More...

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Tim horton needs to be accountable

Wont let employees wear red for supporting our troops but will cashin on the coffee buying ,Tim hortons has lost my bussiness ,its not only that issue ,the cups are major stress on the enviroment and the drive thur is a CO2 nightmare ,come on people ,timhortons created the enviroment ,fix it ,dont blame the consumers,the company needs to get to heart of the matter ,you promote and encourge the most wastefulness ,I will not give one penny to that company again -I bet one day sales in Ottawa proved that canadians are feed up with Timmys lack of respect --Canadian values !dont want to offend others ,we will see when its the miltary protecting your stupid stores --your so worried about the almight buck instead of the country that made you and I might add can just as easily thwart you ,Im tired of billion dollar profits and lack of respect ,

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Yeah, not only are their cups harmful to the environment and not only are they playing the politics of hypocricy but their coffee and awful!

fxd_tig

Oct 3, 2006
Tim Hortons has lost my business and I agree... they have turned their backs on the country that made them. I also say "Tim Hortons beware about going south of the border... we Americans support our troops." If Canadians send Timmy a message each Friday and buy their coffee and donuts elsewhere then Fridays would become a real red day for Tim Hortons.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
hang on guys. the article was that they changed their minds in the end and the employees WERE allowed in the end. And i happen to like the coffee

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The evils of a business that is popular...we must put an end to it. The only businesses that should be allowed to survive are those that are not popular or successful. We must do our duty and put an end to anything that the general public likes, because we know better.

As soon as this site becomes more popular, we must turn against it and have it banned, as well.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
hahaha unless the idea becomes popular before the website does, in which case we'll all have to rebel against the idea of reblling against popular things

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
its about being a responsible bussiness I once thought Timmys with its camp and what not was a wonderful Canadain institution but the problems the bussiness is creating and not taking responsibility for is unacceptable ,the red friday thing should have been already dissussed in thier boardrooms ,and if it was and the decision was not to hurt our customers ,that shows money talks ,until they realized it was costing them profits they did not budge ! but once sales dropped ,the tunes changed --Too late

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
hang on guys. the article was that they changed their minds in the end and the employees WERE allowed in the end. And i happen to like the coffee

The point is, it wasn't automatice, they had to be coerced into allowing it. That is the issue. If Tim Horton was alive, what do you think he would have done?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The evils of a business that is popular...we must put an end to it. The only businesses that should be allowed to survive are those that are not popular or successful. We must do our duty and put an end to anything that the general public likes, because we know better.

As soon as this site becomes more popular, we must turn against it and have it banned, as well.

What an endearingly Liberal tone in that comment.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Since when did "our troops overseas" constitute the whole of Canada?

During WW I and WWII (LWF), the sentiment that all the men and women, serving our Nation overseas, were considered the sons and daughters of our Nation, was common place. Therefore, if you turn your back on our sons and daughters, you turn your back on our Nation.

Personally, I agree. I don't give two flying f**k's whether or not you believe the war is right or wrong, those men and women deserve nothing less.

I can't stand Timmy's coffee, but I do purchase it from time to time as need be. But from here on out, I think not.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't get the big fuss. I don't understand why the one group that we need to be outraged about all the time is "the troops". If they didn't allow their employees to wear pink or red ribbons no one would care. Why should I stop buying good hot chocolate because Tim's didn't automatically jump on the "we love the troops" bandwagon?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't get the big fuss. I don't understand why the one group that we need to be outraged about all the time is "the troops". If they didn't allow their employees to wear pink or red ribbons no one would care. Why should I stop buying good hot chocolate because Tim's didn't automatically jump on the "we love the troops" bandwagon?

Hey, if you don't get it, you won't get it.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
True enough. I remember when I used to work at a public library, we had a no-soliciting policy for donations. None of those change jars, etc. The only group to make a stink about it was the legion around poppy time for Remembrance Day, accusing the head librarian of being against veterans. Never mind the fact her father was a veteran (he actually served with my grandpa in Europe during WW2). I just don't see why their cause (admitedly a good one) deserved special treatment over other good causes.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
If Tim Hortons wont let their employees wear a pink ribbon for breast cancer why are they letting them wear red on fridays for a bias, political cause. Now if a Tim Hortons employee doesn't wear red on friday he or she may get harrassed by customers who are hell bent on this. This is so stupid.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
During WW I and WWII (LWF), the sentiment that all the men and women, serving our Nation overseas, were considered the sons and daughters of our Nation, was common place. Therefore, if you turn your back on our sons and daughters, you turn your back on our Nation.

Personally, I agree. I don't give two flying f**k's whether or not you believe the war is right or wrong, those men and women deserve nothing less.

I can't stand Timmy's coffee, but I do purchase it from time to time as need be. But from here on out, I think not.

my country right or wrong?

I'll pass

So what you're telling me here is I'm supposed to buy into some poorly contexted 50-year-old propagandic corporate stretch of the imagination as if it and not social pressure is the reality I should be concerned with? Not in Leo Strauss' dreams.