Child savaged in another Rottweiler attack

Yet again a child has been savaged by a Rottweiler. This latest incidence comes just four days after a child was killed by two pub Rottweilers. This time the child survived the attack and is in a critical condition in hospital.

A toddler has been savaged by a Rottweiler days after another baby died in a similar attack.

Harvey Lawrence, aged two years and three months, was attacked at his grandmother's home in Tudor Close, Middleton, near Bognor, West Sussex, at midday on Tuesday.

He suffered cuts and wounds across his face and body and remained at St Richard's Hospital in Chichester, where a hospital spokeswoman said his family were at his bedside.

She added that he had spent a considerable amount of time in surgery but that he had managed to watch his favourite video.

The dog, named Tyler, was put down with the owner's consent.

The attack came just five days after five-month-old Cadey-Lee Deacon was mauled to death by two Rottweilers in the New Parks area of Leicester.

The latest attack happened as Harvey was being looked after at the home of his grandmother and her partner - believed to be a retired policeman, according to neighbours.

Neighbour Mike Pepper was up a ladder outside his home when he heard hysterical screaming from a woman coming from their front garden about 400 yards away at the end of the private close.

He explained how he grabbed a hammer, ran up the driveway and hit the animal repeatedly over the head in an effort to subdue it before carrying the blood-soaked child into their kitchen.

Mr Pepper, 66, said: "I knew something was wrong, particularly as a Rottweiler was involved.

"So I got down from the ladder and got hold of the nearest thing I could find, which was a hammer, and I went down the road and up the driveway of their home. I could see the grandmother was over the boy in the front garden shielding him from further attack.

"The dog was still trying to get to the boy and I kept shouting at the dog to get away and I hit it on the head with the hammer.

"Fortunately, it backed off so I turned my attention to the boy who was covered in blood and had some really nasty facial injuries.

"I asked the grandmother to lift the boy up so I could carry him into the house and into the kitchen where I could assess his injuries.

"He had injuries to the left and right side of his face and over his body. I was told by a paramedic later that he also had been bitten on the back of his neck.

"The paramedics and police arrived within 10 minutes and took him to hospital.''

There had been previous concerns from neighbours about the dog. Mr Pepper said it had been tethered to a long lead after neighbours complained about it being allowed to roam free.

"I have never seen anything like this before and never want to be in this situation again,'' he said.

Another neighbour said that the dog's owner decided to tether the dog following complaints about the danger.

Engineer surveyor Les Green, 58, said: "It was August bank holiday last year and it had got out and was roaming through everyone's garden.

"We didn't know who the dog belonged to so we called the police, but because it was a bank holiday, they didn't come out. It used to be quite a friendly dog but it is so big and scary.''

His wife, Julie, 49, a company director, said: "I don't understand why people keep dogs of that nature, particularly when there are children around.''

A Sussex Police spokesman said: "The child is now with family at St Richard's Hospital. He has suffered a number of bites and cuts to his body.

"His condition is not life-threatening and he remains in hospital for treatment. Police inquiries with the family and the owner of the dog continue.

"The dog has been seized by police and the owner has voluntarily authorised the humane destruction of the animal.''
It's the only natural outcome of a pitbull ban. Crazy people move on to Rotties. Ban them next and it'll probably be mastiffs of one kind or another.
"Mr Pepper said it had been tethered to a long lead after neighbours complained about it being allowed to roam free."

This is maybe the easiest way to turn a dog into a vicious biter. NO knowledgeable dog owner would do this. Dogs by nature will avoid a conflict when possible by running away. Tethering a dog produces a situation where the dog can't run away, ever. So, the dog becomes mean because the best defense is a good offense and extremely territorial. Anyone entering into its space (the area the tether will allow it to reach) is seen as a threat to them and at risk of being attacked.
the thing is i've known rottweilers and staffies and all the "notorious" dogs and they're all perfectly capable of being loving faithful dogs. I blame it all on the owners. Dogs should not be trained as guard dogs and should be discouraged from any aggression at all, same as people