School shooting in Montreal not terror.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
As I write this there is a very unpleasant situation unfolding in Montreal. At least one gunman has invaded Dawson College, a school for pre-university students (a private school, I suspect) At least four people have been shot, and one gunman is down.

The question is are there more?

There are reports of as many as four gunman, and police have closed down the college and surrounding area. Confusion reigns.

I hope it is one nut, already neutralized.

If it is four, it is a terror attack.

The target, an English private school, would include a high proportion of Jewish students.

I hope not.

Edited to say:

I've changed the title of this thread from "Terror Attack in Montreal?!" because it is now clear there is only ONE gunman, and the attack was not political.

My apologies.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
RE: Terror Attack in Montreal?!

Two gunmen down and dead, police looking for a third........perhaps.

The only mention of cause on the CTV and CBC news channels has been gang activity............

Sorry guys, criminal gangs don't go in for suicide attacks.

United_Nations

Sep 12, 2006
Re: Terror Attack in Montreal?!

Have you ever thought it is a disgruntled student. Even though you are probably hoping it is a Muslim attack to reinforce hatred of Muslims, its not a terrorist attack if it is a student or former student who was disgruntled.

14 min ago:

MONTREAL - A gunman dressed in military fatigues opened fire Wednesday in the cafeteria of a Montreal college and wounded an unknown number of people before shooting himself, witnesses and police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dozens of students at Dawson College near downtown fled into the surrounding streets after the shooting broke out in the school of about 3,000.

Student Devansh Smri Vastava said he saw a man in military fatigues storm the school's cafeteria and that he heard about 20 shots fired.

He also said teachers ran through the halls telling students to get out.

A SWAT team and canine units were at the college, going floor by floor to look for victims, Sgt. Giuseppe Boccardi told CNN.

"Most of the students have exited the college grounds," he said.

Martine Millette of the Montreal police said authorities did not know how many people had been shot.

Police said the man later shot himself.

One student told radio station 940 News that she had seen two people who had been shot, including one who was hit in the neck. The student said a friend told her four people had been shot.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060913/ap_on_re_ca/canada_college_shooting

Now the person shot in the neck is probably dead or paralyzed however there is one dead gunman. All the hail marks of Columbine.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Have you ever thought it is a disgruntled student. Even though you are probably hoping it is a Muslim attack to reinforce hatred of Muslims, its not a terrorist attack if it is a student or former student who was disgruntled.

TWO dead gunmen so far. Not likely a disgruntled student, as much as I wish it was.

It is still possibly an attack by nuts of the apolitical kind, but it looks doubtful. And, in the background of an on-site interview, I saw an orthodox Jew, complete with skullcap and curls........obviously a student.

What bothers me is Canadians solid refusal to admit that a terror attack can happen here........

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006

This sounds like Columbine again, but I would love more details first. If this is another Columbine then people really have to realise that bullying and other forms of harassment have to be dealt with more openly and honestly.

You can not have people being pychologically tortured day in and out, and not get reations like Columbine and all the other high school shooting that have proceeded it.

I am not at this stage saying that's what happening in this case, cause I don't know, but I would sure like more details. I am going to surf and see what I can find. I did not even see anything about this before.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006

That's horrible this could be like our own Columbine. I just read the link. Are there any more details? I realise this just happened now.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

This sounds like Columbine again, but I would love more details first. If this is another Columbine then people really have to realise that bullying and other forms of harassment have to be dealt with more openly and honestly.

I couldn't agree more, although I doubt this is a Columbine type situation.

One of the worst things to happen in schools was a "zero tolerance" of violence......well meant, but in practise if some unpopular soul is being physically abused by one or more individuals, and he attempts to defend himself, he is as guilty as the perpetrators.......all are disciplined, and the matter considered closed. Idiocy of the Nth degree.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Terror Attack in Montreal?!

EastSideScotian said:
Colpy you definatly Jumped the gun on this one.

How so? I've reached, and stated, absolutely no conclusions.........just possibilities.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Terror Attack in Montreal?!

EastSideScotian said:
I have been switching back and forth, between CTV AND CBC, Sounds like skin heads, or trenchcoat mafia types.

I sincerely hope so..........for a couple of reasons.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006

I found this on pulse24 website.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_3526.aspx

They mention
Witnesses report seeing a man arrive in a car and take out an AK 47 rifle, before disappearing inside the school. Another recounts tales of seeing a Goth-garbed person with long black hair in the building.

I don't know if this is true or not but they mention goth-garbed person, could be wrong though, with so much confusion who would know for sure. I can't believe this. I mean I can, but I can't. It's so horrible.

I really wonder if they were bullied students? I wish we had the details, but it will be days probably.

United_Nations

Sep 12, 2006
Re: Terror Attack in Montreal?!

This is from four minutes ago:

MONTREAL - At least one gunman in a black trench coat opened fire Wednesday in the cafeteria of a Montreal college and wounded an unknown number of people before shooting himself, witnesses and police said.

Scores of students at Dawson College near downtown fled into the surrounding streets after the shooting broke out in the school of about 10,000. Some of them had bloody clothes.

CBC-TV showed police with guns drawn standing behind a police cruiser.

Martine Millette of the Montreal police said authorities did not know how many people had been shot. There also was uncertainty if there was more than one gunman.

Millette said the man later shot himself. Constable Philippe Gouin said "in all probability, the suspect has committed suicide."

Student Devansh Smri Vastava said he saw a man in military fatigues storm the school's cafeteria and that he heard about 20 shots fired. Other witnesses said the man wore a black trench coat.

He also said teachers ran through the halls telling students to get out.

Another student who gave her name as Chloe tearfully recounted seeing the gunman pointing a weapon at people.

"All of a sudden I turned around and saw a man who was all dressed in black," she told radio station 940 News.

"This dude with the clothes started pointing the gun at other people. He was right behind me. He turned around and went in the corner of the cafeteria," she said.

Another student told 940 News that she had seen two people who had been shot, including one who was hit in the neck. The student said a friend told her four people had been shot.

Ingrid Keigan, a 17-year-old student, said she saw one person outside who had been shot in the chest.

A SWAT team and canine units were at the college, going floor by floor to look for victims, Sgt. Giuseppe Boccardi told CNN.

"Most of the students have exited the college grounds," he said.

People have also been evacuated from the nearby Alexis-Nihon shopping center.

Dawson College was the first English-language institution in Quebec's network of university preparatory colleges when it was founded in 1969. It is the largest college of general and vocational education, known by its French acronym CEGEP, in the province.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060913/ap_on_re_ca/canada_college_shooting

And like I said before, it is probably a former, or a student of the school, maybe not, maybe a skinhead who knows. However, it does not look like an organizaed terror attack to kill peoples children.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Terror Attack in Mont

It almost seems like Deja vu. Montreal Massacre

I wonder if the motivation for the two events are similar (though obviously not the same, as I don't think women were targeted).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Well, according to reports one of the dead gunmen had a "Mohawk" style haircut and several piercings......not what you would expect in a terror attack.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario

I guess none of the students, regonized him, other than he and all his friends were white. Peirceings and slicked back hair in trench coats.

It will be interesting to see what the reason this attack had, and who these people were and their relation to the school.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Terror Attack in Mont

gc said:
It almost seems like Deja vu. Montreal Massacre

I wonder if the motivation for the two events are similar (though obviously not the same, as I don't think women were targeted).

Yeah. One big difference.

Another is more than one gunmen......and very big kudos to the police, who entered the buildings immediately and shot dead one gunman, at least according to current reports.

This pleases me more than you know, as one of my pet peeves is police standing around waiting for the shooting to stop before going in.

VERY big kudos to the police.