New WTC Towers Unveiled

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
‘Stunning’ designs unveiled for WTC site
Architects present plans for three more skyscrapers to join Freedom Tower

NEW YORK - Architects presented striking new visions for the World Trade Center site Thursday with designs for three more towers — including a diamond-shaped skyscraper — that would replace the twin towers with some of the city's tallest buildings overlooking a Sept. 11 memorial.

The designs unveiled Thursday joined plans for the 1,776-foot-tall Freedom Tower skyscraper, an 8-acre memorial surrounding the spots where the twin towers stood and a winged glass-and-steel transit hub.

The three new towers would descend in height from the iconic Freedom Tower in a spiral around the memorial, which sets twin reflecting pools above the spots where the towers stood in a tree-filled plaza.

"These are some of the most stunning buildings you will see anywhere in the world," Gov. George Pataki said. "It does respect the sanctity of this entire site."

Architects Norman Foster and Richard Rogers, both of Britain, and Fumihiko Maki, of Japan, presented models of the towers at a news conference at developer Larry Silverstein's rebuilt 7 World Trade Center. A film showed the buildings' models from different angles while "New York, New York" played in the background.

Foster designed the tallest of the three buildings — at 1,254 feet, taller than anything in the city except the Empire State Building. It appears to connect four narrow towers, topped by four shining diamonds that would be lit at night.

A ‘beacon’
Foster, who designed the Hearst Tower in Manhattan and used diamond patterns in his original "kissing towers" proposal for the trade center site, called the diamonds a "beacon" that would direct viewers down toward the memorial from any angle in the city.

"Wherever you are ... and you look at this tower, it will tell you where the memorial park is," he said.

Foster's tower would have four wider floors for financial trading, a 65-foot-high lobby and retail space above and below ground. None of the buildings is planned to have storefronts or retail space that directly face the memorial.

Rogers proposed a slender 71-story tower with crisscrossing columns up and down its sides, topped by 100-foot spires at all four corners. He called it "a very slim tower, clearly structured, clearly legible" and said he wanted to create an effect of reaching into the sky.

Maki called his 61-story tower an "abstract, minimalist" creation and said it would be clad in a perforated aluminum that would make it the lightest-colored of the three buildings. It would house restaurants and cafes at its lower levels directly overlooking the memorial.

The Maki tower is the first scheduled to begin construction and the only with committed tenants. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the trade center site, and city officials have agreed to take space there.

Still to be designed are a performing arts center, a visitors center and a fifth tower, possibly residential, to be built just off the 16-acre site. Development officials said the entire site will be rebuilt by 2012.

Silverstein and the Port Authority are expected this month to finalize a deal to split rebuilding rights at ground zero, giving Silverstein control over the three towers on the eastern side of the site and handing over control of the Freedom Tower and the fifth tower to the Port Authority.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14723076/

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
RE: New WTC Towers Unveil

They look shiney.. (new)

Overall I would go with an intelligent design.. and do many "underground" layers.. but the waterline of manhattan I'm not sure about. Underground buildings are intelligent construction. While I think the higher the building the more expensive it would be. The architect seems to have some designs, they are fairly "plain" except for the freedom tower. I'd also do a sustainability thing. Like more of a hanging gardens thing, more of a zigaurat pyramid. Skycrapers are relatively bland.

Ginger_Ale

Electoral Member
May 23, 2004
Boston

They definately look very nice, but what's the cost going to be? Is it really worth the millions of dollars it will probably cost (that taxpayers will be providing)?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: New WTC Towers Unveil

Ginger_Ale said:
They definately look very nice, but what's the cost going to be? Is it really worth the millions of dollars it will probably cost (that taxpayers will be providing)?

No federal mney is being spent, so the answer is yes.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
In my own opinion I think they should keep ground zero exactly how it is right now and not build anything on it. They'll build it just to have the terrorist find a way to destroy this new building as well.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
No federal mney is being spent, so the answer is yes

But a lot of local money is being spent and this will mean less money available for local libraries, hospitals, schools, and other municipal uses.

They'll build it just to have the terrorist find a way to destroy this new building as well.

Assuming it was terrorists and there was no CIA complicity as has been rumored for some while.

Back in 1969 when construction of the WTC was being discussed we spoke of how vulnerable it would be for any form of attack. That jeopardy is no less today. And as someone who worked in or near that complex for many years, I object to anything other than a commemorative for those innocents whose lives were lost.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
gopher said:

But a lot of local money is being spent and this will mean less money available for local libraries, hospitals, schools, and other municipal uses.

This about NYC and what the people want. And we want it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think not said:
gopher said:

This about NYC and what the people want. And we want it.

Good for the people of New York.

Defiance counts.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005

"This about NYC and what the people want. And we want it"

Folks in NYC are highly divided over the new buildings for the reason I listed above. Of course, the wealthy elites who will profit from the new construction gladly applaud the effort which isn't being paid by them and will lead to more $$$ in their pockets. As always, they will get their way. But as for those of us who lost friends, co-workers, or family members, our voices will be ignored.

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
Re: RE: New WTC Towers Unveiled

Riyko said:
In my own opinion I think they should keep ground zero exactly how it is right now and not build anything on it. They'll build it just to have the terrorist find a way to destroy this new building as well.

It's about moving on.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005

"It's about moving on."

I still have friends and family in NYC and none approve of rebuilding for the reasons I wrote above. Yes, some folks there want a new building or series of them but the dissenting voices (most of which are native to the city) are being unfairly ignored.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x5943.xml

World's Tallest Building at Ground Zero Is Bad Idea, Most New Yorkers Tell Quinnipiac University Poll; Mayor, Not Governor, Should Control Recovery
spacer

Building the world's tallest building at the World Trade Center site is a "bad idea," New York City voters say 57 - 36 percent in a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

The building should be shorter so it is not a target for future terrorist attacks, 52 percent of New Yorkers say, while 39 percent say a taller building would be a statement of New York's recovery.

A total of 62 percent of New York City voters say the redevelopment of Lower Manhattan is going "very well" or "somewhat well," while 28 percent say it is going "somewhat badly" or "very badly."

In a March 28, 2002, poll by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University, 78 percent of New Yorkers said the redevelopment was going "very well" or "somewhat well."

Mayor Bloomberg should have the major role in decisions about redeveloping the World Trade Center site, 58 percent of New Yorkers say, while 23 percent say Gov. George Pataki should have the major role, with 20 percent undecided.

"Low marks for the high building planned for the World Trade Center site," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "New Yorkers don't want to tempt terrorists to attack a third time."

"Even though Gov. Pataki has moved to dominate the rebuilding effort, and most voters say things are going well, New Yorkers would like to have their Mayor in charge," Carroll said.

By a 70 -- 25 percent margin, New Yorkers say there should be just one memorial for all the victims of the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center.

"All of the dead should share equally in the memorial, most voters say, rather than having a separate memorial for the rescuers," Carroll said.

From April 29 -- May 5, Quinnipiac University surveyed 757 New York City registered voters, with a margin of error of +/- 3.6 percent.

The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts public opinion surveys in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and nationwide as a public service and for research.

View complete poll and results.

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
http://www.bobbyshred.com/twintowers.html

New Yorkers will tell you that it is a surreal feeling to look at the city and not see the Twin Towers.
Everyone still imagines them there.
You could see the Twin Towers from all over the New York area. All you had to do was to look up to the sky and see the Twin Towers to know where you were in the NY/NJ area.

We don't want a replacement structure there.

That will prove that the terrorists won by permanently altering our skyline. We want the Twin Towers back.

When the new Twin Towers II are built it will help heal the wounds of 9/11.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005

I never heard of this Bobby Shred character but you can see how he readily quotes developer Donald Trump who stands to make multiples of millions from the deal. Note how he does not make any reference to the will of the average working man or woman in NYC.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: New WTC Towers Unveil

gopher said:
"This about NYC and what the people want. And we want it"

Folks in NYC are highly divided over the new buildings for the reason I listed above. Of course, the wealthy elites who will profit from the new construction gladly applaud the effort which isn't being paid by them and will lead to more $$$ in their pockets. As always, they will get their way. But as for those of us who lost friends, co-workers, or family members, our voices will be ignored.

I find your comments exceptionally rude, misguided and arrogant. For those of YOU who lost friends etc...? What makes you think YOU only lost friends etc... And what gives you the impression because YOU lost someone your voice is louder than someone elses? The city belongs to 8 million people.

This rest of the country never gave a rats ass about New York, all of sudden you all woke up? Screw you.

And what wealthy elites idiot? You haven't the slightest CLUE who builds these type of buildings in New York, not a SINGLE CLUE. Get one, before you spew your nonsense.

And I don't care what your polls say, we want them up, those who don't should attend meetings like the rest of us, otherwise zip it and move along. Sitting behind a monitor telling US what to do is typical backseat bullshit. The footprints are not being built on, museums, transit hubs, underground railways and parks are being built around it.

We want our skyline back.