Religious Freedom?

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Christian arrested in Canada for preaching and praying
Posted on September 6th, 2006

Canada (MNN) -- 33 year old Artur Pawlowski will be in a Canadian court tomorrow, answering disturbing the peace, trespassing and other charges. The charges stem from a run-in with police last month while preaching and praying aloud on a Calgary sidewalk.

With support from area churches, Pawlowski reaches out to the needy by taking the church to them. He preaches to drug dealers, homeless and street kids who congregate in a local park. He's been threatened by drug dealers because often their clients turn away from drugs when they come to Christ.

According to reports, because of threats, he started video taping the street events.

Last month, he decided to begin preaching to tarot card readers and other fortune tellers who had set up shop as part of a festival near the park. Video shows he was calm when the vendors became agitated. Event organizers called police and Pawlowski and his brother David were asked not to talk to the vendors again. They agreed and left.

Just a few days later they returned to pray, far away from the vendors. However, the vendors called police anyway. Video shows Pawlowski standing on the sidewalk with his hands in his pockets, calmly asking police why they're harassing him.

Six police officers arrested him. He spent a night in jail as a result. ... in a country that claims religious freedom.

I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but I found it on some website. Pretty interesting and very pathetic.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I would probably react the same way the vendors did, if someone started taking the church to me. I don't think it's a matter of religious freedom - it is a matter of adequate public behaviour.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Vereya said:
I would probably react the same way the vendors did, if someone started taking the church to me. I don't think it's a matter of religious freedom - it is a matter of adequate public behaviour.

I'm with you on this. I was in Oxford street in London, UK a few months ago and a man with a megaphone bellowed into my ear "do you believe in God?" I explained that i was undecided and he bellowed triumphantly "Sinner!!! NOT winner!!" This is the kind of craziness you expect in London but really it's not good behaviour. I don't think I'd have him arrested but people should probably explain to him that some people might be upset by it.

This other chap may well have been more offensive and maybe he was causing trouble. Religious freedom good, crazy shouting idiots in public, bad.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Why is it that people expect religious rights to include the ability to walk around verbally assaulting people? A non-religious person appreciates being called a sinner as much as a religious person appreciates being called a demented nut.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
well, he left when asked to leave, I fail to see the problem there. He then calmy prayed to himself. If the story is to believed anyways.

If he was arrested then it is pathetic.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
In this example however he was not calling anyone sinner, as the first post states, he was respectful and when asked to leave the venders alone he did. When he returned he did not go anywhere near them and it does not sound like he was being rude or offensive.

Risking his life against drug dealers to preach the gospel only to be undone by tarot card readers. I think as long as he preaches in a respectful manner and is not bothering anyone who does not want to hear about God then it should be ok.

It sounds like the fact that he wanted to do it in public at all was too much for the tarot card readers.