Outrage as German play portrays Queen as Nazi.

The German (who else?) Director, Diana & The 'Nazi' Monarch

Written by Joanne Leyland

Thursday, 31 August 2006

The timing couldn't have been worse. On the ninth anniversary of their mother's death, Princes William and Harry have been alerted to the fact a new stage show is to document the final hours in the life of Diana, Princess of Wales in a production which sounds to be in questionable taste.

The show, produced by German director Christoph Schlingensief, is set to open in Berlin in two weeks and reportedly takes a bizarre look at the divorced Princess of Wales' final night and the events surrounding her death on August 31st 1997.

The director is aware of the feelings evoked by the late Princess here in Britain, admitting he'll have to visit London in secret, saying: "Diana is holy there. This Diana piece completes my series which started with Hitler. They are all people around whom mythologies are built up."

Schlingensief has a history of provoking reaction with his controversial works, previous shows having depicted violent rape and Nazism. The latter is apparently a theme to which he's returning, it being claimed the Diana production will include a scene in which an actress playing the Queen is depicted making a Nazi salute.

Asked to comment on the German production, a senior royal aide said: "It doesn’t take a genius to work out how William and Harry feel about these things."

The news about the questionable 'royal' stage show comes on the same day it was revealed Channel Four in the UK is to broadcast a programme in October titled Death of A President.

The President in question is not John F. Kennedy but the present incumbent, President George W. Bush.

The 2-hour mock documentary is set to incorporate a scene in which an actor playing the American President is assassinated outside a hotel. The scene appears to have been written so as to evoke memories of the attempted murder of President Ronald Reagan in 1981.

It would appear that 'art' is becoming a byword and excuse for the release of all kinds of dubious and questionable productions, both on stage and screen.

The idiots always come out around the aniversary of Diana's death. As if her death was not bad enough, we have to endure the endless distasteful trash that people feel the need to share with the world. Unfortunately, it isn't limited to this time of year, but all year round. It just gets worse in August.

Not one thought of William and Harry enter the heads of people like this.

--Kathy Gebhardt

Agree, how low can people go?
It is truly a sad day in the art world when peole produce these types of "art" pieces.

--Karmen Day
I really don't see what people are upset about, brits seem to have a weird fetish for all things Monarchy... evident by the ammount of tabloids that cover every second of their existence.

Didn't prince William trot around in a nazi officers uniform at a costume party a couple years back?
nah that was Harry you ignorant fool
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

nah that was Harry you ignorant fool

Thanks for clarifying that . Hopefully this show comes to toronto, it should be good for a laugh or two.
what is it at the princess of wales?
That would be an appropriate venue for this show.
yeah, not too hard for me to get to either lol....just walk down king west
My play is called Royal Pardon :- It is about my dates with diana
This is some of my history with princess di.
Richlaw@postmaster.co.uk (external - login to view)
no new posts