Curtis Dagenais has finally turned himself in

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2006
Suspect in slaying of two Saskatchewan Mounties turns himself in

Photo full image
The intensive manhunt for the suspect in the slaying of two Saskatchewan Mounties ended Tuesday when Curtis Dagenais turned himself in to authorities. (CP handout photo)
REGINA (CP) - Relief from all quarters was immediately palpable as RCMP announced in Regina on Tuesday that the suspect in the slaying of two Saskatchewan Mounties had turned himself in.

Curtis Dagenais, 41, walked into the detachment in Spiritwood, Sask., accompanied by friends Rosanne and Armend Smith and surrendered without incident.

Comments?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The last eight RCMP officers killed, have been killed by a rifle. Is it possibly a mistake to take rifles off the gun control list?

link

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
RE: Curtis Dagenais has f

Fortunately he turned him self in without incident, we don't need any more dead cops by his hand. He can now become familiar with a jail setting, where he will spend the rest of his life.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:
The last eight RCMP officers killed, have been killed by a rifle. Is it possibly a mistake to take rifles off the gun control list?

link

The rifle used in Maplethorpe was a Heckler and Koch Model 91, already prohibited in Canada. It's status will not change under the new rules.

Are you sure this killer used a rifle?

Not that it makes any difference, IMHO.

Maplethorpe, and Toronto last year, simply prove heavy gun control does not work. Period.

Edited to say....

Wendy Cukier is on my list of least liked people in the western hemisphere.

The idea that me registering my long guns would have prevented any of this is completely ludicrous.

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
It's really a shame that we currently do not have capital punishment in this country. At the moment, I could not think of a better candidate for the death penalty than Mr. Dagenais.

He killed two RCMP officers in cold blood and what better way to provide justice to the family members of the two fallen officers than to convict Mr. Dagenais to death.

Kodiak

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
Nanaimo
Guns laws do not need to be changed, but the death penalty should be reviewed. You could easily add Clifford Olsen to the list of suitable candidates.
I had heard that there was a bit of a mystery about the shooting involving the RCMP, it was said in the local news that the 911 call came in one hour after the shooting had occured. Did anyone else hear this?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
This really horrifies me. I've always thought it was a good thing that my brother serves in a smaller community, but in the last 2 years we've seen how little safety that guarantees.

I find it odd people would argue in favor of reinstituting the death penalty which has absolutely no value in preventing future murders.