IDF: Troops enter Gaza

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Israeli troops roll into Gaza
Strikes hit bridges, power plant as military seeks soldier's rescue

Tuesday, June 27, 2006; Posted: 11:40 p.m. EDT (03:40 GMT)

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israeli troops and armored vehicles crossed into southern Gaza early Wednesday in what the Israeli military said was an attempt to rescue a soldier kidnapped by Palestinian militants.

Soldiers backed by artillery traveled from the Israeli military encampment in Kerem Shalom to the southern Gaza town of Rafah, near the Gaza-Israel-Egypt border, said the Israeli Defense Ministry.

The Israelis took up positions in Gaza shortly before 3 a.m. (8 p.m. ET) in the area where Cpl. Gilad Shalit was abducted Sunday. Two other Israeli soldiers were killed in the weekend raid by Palestinian militants who tunneled into Israel.

Before Wednesday's incursion began, two rounds of Israeli airstrikes knocked out a power plant in Gaza City, cutting power to most of the territory. Video from the Palestinian Ramattan news agency showed fires burning at the site.

Two bridges in central Gaza were hit in order to restrict the movement of the militants holding Shalit, said Capt. Jacob Dallal, a military spokesman.

"We are trying to make it clear to the Palestinian Authority and to the terror organizations that we will take the necessary steps to secure his safe return," Dallal said.

Another airstrike knocked out a bridge connecting the northern and southern districts of Gaza City, witnesses told CNN. Later, the Israelis struck one of the three bridges again.

Capt. Noa Meir, a military spokeswoman, said Israeli commanders have a "general idea" where Shalit was being held. (Watch scenes of Gaza damage as tanks roll -- 2:07)

"We still hope to return safely our kidnapped soldier," Daniel Ayalon, Israeli ambassador to the United States, told CNN Tuesday night from Washington. Israel will call its operation off if Shalit is released safely, he added.

After the kidnapping, Ayalon said, "We had no choice but to react."

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told his parliament Tuesday to expect "an extended campaign against the Palestinian Authority" unless Shalit was released.

"All targets" would be considered for possible action, Olmert said the day after ruling out any deals with militants for Shalit's release.

But Meir said Israeli troops have no plan to reoccupy the territory, from which Israel withdrew in 2005.

"Our troops have gone in in order to get Cpl. Shalit home safely," she said. "That is the sole intention of our operations."

Meanwhile, a group claiming to have taken another Israeli man hostage in the West Bank threatened to kill the settler if Israeli troops did not withdraw.

Israel has massed troops at the edge of Gaza while demanding the return of Shalit. The incursion marks Israel's first large-scale move into the Palestinian territory since its troops and settlers left last September. (Watch soldier's family, Israelis wait and remember history -- 2:36)

All Palestinian factions have pleaded with Israel to hold off on military action, saying an offensive would only complicate efforts to end the crisis.

Feverish negotiations between Palestinian leaders and the militants who are holding the Israeli soldier continued Tuesday. (Watch Palestinians express defiance as tensions rise -- 2:34)

Aides said Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas was directly involved in talks with Prime Minister Ismail Haniya of the ruling Islamic militant party Hamas.

Israel has slapped a land and sea blockade on Gaza, cutting off people's movements and shipments of fuel and food, nine months after returning control of the territory to the Palestinians.

Inside Gaza, Palestinians have dumped piles of sand on major roads, intended to slow any advance of Israeli tanks and armor and provide cover for gunmen.

Mideast analyst Aaron David Miller told CNN it was not clear whether Israeli forces knew the abducted soldier's location or whether the incursion was meant to increase pressure on the Palestinian Authority.

"Their major objective is to try to find a way to extricate this soldier and get him back safely," said Miller, a former U.S. State Department official and Mideast negotiator. "That may well be the only thing that stands between the situation we have now and a serious escalation."
Settler threatened

The Popular Resistance Committee -- one of the Palestinian militant groups holding Shalit -- said it was also holding the Israeli settler in the West Bank.

Israeli police said a family in the settlement of Itamar, near Nablus in the West Bank, had filed a missing persons report.

After Israeli troops moved into Gaza, the group issued a statement threatening to kill their West Bank captive unless Israel pulled back.

The missing settler was identified as 18-year-old Eliyahu Asheri. He was last seen Sunday night at a hitchhiking post in Jerusalem, and his parents reported him missing Monday afternoon.

Israel withdrew troops and settlers from Gaza last year after more than 37 years of occupation. Then-Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said the pullout, along with the withdrawal of Israelis from four small areas of the West Bank, was part of a plan to reinvigorate the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

But Israel stepped up airstrikes and shelling in recent weeks as Palestinians continued to fire crude Qassam rockets into Israeli territory.

"For the last six, seven months, we've been receiving more than 800 rockets from Gaza terrorizing our southern communities, and they do need and deserve protection and security from our government," Ayalon said. "There is no excuse for them to keep shelling our towns."

Israel's deputy prime minister, Shimon Peres, recognized a split among Palestinians and blamed exiled Hamas political leader Khaled Meshaal for Shalit's kidnapping. Peres said Meshaal "wants to destroy any chance for peace."

"All this was done against, maybe, the better judgment of the Palestinian leaders on the ground," Peres told CNN. "The orders came from Syria. They came from a gentleman who wants to destroy any chance for peace."

Meshaal, the head of the Hamas political office, lives in exile in Damascus.

Peres said Israel believes that Shalit, who holds dual Israeli-French citizenship, is "alive and healthy."

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: IDF: Troops enter Gaz

Poke the bear too much and he's bound to swat at you. You reap what you sow Palestine. My advice; give them the soldier back.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario

They have been Poke the bear for years, I wish the bear would sit on them, I am getting sick of the Anti-semetic Islamic Countrys hateing on the Jews simply Because they are Jews.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: IDF: Troops enter Gaz

EastSideScotian said:
They have been Poke the bear for years, I wish the bear would sit on them, I am getting sick of the Anti-semetic Islamic Countrys hateing on the Jews simply Because they are Jews.

Illegal Occupation fool. What are they suppose to say. Thank you Israel for controling us under military rule for 38 years. CHasing us from our homes. Killing our children and all that stuff.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Oh please, what about the hundreds of Palestinian civilians who have been killed in faulty air strikes, by Israeli soldiers for no reason but they were walking down the strewet. Don't give me that garbage.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Direct suicide bombings targetting Israel civilians should be condemned but how can someone say that Palestinians should directly attack military and leave civilians alone (when civilians always die in war) But it is okay for Israel to kil civilians all the time. How, double standard.

GuyIncognito

Jun 13, 2006
South Eastern Ontario
All civilian deaths are tragic but if we are talking scale here, I'd say purposely targeting innocents far outweighs collateral civilian death.
And I'm not saying any life is worth less than another I'm simply saying it's all about honour & intentions.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Jersay said:
EastSideScotian said:

Illegal Occupation fool. What are they suppose to say. Thank you Israel for controling us under military rule for 38 years. CHasing us from our homes. Killing our children and all that stuff.

Largely the fault of the Palestinians themselves. Barak offered them a nation that consisted of over 95% of the land of Gaza and the West Bank. The Palestinians reacted by launching the second intifada.

The Israelis abandoned Gaza, leaving it to the Palestinians. It fell into chaos immediately, became a convenient spot to launch rockets into Israel, and then the Palestinians elect Hamas. Hamaas is the government of Palestine. Hamas brags of launching attacks on military targets inside Israel. That is an act of war, what could one expect Israel to do but retailiate?

No, the Israelis would jump at any real chance of peace with Palestine. The vast majority have realized that the two state solution is the only solution, but they need a partner to work towards peace.

Until Hamas openly declares their recognition of Israel's right to exist, there is no one for Israel to negotiate with. And I mean openly declare, which means altering their charter.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

Colpy said:
Jersay said:
EastSideScotian said:

Largely the fault of the Palestinians themselves. Barak offered them a nation that consisted of over 95% of the land of Gaza and the West Bank. The Palestinians reacted by launching the second intifada.

The Israelis abandoned Gaza, leaving it to the Palestinians. It fell into chaos immediately, became a convenient spot to launch rockets into Israel, and then the Palestinians elect Hamas. Hamaas is the government of Palestine. Hamas brags of launching attacks on military targets inside Israel. That is an act of war, what could one expect Israel to do but retailiate?

No, the Israelis would jump at any real chance of peace with Palestine. The vast majority have realized that the two state solution is the only solution, but they need a partner to work towards peace.

Until Hamas openly declares their recognition of Israel's right to exist, there is no one for Israel to negotiate with. And I mean openly declare, which means altering their charter.

Exactly. I'm sorry Jersay, but I don't feel for Palestine at all. While yes I will accept that innocent Palestinians have been killed. You and I both know that Israel doesn't sit around and just attack civilians for giggles. Why don't the Palestinian people put an end to the radicals in their Government? I mean, these people are voting for individuals who launch suicide attacks on another nation. Do they expect Israel to just roll over and pretend it's not happening? No, Israel is justified in defending their right to exist. I don't care how much Palestine wants to bitch and moan about it, because frankly, I, as a human being, put more stock in humans being able to live, than some ancient feud fired by religion. My advice to Palestinians; get rid of the idiots in your society who like to blow themselves up on a bus full of school children, stop attacking a Nation that has every right to exist, and they'll stop attacking you. You cannot sit there and wage war on people and not expect them to fight back. Look at this incident with the captured soldier. You didn't give the guy back, and now the IDF is rolling in to your land. Cause and effect you morons. I have no sympathy for people that subject themselves to their own misfortune. It's Darwinism at its finest. Thinning out the herb, and sadly, the herd of idiots has a large Palestinian population.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

The Palestinians are cementing their fate with this sort of thing. Hamas & the other groups are killing any chance of a negotiated settlment for the borders between Isreal & Palestine. The wall will continue to be built around the country, effectively setting the border. Enjoy arid desert Palestine.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

Colpy said:
Jersay said:
EastSideScotian said:

The reason that touched off the second Intifada, but not the main issue was moronic Sharon stepping into the most important Religious Muslim site in Israel and saying it is for Israelis knowing full well that it was a Muslim site and that is why the Intifada started when Israeli Arabs not Palestinians (same people though) rioted in Israel.

Barak also had so many conditions on the 95% that it wasn't going to work out. And what was the chance this agreement was going to pass Parliment if it was only a few months later that Sharon came to power.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Baloney!

Arafat started the second intifada because he knew he would be useless in a free Palestine, and his corruption would be revealed.

Sharon was elected BECAUSE of the intifada.....he had no chance before.

Gotta go to work

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: IDF: Troops enter Gaza

Colpy said:
Baloney!

Arafat started the second intifada because he knew he would be useless in a free Palestine, and his corruption would be revealed.

Sharon was elected BECAUSE of the intifada.....he had no chance before.

Gotta go to work

Have a link to prove it.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
This is what I found Colpy
Mainstream Palestinians demand a state in the West Bank and Gaza. Right wing Israelis are opposed to creating a state, because, they claim, it would be a base for terror groups. In final status negotiations, the Israeli government agreed to a demilitarized Palestinian state with limited control over its borders and resources - a "state minus."
http://www.mideastweb.org/nutshell.htm

Not really a state.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Jersay said:
The reason that touched off the second Intifada, but not the main issue was moronic Sharon stepping into the most important Religious Muslim site in Israel and saying it is for Israelis knowing full well that it was a Muslim site and that is why the Intifada started when Israeli Arabs not Palestinians (same people though) rioted in Israel.

Everyone know full well it is a jewish site. The temple mount has been Jewish for thousands of years. You can't build a mosque on top of the HOLIEST Jewish site, then call it a holy muslim site.

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/Modern_Destruction.htm

The issue came full circle in 2000. During the Camp David peace negotiations, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak offered Yassir Arafat formal control of the Temple Mount. All he wanted for Israel was the Western Wall holy site and the space beneath the Mount’s surface where most people expect to find remnants of the ancient Jewish Temples. Not surprisingly, Arafat refused, and the peace talks failed.

Edited to add quote

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba

LittleRunningGag said:
Religion... :roll:

Exactly, more wars have been started based on religion than for any other reason. Religion controls thought, thought controls the masses, control of the masses gives power and wealth to the prophets of these religions.