7 arrested in suspected plot against Chicago's Sears Tower

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Authorities in the United States have arrested seven people they say were planning to attack, among other targets, Chicago's Sears Tower.

The Sears Tower in Chicago was on the list of targets for a militant cell in the United States, officials claim. (Charles Bennett/Associated Press) The Sears Tower in Chicago was on the list of targets for a militant cell in the United States, officials claim. (Charles Bennett/Associated Press)

The arrests, made in Miami, allegedly foiled a plot that was in its early stages, according to U.S. law enforcement officials.

At 108 storeys, the Sears Tower is the tallest building in the United States.

The Associated Press reported Thursday evening that the suspects were mainly Americans, with no apparent ties to al-Qaeda.

MSNBC reported on its website that the suspects are men, "part of a radical Black Muslim group [who] were planning terror acts in Miami and Chicago ... The planned targets were the Sears Tower in Chicago and a federal building in Miami."

The U.S. attorney responsible for southern Florida, R. Alexander Acosta, said more details would be released on Friday when simultaneous news conferences are held in Miami and Washington.

Earlier this month, police in Ontario arrested 17 men suspected of planning to carry out bombing attacks in Toronto.

Link

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Re: 7 arrested in suspected plot against Chicago's Sears Tow

Quite disturbing really. The 17 arrested in Toronto and the 7 arrested in the states, I believe we're just scratching the surface.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
RE: 7 arrested in suspected plot against Chicago's Sears Tow

South Florida was jealous after the Toronto arrests. We just have to find a way to get ourselves in the news..

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005

Fortunately the radar is now on full when people see a Muslim in N. America. We start to wonder 'if'. We don't know which ones want to kill us and which ones don't. Which Muslim smiles in public and speaks of peace and non-violence yet privately is gleeful when planes are flown into buildings.

We are suspicious and that's the best defense against whackos wanting to blow up our children. Be vigilant. The more potential murderers we expose the less likely they are to attract similar nutbars to their cause in N. America. It's like puting the squeeze on gangs and eating into recruitment.

if, per chance there is another act of Islamic terrorism in the USA, the Muslim community is going to be under psycological seige. A visible Muslim getting out of a car in some towns will be literally followed around by vigilanties and their every move recorded. People turn hyper-aware when Islamic religious whackos threaten to blow their kidsup after blowing up someone else's family.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

From what I've read they had no explosives nor any knowledge how to make a bomb; just a "wanna", and a conversion to "Islam?"

They probably couldn't organize a good circle jerk, but, the idea of blowin something up will get them many years in prison.

So, if you and a few buddies get pissed up some night and vent out loud because the government cut off your E.I. cheque, vent quietly. If someone hears you say you'd like to blow up whatever, you may go to jail and not even collect $200.00. This is likely to happen in spades if you are black or East Indian.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch; according to the Ottawa Citizen, lots and lots of people are clamouring to give up some "personal freedoms" for "increased security" (whatever that means).

.................People are "scared". Quick, code Orange, Red, Yellow. Do a CNN "terrorist sighting".

Half the friggin time I can't believe what I'm reading and hearing.

Give your mind to Harper, your ass is probably his already.

We are a bunch of goddam sheep.

:evil:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

It's election year in the US. If they can't find terrorists they'll create them.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un

Because the "war in terrot" should not finish. If it does, then Bush won't be able to be re-elected. His mandat is over, but he might claim that US never changes president during the "war," like it was in WWII.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

They were African-Americans or Caribbean descent from what I have seen and maybe one or two of them were Muslims but not all of them so sorry Athabaska, I guess you will have to feel afraid of black people now. :roll:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: 7 arrested in suspected plot against Chicago's Sears

athabaska said:
Fortunately the radar is now on full when people see a Muslim in N. America. We start to wonder 'if'. We don't know which ones want to kill us and which ones don't. Which Muslim smiles in public and speaks of peace and non-violence yet privately is gleeful when planes are flown into buildings.

We are suspicious and that's the best defense against whackos wanting to blow up our children. Be vigilant. The more potential murderers we expose the less likely they are to attract similar nutbars to their cause in N. America. It's like puting the squeeze on gangs and eating into recruitment.

if, per chance there is another act of Islamic terrorism in the USA, the Muslim community is going to be under psycological seige. A visible Muslim getting out of a car in some towns will be literally followed around by vigilanties and their every move recorded. People turn hyper-aware when Islamic religious whackos threaten to blow their kidsup after blowing up someone else's family.

So you have been chasing around some Muslims have you, threatening them with your buddies?? I wonder which one is a real terrorist when you threaten a innocent person based on their religion.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

oldnugly said:
From what I've read they had no explosives nor any knowledge how to make a bomb; just a "wanna", and a conversion to "Islam?"

They probably couldn't organize a good circle jerk, but, the idea of blowin something up will get them many years in prison.

So, if you and a few buddies get pissed up some night and vent out loud because the government cut off your E.I. cheque, vent quietly. If someone hears you say you'd like to blow up whatever, you may go to jail and not even collect $200.00. This is likely to happen in spades if you are black or East Indian.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch; according to the Ottawa Citizen, lots and lots of people are clamouring to give up some "personal freedoms" for "increased security" (whatever that means).

.................People are "scared". Quick, code Orange, Red, Yellow. Do a CNN "terrorist sighting".

I agree that both the American and Canadian recent arrests seem to have been of the greatest bunch of jokers since the Three Stooges.

I am especially concerned about the US arrests, as it appears even the groups initial contacts with "al Queda" were with undercover police.

They had no weapons. IN MIAMI, where everybody has weapons!!?.

On the other hand, they were involved in a conspiracy to commit murder, and that is a serious thing, no matter if one considers them competent or not.

The Canadians were more serious and somewhat more competent, it appears at least. They tries to get weapons, and one of their plans was to simply walk into a shopping mall somewhere and start shooting. Serious stuff.

The fact they are deluded idiots doesn't mean they weren't dangerous.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

Colpy said:
oldnugly said:

I agree that both the American and Canadian recent arrests seem to have been of the greatest bunch of jokers since the Three Stooges.

I am especially concerned about the US arrests, as it appears even the groups initial contacts with "al Queda" were with undercover police.

They had no weapons. IN MIAMI, where everybody has weapons!!?.

On the other hand, they were involved in a conspiracy to commit murder, and that is a serious thing, no matter if one considers them competent or not.

The Canadians were more serious and somewhat more competent, it appears at least. They tries to get weapons, and one of their plans was to simply walk into a shopping mall somewhere and start shooting. Serious stuff.

The fact they are deluded idiots doesn't mean they weren't dangerous.

With Miami if the police officer led them on and got them prepared I don't know. That would have to be found out in a court of law.

And the Canadian ones the most serious thing they did was play paintball in a camp.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006

Jersay said:
They were African-Americans or Caribbean descent from what I have seen and maybe one or two of them were Muslims but not all of them so sorry Athabaska, I guess you will have to feel afraid of black people now. :roll:

Why didn't they convert to Islam?

Well, or why media didn't convert them to Islam? Then people would follow the news with enthusiasm. :wink:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

dekhqonbacha said:
Jersay said:

Why didn't they convert to Islam?

Well, or why media didn't convert them to Islam? Then people would follow the news with enthusiasm. :wink:

I think one or two of them converted to Islam however, I believe most are Baptist. Yeah alot more scarier if they could at least get some Islamic followers.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006

What I mean is that, the word terrorist reflects "Muslims" in head of most of people, at least in this forum.

I was joking about the thing that the media had to convert them to Islam.

So, many people, I believe, must be wishing for them to be Muslims.

Now, because many of them are not Muslims, people will try to find their connections with Muslims, to justify that "virtually all terrorists are Muslims." :wink:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

dekhqonbacha said:
What I mean is that, the word terrorist reflects "Muslims" in head of most of people, at least in this forum.

I was joking about the thing that the media had to convert them to Islam.

So, many people, I believe, must be wishing for them to be Muslims.

Now, because many of them are not Muslims, people will try to find their connections with Muslims. :wink:

Yeah i guess that is why they added Al Qaida they wanted links with Al Qaida. However, they are innocent until proven quilty just like the 17 in Canada.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006

In some other thread someone had told that Al-Jazeria is trustful because it shows the videos of bin-Laden.

And, media is trying to add word Al-Qaeda in this scene as well to attract more people to listen to them.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

dekhqonbacha said:
In some other thread someone had told that Al-Jazeria is trustful because it shows the videos of bin-Laden.

And, media is trying to add word Al-Qaeda in this scene as well to attract more people to listen to them.

Agreed.