Muslim MPs speak out

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060607.wkhanomar0607/BNStory/National/home

Two Muslim MPs argue that the Muslim community has been very active in weeding out extremists from its ranks, but admitted that more work needs to be done, not only within the community, but within the federal government.

Wajid Khan, MP for Mississauga-Streetsville, was first elected to Parliament in 2004. He and his wife settled in Canada after he spent eight years as an officer and pilot in Pakistan's air force. He is now a successful businessman.

Omar Alghabra, a rookie MP for Mississauga-Erindale, was first elected to the House in this year's election. He is also the former national president of the Canadian Arab Federation.

Mr. Khan recently encountered one of the accused, Qayyum Abdul Jamal, 43, at a local Islamic centre. The two men had a very public verbal altercation after Mr. Jamal apparently accused Canadian troops of being in Afghanistan to "rape Muslim women," Mr. Khan said.

"I had never really spoken or met this guy before, but I told the congregation that what this man was talking was utter nonsense, he is ignorant about the facts, he is spreading misinformation and that people such as him should not be allowed in the centre to speak to a congregation. I said you people should never, never listen to his comments," Mr. Khan recalled Wednesday.

The incident highlights the rift between the majority of moderate Muslims and the challenges they face rooting out extremism.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yes I heard about this the other day.

Mr. Jamal apparently accused Canadian troops of being in Afghanistan to "rape Muslim women," Mr. Khan said.

Ya right, I mean if your going to rape women, why go to a place where indoor plumbing is no where to be found.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
"I had never really spoken or met this guy before, but I told the congregation that what this man was talking was utter nonsense, he is ignorant about the facts, he is spreading misinformation and that people such as him should not be allowed in the centre to speak to a congregation. I said you people should never, never listen to his comments," Mr. Khan recalled Wednesday.

The incident highlights the rift between the majority of moderate Muslims and the challenges they face rooting out extremism.

The next part had no impact on your thinking process. It seems Mr. Khan dealt very effectively to diffuse these comments.

What is alarming is that the Harper government is not responding effectively to opportunites to reassure the community.