Canadian program presents alternative to Taliban

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060522.AFGHAN22/TPStory/

WEYAND, AFGHANISTAN -- In the wilds of rural Afghanistan, where the Taliban roam freely and government authority has disintegrated, Canada has launched a brave effort to offer an alternative to Taliban rule.

The aid project, the brainchild of the Canadian International Development Agency, was unveiled under tight security at a meeting of 300 tribal elders yesterday in a dusty desert village in the heart of Taliban territory in northeastern Kandahar province.

The new Canadian program, created by CIDA, is an unprecedented exercise in consulting Afghans on their own needs and priorities. It aims to rebuild the shattered authority of Afghanistan's local governments, giving people control of their own schools and clinics, and making the Taliban a much less attractive option.

"It's a uniquely Canadian approach," said an official of Canada's provincial reconstruction team in Kandahar. "It's never been done before. The whole point is community participation. If an insurgent comes to burn your school, you're more likely to defend it if it's your own school."

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
Hmmmm.. a worthy idea....except,I didn't realize there were "local" governments in Aghnaistan. Of it's 34 provinces, I wonder how many have anything other than "war-lord" governments?
Certainly, if local people are to control their destiny,then they must be allowed to have a say in it...I don't think they do,at this point.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Gosh- I think the Canadians have plagiarized that concept from the US invasion of Iraq!!!!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Canadian program presents alternative to Taliban

fuzzylogix said:
Gosh- I think the Canadians have plagiarized that concept from the US invasion of Iraq!!!!!

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

My, we are looking for a fight this morning, aren't we?

Although you are completely correct.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

fuzzylogix said:
ME? Look for a fight??????

Why, I'm just a dumb blonde!!!!!
Don't sell yourself so short, you bring something more to the Table and you know what it is.. :p

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
It's a great idea, however an idea that has been in effect since 2005. The Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRTs) work closely with the elders to create a strong presence in the Provinces. While the idea is based on things the U.S. has tried in Iraq, the truth is that Afghanistan is nothing like Iraq, therefore the plan has better potential to succeed.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Such a pity the Afghanis think WE bombed their village and killed their civilians. Couldn't they tell it was the Americans???

Damn- I hope they still like our reconstruction plan!

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

fuzzylogix said:
Such a pity the Afghanis think WE bombed their village and killed their civilians. Couldn't they tell it was the Americans???

Damn- I hope they still like our reconstruction plan!

Afghanis are pretty intelligent you know. And they know nationalities very well.

They also have a historical memory and would be able to compare this effort with that of the Soviets which undermined the local authorities and tried to replace them with central committees.

I am sure you are on the front lines of critiqing CIDA in other places they are working. In Africa CIDA and Canada is a joke. The little boys in khaki go out in the morning to dig a well and return early afternoon for their beer time. It's a waste of money and effort and the locals know it.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
and now they know if word gets out that the Taliban are in town they might blow the hell out of your village.

brilliant.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
BitWhys said:
and now they know if word gets out that the Taliban are in town they might blow the hell out of your village.

brilliant.

Collateral damage is very high in these campaigns. Reagan once said that a million more Guatemalans would have to die in the war against communism. That’s because the Guatemalan government would take out all the men in a village if they suspected sympathizers. And the guerrillas would do the same if they suspected informants. This is a very old strategy and all sides employ it.

The Khmer Rouge were experts at it and so were the Soviets in Afghanistan. It’s an immoral practice and should be a war crime. It probably is if an army is on the losing side.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Last week O'Conner stood in parliament and insisted "the rationale has not changed since the previous government committed the Canadian Forces to this mission four years ago" and that "Nothing will change."

now a painfully limited number of Canadians are left to discuss the merits of collateral damage.

so be it :|

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Unfortunately Afghanistan is a human tragedy of epic proportions. The Soviets totally destroyed Afghanistan and killed millions and left millions more homeless. They also dropped and mines on the entire country that haven’t been cleaned up. Prior to the invasion you had millions of Afghans facing death from starvation and disease. And the Taliban, bin Laden or Saudis were not interested in helping them.

So what are countries like Canada to do? Is doing nothing preferable to at least trying even though there are these senseless tragedies like the bombing of the village.

What Canada could do is officially protest to Washington each time it happens. To be taken seriously though Canada would have to have a much larger international profile and to do that is has to participate and offer solutions and not just complain and threaten to withdraw and do nothing. It’s not an easy situation.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
so that's our options? bomb civilians or do nothing?

"Canada" can't protest squat. We just extended while our troops were under OEF command, remember?