Canada asked to lead in Kabul

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060517.wxafghancan17/BNStory/National/home

OTTAWA — Canada has been asked by NATO to consider taking over the command of the entire Afghanistan mission in 2008, a senior government official says. This request, as well as a NATO meeting scheduled for next week in which the future of the Afghanistan mission will be discussed, is in part behind the government's sudden decision to hold a vote tonight on whether to extend Canada's commitment to the mission by two years, according to the official.

Canada has about 2,300 troops in Afghanistan. The official said that Canada could just "barely" take over the command in two years.

All of this is expected to come out later today from the government in the debate on extending Canadian involvement in the mission to 2009, the official said.

But Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay hinted at it yesterday outside the House of Commons:

"What has changed, obviously, is there is going to be a command change in the near future," he said of the need for a debate and vote.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That would help increase our standing in the world arena I think.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Putting Canada in Command of Afghanistan would mark the first time Canadians have been in Command of a Theatre of Declared Offensive Operations since the Korean War (1950-1953). This is a great opportunity for the Canadian Command structure to exercise everything they've been taught. Furthermore it means things in Afghanistan would be run the Canadian way, and therefore hopefully calm some of the worriers in this nation about American "occupation". In all this is a great honour for Canada, to be asked to lead a multinational task force in a war zone. NATO doesn't make a decision like this lightly, further proof that our Forces are getting the job done.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: Canada asked to lead

I just don't think things in Afghanistan really CAN be done "the Canadian way"

And as for increasing our standing in the "world arena" I don't see what value that would give us, really- if folks think we are a "sissy" nation then so be it, I am not ashamed of a country that largely keeps to itself and helps out when it can. Besides, with the US sliding into ruin, our "standing" will go up just by default

I STRONGLY oppose our country becoming "responsible" for the "reconstruction" of that country- the only way ahead is for us to step back and honestly assist in them helping themselves and from all I've read that isn't exactly what we're doing (I understand it's a "component" but it should be the whole deal, security can't be "granted" by an outside power without creating dependence and a dependent country should NOT be the objective)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Besides, with the US sliding into ruin, our "standing" will go up just by default

Considering this isn't reality, I can't see how the default will be applied.

Being viewed as a "sissy" nation by our enimies isn't a goal.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Its a pity the straight goods had to come from an unnamed official but that'll be par for the course with our current government of the day.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If they came out an announced it previous to the debate otherwise, people would be up in arms about that too....you can't win for loosing and that is what the Harper government is up against; antagonists. IMO.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

Really, Jay, you think it would have been FAIR, DEMOCRATIC and EXCUSABLE to have this debate, a vote and THEN tomorrow, say, announce that we are taking over the mission for an indefinite period of time as per the debate where this "little factiod" somehow didn't come up??

Disingenuous sounds like a euphemism for that tactic, and it ain't antagonism, it's concern

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Before any one gets too excited

All of this is expected to come out later today from the government in the debate on extending Canadian involvement in the mission to 2009, the official said.

But Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay hinted at it yesterday outside the House of Commons:

"What has changed, obviously, is there is going to be a command change in the near future," he said of the need for a debate and vote.

The article cites MacKay as saying the need for a debate is because of the change in the command structure. Obviously with the request by NATO Harper needs to have a debate and vote and that is what they are going to do.

mona

May 11, 2006
I feel that with every step our canadian soldiers take, takes canada one step closer to being the next target.
I felt a lot safer when the liberals were in power, with Harper in bed with Bush, he is putting this country in danger, I have talked about this to many of my friends and they think the same thing.

Obviously Harper never told the canadian public his plan for our boys and girls in the middle east or he would have gotten 0 votes in this country, hopefully the liberal will knock him our of office soon.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Perhaps you could qualify those statements?

The liberals sent the army in didn’t they?

How is Harper putting the country in danger....

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Always the responsibles are targeted rather than anyone else. Since Canada took the mission in Kandahar, we see that the number of death is rising.

If Canada is responsible for whole country, mosty canadian troops and diplomats will be targeted.

The bigger the number of soldiers the more causalities should be expected. If Canada takes the responsability for Afghanistan, more soldiers will be needed.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

We can't take over the entire mission in Afghanistan because we don't have enough soldiers.

Why don't we just cut and run from this mission. Screw the Afghanis.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I don't think we should be paying to help the people in Afghanistan when there is alot of people in Canada who need help.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Re: RE: Canada asked to lead in Kabul

dekhqonbacha said:
JonB2004
in fact, you're not helping Afghans for free. One soldier dies someone else will replace him/her. when there is an opportuny, like this one, canada cannot miss.

This mission is none of Canada's business. We should cut and run. I just don't care about the Afghanis.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Canada asked to lead in Kabul

JonB2004 said:
dekhqonbacha said:
JonB2004
in fact, you're not helping Afghans for free. One soldier dies someone else will replace him/her. when there is an opportuny, like this one, canada cannot miss.

This mission is none of Canada's business. We should cut and run. I just don't care about the Afghanis.

So, will you care when the Islamists, trained in the New Taliban Afghanistan, detonate bombs in the Jewish section of Montreal?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

When the Islamic radicalists set off bombs in Canada, then, and only then, will I support the mission in Afghanistan.