Gun Registry Dies Tomorrow!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
According to CTV News this evening, the Federal long gun registry will be castrated tomorrow.

Oh, the Joy!

Stockwell Day will announce a blanket, long-term amnesty for all long guns, thus effectively by-passing the registry while the government dismantles it. Responsibility for the old-style restricted weapons only registry will be returned to the RCMP.

Thank God.

Now let's give the Conservatives a majority, so they can dismantle the rest of the Firearms Act, and replace it with a sane plan for gun control.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Gun Registry Dies Tom

Holy cats! For real?? Gimme a link, this I gotta see.

About time is all I can say.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Tories will deregister long guns, shotguns: CTV

Canada's controversial gun registry will undergo big changes starting on Tuesday, CTV News has learned.

The government of Stephen Harper will give the RCMP responsibility to register and keep track of guns in Canada.

And the types of guns being registered will also change. From now on only handguns and semi-automatic weapons will be placed on the list.

"Whatever the government decides, obviously we will support in any way we can," RCMP commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli said.

On Tuesday, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day will begin the changes by announcing an amnesty for rifle and shotgun owners, a group of people who have long criticized the registry for targeting law-abiding hunters and collectors.

The changes will be announced as Auditor General Sheila Fraser releases the first of three yearly reports, including a review of the gun registry.

"The auditor general will be reflecting on elements to do with the gun registry and I'll be making some comments following that," Day said.

Information from that audit was leaked to the media last week -- although Fraser has said some elements were inaccurate. Fraser's report on the gun registry is expected to say:

That the former Liberal government may have tried to hide cost overruns from Parliament.
Costs grew because the Firearms Centre signed contracts with two competing computer firms.
Despite controversy and cost overruns, the gun registry has supporters. Police consult the firearms databank approximately 5,000 times every day and officers say limiting the types of guns listed will not help law enforcement.

"Our last six or seven police officers were killed with long guns," said Tony Cannavino of the Canadian Professional Police Association. "That's very sad."

Gun control activist Wendy Cukier said: "The only reason they would proceed to dismantle a system that is working as well as this one is to pay back the gun lobby."

Legislations creating registry was passed in 1995 as a response to the shooting of 14 young women at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique six years earlier by Marc Lépine. The intention of the registry was to keep track of all legally-owned guns in Canada and to reduce crime by making every gun traceable.

The government of Jean Chretien estimated that establishing the registry would cost approximately $119 million, with registration fees covering all but $2 million.

Instead, costs mounted to an estimated $1 billion by 2004-05.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleN...5/gun_registry_060515/20060515?hub=TopStories

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Obviously something visible for the rural votes and gun owners in this country who have long been the victim of discrimination.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
a guns nuts happy day... *shrugs* I'm not big on gun control, besides besides the basics getting covered, making sure the people who shouldn't have guns don't have them. But ay the same time I don't think this issue has ever been a big issue for me anyhow. Though if they ever make it legal for us to have ak47's or C7's I'm so getting one. lol

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Gee, I bet some Liberals are going to loose a lot of sleep over this.

Wasn't it Allan Rock who said the gun registry would be cancelled over his dead body? Has anyone checked in on him? :lol:

Now we need a small investigation to find out where all that gun registry money really went....

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
This has been long overdue in happening..in fact,it never should have been implemented in the first place. [ I should have kept all of mine :cry: ]

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Finder said:
a guns nuts happy day... *shrugs* I'm not big on gun control, besides besides the basics getting covered, making sure the people who shouldn't have guns don't have them. But ay the same time I don't think this issue has ever been a big issue for me anyhow. Though if they ever make it legal for us to have ak47's or C7's I'm so getting one. lol

Hey, you can't have a C7 because of the selective fire option, however you CAN own a semi-automatic only version. It is the AR 15, made by several good companies, and very popular on the taget range.

It is a restricted weapon, which means you would have to belong to a gun club, and could only shoot it on the range, but what-the-heck, vote Tory and we might just go back to sanity in gun control laws. Then you could use it the same as any other semi-auto long gun, despite the way it looks.

edited to say........

Oh Yeah.

The down side....

1000+++ bucks for a good one..........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Gun Registry Dies Tomorrow!

Jay said:
Gee, I bet some Liberals are going to loose a lot of sleep over this.

Wasn't it Allan Rock who said the gun registry would be cancelled over his dead body? Has anyone checked in on him? :lol:

Now we need a small investigation to find out where all that gun registry money really went....

Allan Rock is in the Sudan, trying to convince the Janjaweed to register their AK 47s..........then if he could just get Bono to lay in bed for a few weeks, peace would descend on Africa.

Rock helped organize the great Lennon-Yoko bed-in you know.

I used to really despise the guy, then I realized that he is a complete, absolute moron, a true believer in this crap, and one should not disrespect the mentally defective.

His greatest acheivement to date has been not drooling on his shoes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Out of curiosity,

What would it cost to fire a ten round burst from an AK - 47? I'm guessing enough for a pretty good lunch. Hell, a full clip from your Browning would probably get you a full meal at Mc gag and puke.

It was kind of nice in the airforce when two of us could fire off ten boxes of 9mm in a couple hours and not worry about it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Back on topic,

That bloody gun control sure as hell didn't have my approval. It was a stupid, knee jerk reaction to all those ladies being killed by that lunatic in Quebec. There was nothing wrong with the gun control we already had.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:
Out of curiosity,

What would it cost to fire a ten round burst from an AK - 47? I'm guessing enough for a pretty good lunch. Hell, a full clip from your Browning would probably get you a full meal at Mc gag and puke.

It was kind of nice in the airforce when two of us could fire off ten boxes of 9mm in a couple hours and not worry about it.

I don't own an AK or any 7.62 x 39mm rifle.........but a quick trip to my Canadian Access to Firearms advertising magazine shows fresh, clean Hungarian surplus ammo going at $162 for 900 rounds, plus, of course, GST and shipping. Say $.25 per round, $2.50 for 10.

Actually, it is more expensive to feed the Browning, except that I reload, and can produce ammo for about $.20 per round.

Not a cheap sport.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would suggest that this is a hasty initiative, and I would hope that the opposition parties do whatever is within their power in the House of Commons and the Senate to slow down this endeavour until a more thorough analysis of the consequences of this decision can be made.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
A hasty initiative that would require much study would be to introduce such a system.

Wasn't Martin the one who said "we don't live in a police state"?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am not aware of him saying that, but if he indeed did, then he would be correct. However, I would contend that seeing as how recent surveys indicated that a majority of the people of Canada prefer that the gun registry be retained or amended rather than terminated entirely, I would suggest that the Government of Canada should heed this advice.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
He did say it...he said it to the RCMP, over something they did (it escapes me what they did though)

If we don't live in a police state, one way to ensure that is to not make citizens register their weapons. Simple stuff really.

The majority of Canadians aren't politically smart enough to comment on these issues of rights etc and can just leave us normal people alone.

I love the “majority of Canadians line”. I saw a survey that said the majority of Canadians didn't know who the head of state was....and then poof, the Queen was gone! :lol: