Coca-Cola, Pepsi Ban Soda in Schools

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
It appears that Coke and Pepsi are going to limit the soft drink sales in schools in north america, citing studies showing better behavoir and better test scores where the drinks are not available.

I am sceptical of the corporate motives here. This must be a ploy to keep their customers somehow. They can expect to continue to sell their other products by doing this too, and they were worried because parents are starting to demand school boars ban them.

And worst of all, they will now be "pushing" the diet drinks with ASPARTAME as the only option, resulting in a big increase in the consumption of ASPARTAME.

Also, while googling for a link to post here, I came across the same article but from 1994 So maybe it is all hot air, been said before and nothing happened, just a media freebee.

Americas: Canada: Coke And Pepsi To Pull Soda From Schools -
Published: January 7, 2004, N.Y.Times
http://tinyurl.com/geu68

Coca-Cola, Pepsi Ban Soda in Schools in Clinton Deal
Wednesday 03 May 2006
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/050306T.shtml

Soda Distributors to End Most School Sales
May 3, 2006, 7
http://tinyurl.com/h5khf

The distributors forged the deal with the William J. Clinton Foundation and the American Heart Association.

Along with pulling out the non-diet drinks, they're also agreeing to sell only water, juice and low-fat milks to elementary and middle schools.

Cadbury Schweppes, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and the American Beverage Association have all signed onto the deal.

K - note - And its not just the fattening from sugar, there is a variety of chemcials and toxins in soft drinks that contribute to cancer and chronic illnesses, as well as hyperactivity. Aspartame especially has been linked to hyperactivity.

CTP OTS [see signature] - just take Ritilin if the ASPARTAME is making them hyperactive. This is more than an outrage, its criminal.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For some reason,

we don't feed our young children coffee and tea but we let them have Coke and Pepsi which have as much, if not more caffeine. Caffeine is a bitter alkaloid, found in coffee or tea that gives them their stimulant effect. If the public ever got together, they could drive both Coke and Pepsi out of business.

What would I drink my rum with then?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that, even though the premise of having drinks that are better for the body in schools, those schools would tend to lose a lot of revenue through removing things such as Coca-Cola® and Pepsi® — students would take their money elsewhere in-between classes, and at lunch.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
It's a good idea, but what they don't realize is high school students can go off campus and buy soda at the local gas stations. Near my old high school their's 4 gas stations.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
In a deal announced Wednesday, the largest beverage distributors agreed to stop selling non-diet sodas to most public schools, where childhood obesity has become an increasing concern.

Public high schools would still be sold diet soda under the agreement, but elementary and middle schools would be sold only unsweetened juice, low-fat milk and water,

Yes, they will still sell their other products - the result will be that our kids consume a lot more ASPARTAME.

Originally designed as a DRUG, Aspartame has a history that is a red flag warning. Rummy's [Donald Rumsfeld, the Bush hump] $millions in profits might give you a clue as to why it is still on the market. He was [inside the] head of the FDA for a stint.

Here are some links that explain its dangers:
Phenylalanine is a hidden danger to anyone consuming aspartame. Most consumers don't know that too much Phenylalanine is a neurotoxin and excites the ...
- the author got sick, misdiagnosed and then found out about aspartame and cured herself:
http://www.sweetpoison.com/

Aspartame is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods.
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm\\

But hey, if you have not heard this about the dangers of Aspartame before, you are not the type to listen to alternative news. Good luck with the mainstream news my friends. And mainstream medicine!! lol

Karlin

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I might be a Social Democrat, but I see ZERO sence in removing or limiting coke or Pepsi from the schools, as Five has already stated the students will just go else where. When you consider that these venturers often benifit the cash strapped schools I think their is little evil in having them.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Unless the students are forced to eat only proper foods and consume healthy drinks in the school's facilities, there is no way to stop consumption of unhealthy snacks while in school.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
I think not said:
Good, they should ban soft drinks in schools....period.

Its nice that you feel justified enforcing your views on others. Who cares if the parents of these kids are ok with soft drinks - its your opinion that matters. Right?

As for taking sugar drinks out of schools, I saw a study that suggested that the sugar = stimulent theory is just a myth. I don't remember where I saw it though.